Author Topic: BMW Test Days in Denver  (Read 7048 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
BMW Test Days in Denver
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2004, 04:10:20 PM »
Whooo *sucking on peace pipe* Here you go Randy...we at peace now bro!

Jonathan, I'll see you there mon!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.amandaspear.com/ubergrrl/index.html
BMW Test Days in Denver
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2004, 12:46:14 AM »
I'm doing my test driving and auto-x tomorrow.. perhaps I'll see some of you other peeps there.  They aren't going to try to  brainwash me into trading in my car for a 330, will they? Must resist...
MWJD?

Rocky Mountain Club B5

BMW Test Days in Denver
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2004, 12:46:14 AM »

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
BMW Test Days in Denver
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2004, 12:49:09 AM »
Yeah, imagine an S4 with much better steering response and more linear accelleration....that's the 330.  Of course, there's not that turbo *kick*.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
BMW Test Days in Denver
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2004, 03:01:12 AM »
I'm scheduled for tomorrow too.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to duck out of work for the whole day, but I'm hoping to make the autocross at 3:30 if nothing else.  So I'll look for ya there Amanda.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
BMW Test Days in Denver
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2004, 12:51:29 PM »
I am on the way out the door...

Auto Cross - 10:30
530 SMG - 1:30
330CI - 3:30

Man I am going to have a sore foot..

See you other fools there - I have a new hair style, so look for the bald guy 8)
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Noob_Shum

• Modded
BMW Test Days in Denver
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2004, 12:31:52 AM »
Test drove a 330ci, 325i convertable, and a 530i with the sports package, it would have been a heck of a lot more fun if I could have gone a lot faster around more corners than just the entrance past the stop sign down that last straightaway  :P   I think I liked the 530i the best, the 330ci may have been more likable if it had the sports package on it.

Tomorrow at 8:30 AM I do the autocross thingie, looked pretty fun, I swear a few of those X3's almost tipped over while I was watching some people drive around their track.

Jonathan

Noob_Shum

• Modded
BMW Test Days in Denver
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2004, 02:32:28 AM »
Wait, some of you were in that last auto X group Saturday evening / afternoon ?? Was it you who were almost tipping those lil buggers over??   :lol:  :P

Jonathan

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
BMW Test Days in Denver
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2004, 01:32:22 PM »
The autocross was fun.  The best part was hearing the instructor yelling at the other people in my class to give the car more gas.  “ Faster, Faster…”  I was shocked at how well those X-3 handled on the corners at speed.  I would never own one, but I was impressed.

In the after noon the 530 was impressive, for such a large car, it can move and handle.  I hated the interior of the car, too many sharp angles.  Also that stupid I-Drive system…

Then I hooked up with Alan for an adventurous ride in the 325CI and some excellent parking lot maneuvers!  I finished up the day with the Z-4 and some fun in the parking lot of my own.  I stopped just in time to see the Cops roll by…

All in all a fun day driving someone else’s cars, with their gas in that tank, but most importantly their tires on the car!
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Noob_Shum

• Modded
BMW Test Days in Denver
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2004, 01:39:06 PM »
The AutoX was fun!  Wish I could have driven more though... Yeah, that 530i with the sports package was my favorite of the ones I drove (even with the idrive, I think if I owned one, it would take but a few days to figure it out).

Jonathan

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
BMW Test Days in Denver
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2004, 02:51:08 PM »
AutoX was great! Ran into Jonathan as well as Alex and his wife...
My wife got the "most improved" award. I walked away with about 5 cones under the X3.
We then test drove the X3 and the 330 convertable eh. The 330 sucked beans but the X3 was nice to drive on the street considering that my wife is picking out the next car...hmmm. I'd own one.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Noob_Shum

• Modded
BMW Test Days in Denver
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2004, 02:53:54 PM »
LOL  Was nice to meet ya man, glad I wasn't the only one that was a little disappointed about the 330i  :P

s4LEX

• Stock
Z4 sounds nice
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2004, 07:47:57 PM »
Nice to see you guys too, and meet your wife. A nice event indeed. We need to see VW and Audi put something on like this. Autocross school with the new 3.2L A3 or an R32 ;)

I wasn't too impressed with the 330ci either, although it was hard to tell with the lame route they picked for the drive (it's for a good cause of course). Definitely won't be trading in the S4. I'm sure that was intentional since most of it was in 25mph neighborhoods. Less tempting to beat on their cars. Just past Regis, I was in first gear and blipped the throttle. Some homie hanging from his porch yelled "SLOW DOWN!!!" I was way under 30mph, I guess the Bimmer just sounded like it was going fast  8O

My wife was following me in a 2.5L Z4, so we swapped cars half-way. I much preferred the Z4. That would have been fun on the autocross course.

A couple of years ago we did a BMW mountain driving event where they gave us a 330xi for the entire day. Much more fun to drive the car on windy mountain roads south of I-70/Vail with no chaperone. Would have preferred a RWD coupe of course, but had a chance to check out the X-drive on gravel roads. Not bad, if you can afford a $40k luxury rally car!

The autocross was fun while brief. Definitely impressed by the pro driver instructors and the X3's handling. I'm not crazy about its styling compared to the E46 3-series, but if it comes out with a turbo diesel... The rear legroom was much better than the 3-series cars.