Author Topic: The old timers here will remember our dog Stu from both the  (Read 1511 times)

gragravar

• Supercar
The old timers here will remember our dog Stu from both the
« on: December 03, 2008, 02:20:46 AM »
superbowl party we hosted and from his stop by second creek for one of our track days. 

Stu was a great dog who unfortunately passed on today.

this really was the toughest decision I have ever had to make. to let go of a loving family member is just overwhelming.

the story starts about a month ago, over the past month stu has been losing weight. he dropped from ~80lbs down to 72 lbs when we dropped him off at the vet/kennel for our thanksgiving travel. over that same time period he has looked pretty forlorn. we could tell something wasn't quite right, but his behavior was pretty normal and we weren't too concerned.

After our thanksgiving vacation, we picked him up and brought him home. he got through that first night ok, but yesterday afternoon he was attacked by round after round of diarrhea. That was then followed by puking up all the food left in his stomach. we called the vet and they thought that we should keep our eye on him over night, and that we should bring him in this morning for a checkup.

at this morning's checkup they did blood tests. that was when we found he had the Pancreatitis and that his liver enzyme levels were up. this was enough to warrant more tests to determine what was wrong with his liver. late this afternoon the vet ran an ultrasound to try to image the pancreas and liver. they then called and said they wanted us to come down to review the results. at this point we knew things weren't gonna be good.

We went to the vet's office and the vet had a hard time working through the emotion to tell us that the ultrasound had revealed a very advanced cancer in both his pancreas and his liver. treatment was possible but would likely only extend his life a month or two and that it was likely he would spend much of that time in pain. At that point we knew what we needed to do, but the decision still wasn't an easy one. Sparing him a month or two of mysery and pain was the right choice.

The vet gave Stu his injections to euthanize him while we were there and Stacie and I were there to spend his last minutes with him.

We'll remember Stu as a great companion, a friend, a baby sitter, someone who protected us from the mailman, the prarie dogs in the yard, and anyone who approached the front door. Stu spent 11 1/2 of his 12 years of life as a member of our family. He will be missed.

RIP Stu.

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: The old timers here will remember our dog Stu from both the
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 02:37:10 AM »
RIP Stu :(

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 02:37:10 AM »

Noob_Shum

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 03:31:58 PM »
Sorry to hear about Stu  :( But he had a great home, a great family, and is no longer suffering. It's tough losing a part of the family like that. Let me know if I can help in any way Andrew.

Jonathan

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 05:29:37 PM »
Sorry for your loss Andrew.

masterqi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 07:07:28 PM »
That is sad he is gone but it is great he had such a good life with people he cared about.

verc

• n00balicious
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 11:07:19 PM »
Andy

I am so sad to hear about Stu.  He was a great dog.  He obviously loved your family the way he would put up with the abuse by the girls and protect them.  He will be terribly missed.

Mark
001.5 GLS 1.8T Manual APR Stage 1
Fresco Green
17" Ronal wheels

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 02:43:32 AM »
Aww, puppy.   Terribly sorry to hear that.  Porlolo is right, Animals should live forever.

I had to put my dog down a few years ago and it was very difficult.  Particularly because she was in good spirits much of the day despite kidney failure and some crying at night.  One night she seemed so ill I almost took her to the 24 hour vet to have her put down, but then the next morning she was cheery as ever.  This went on for a few nights, then she stopped eating, that was a pretty good sign that she was worn out and it was time.

I'm sure Stu had a great life, sorry this has to be a part of it.

Hang tough,
-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l