Author Topic: German/European front licence plate  (Read 2338 times)

c0ld_phuz10n

• n00balicious
German/European front licence plate
« on: November 03, 2008, 04:52:38 AM »
So it wasn't a big deal in NM, because they don't care about front licence plates, but apparently ya gotta have it CO and I never have been a fan of the look. I know you can stash the plate in your front window, but I have seen a few pics of cars sporting the European style plate on the front and I think it looks kinda cool.

So, any of you have em? Ever get hassled by the cops for it?

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
Re: German/European front licence plate
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 05:12:36 AM »
Actually, you have to have your CO plate below the window or some cops will bust you for it. You can have a Europlate with your CO numbers and get away with it. For example: CO 598 NSO

If you do have a europlate, you will get hassled at some point, especially if you park in downtown Denver. Some have gotten away with it for ages and nothing happened. Some, like me get pulled over and don't get a ticket. And some get a ticket no matter where they go. It all comes down to luck.
This is Mike Selander and I approve this message.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 05:12:36 AM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 01:41:12 PM »
It just falls under the arena of, if you like it, do it, but don't complain if you get a ticket. Other considerations if you have a euro plate up front....

You can be pulled over for it, which leads to potential inspection on the spot of your vehicle. So if you have modified suspension, exhaust, dark tint, etc etc etc, they could start really coming down on you. If you've been at a party or a bar, had a couple drinks, they can pull you over for the plate and who knows what else they might decide to cite you for.

Colorado has tried a few times to squash the front plate law, each time some situation has occurred, the last was a hit and run on a kid, the front plate fell off at the scene. That basically killed the bill.

Really the Euro plate is for show, so for DD use it could stay off.

As Mike mentioned, if you are regularly in Downtown Denver, I would go without it and run your state plate. It is like a $30 ticket and the meter maids LOVE giving those out. Easy money for the City. If you are outside of Denver it is much easier to get away with, but as I stated above, there are risks to anything that is considered "illegal."

c0ld_phuz10n

• n00balicious
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 03:00:56 AM »
Yeah, I live downtown, that pic in my intro thread was taken on top of my parking garage, so prolly wont go for it. I think I am gonna put it in the window and try to get out with a warning if they try to nail me for it.

Thanks for the info all.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 03:09:57 AM »
Fortunately, it is only like $30 (maybe $35 now?), go for it, after a few tickets I would probably give it up if it gets that far. Out of the hundreds of times I parked downtown in my old Passat I got about a dozen parking tickets for no front plate.

$30 * 12 = $360

Just think of the mods you could do or get started with. :D

c0ld_phuz10n

• n00balicious
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 04:20:06 AM »
True, that adds up to about an intake in no time. Gonna start on the outside here soon, been looking into getting the tails blacked out, might Joey mod the headlights(lenses are kinda foggy though).

KWilson

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 01:21:55 PM »
True, that adds up to about an intake in no time. Gonna start on the outside here soon, been looking into getting the tails blacked out, might Joey mod the headlights(lenses are kinda foggy though).

Those headlights are easy to polish up.  There's a good DIY on VWVortex.  Mine were really bad.  I spent about a half hour on them last week, and it's a night and day difference.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 03:57:36 AM »
I used to have a Euro plate on my last Passat and living and working in downtown Denver I've learned to avoid parking on the streets as parking enforcement will ticket your car for not having a front plate while checking your meter.
One time I was stopped by a cop because of the Europlate and he was being a total asshole about it.

The Euro plate will attract some unwanted attention, so beware.
Now I don't sport any plates at all, you won't get as much negative attention from the authorities, but it is still an issue.  But I do like the clean look of not having a front plate.

I do see a Volvo C30 around town with Euro plates front and back for about 6 months now (no temp tags), so I don't know how he gets away with it.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 01:23:58 PM »
I like 34k's velcro deal he does (or did).  industrial strength velcro (available at Lowe's and Home depot, etc) and just does quick changes when he needs his front plate.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 02:19:20 PM »
^ Alan gets credit for that idea.

I still do that basically. I found though that I don't need to remove the Euro plate. I can slide my Colorado plate behind it when I park and it grabs enough velcro to hold even if i forget it on there and drive away.

Here's another option that might work:
http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/product_info.php?products_id=3144&osCsid=e42aef0d763288af7aa2c735cda58ec6
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 04:47:06 PM »
I've had one for years now. Although I'm at the point, where I'm going to take it off. I don't like the attention it brings though. The clean look of no front plate at all is by far the best.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 06:06:41 PM »
I agree with JR!

The swift motorsports options are cool, but wont work on my car because of the FMIC.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 03:24:19 AM »
I love industrial strength Velco, it's the new duct tape!
I use it all the time for everything.

My next front license project would be installing high strength magnets behind the bumper so that it is a totally clean and invisible when the plate is off.  By simply gluing magnets to the back of any plate you could easily and securely swap or remove plates.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50