Author Topic: Gauge Placement  (Read 2484 times)

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Gauge Placement
« on: April 05, 2004, 05:18:12 PM »
I am looking to install a boost gauge in my cockpit, however the A-Pilar is not the best option for me due to the airbag. :mad:

Any suggestions....

Also are there any local sources for gauges and the necessary plumbing hardware?

TIA
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Gauge Placement
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 05:44:25 PM »
Good questions.  Usually I have seen people use the center console storage space to mount the guages.  Other than that an air vent works.  As for local places, I do not know.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Gauge Placement
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 05:44:25 PM »

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
Gauge Placement
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 05:50:15 PM »
Unfortunatly I can not use the center console as the new radio in the B5.5 takes up the whole area :-(

I am going to get in the car after work and go look at some auto part stores and see if I am able to come up with something.
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Gauge Placement
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 05:55:22 PM »
You are pretty limited here Randy, if the Center Console and A-Pillar are out, you have really 3 options I can think of:

1. A pod on the steering column which will cover part of your dash display

2. An Air vent mounted version, not sure if one is made for the Passat yet, but it would probably be very custom

3. Read the install instructions and buy the parts to build on integrated into your tach/speedo.

There used to be a pretty handy dandy one that used a Heads Up display on the windshield, it has since been discontinued, so I'm not sure if there are any others like that.

BlackA4

• n00balicious
Gauge Placement
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 08:59:56 PM »
Randy, I would recommend the vent location. The install is fairly easy if you have a general knowledge for electronics and plumming. I used a dremmel to trim the existing vent and make my own version of the AWE gauge. Saves a ton of money and looks just as good IMO. I bought the VDO Vision style gauge online for $30 or $35 bucks. Spent $8 bucks for plumming and T- fitting and DONE!!  Alot cheaper then their $200+ cost for a vent mount setup.
att

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
Gauge Placement
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 09:49:31 PM »
From what I've read, the A-pillar cover is attached with a retaining strap that keeps it from flying around when the airbag is deployed (it sorta hinges out of the way?).  I remember seeing a post on clubb5 by someone who put a gauge pod on the A-pillar in their B5.5 (although I can't find it now).  

I remember them mentioning that they made sure the gauge pod was very securely attached to the A-pillar cover (and they might have reinforced the A-pillar cover?).  They also enhanced (or replaced maybe?) the stock retaining strap with something more sturdy.  Maybe you could do something similar.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
Gauge Placement
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 02:03:47 AM »
Quote from: "BlackA4"
Randy, I would recommend the vent location. The install is fairly easy if you have a general knowledge for electronics and plumming. I used a dremmel to trim the existing vent and make my own version of the AWE gauge. Saves a ton of money and looks just as good IMO. I bought the VDO Vision style gauge online for $30 or $35 bucks. Spent $8 bucks for plumming and T- fitting and DONE!!  Alot cheaper then their $200+ cost for a vent mount setup.

Matt you read my mind - not too hard though as simple as it is...

I am in the process of pulling out the drivers side vent and cutting a hole in the vent or just removing the slats all together.  I would like to see what you did, just for reinforcement.  Let me know if you are available in the next day or two and hopefully we can hook up.  I also want to see the CAI you made.

I picked up the boost gauge tonight - Auto Meter for $55.  I figured the shipping savings and the instant gradification were worth it.

BTW I saw you driving to work today a little after noon just past Simms and Ken Carl.

PM me with a good time for you.
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065