Author Topic: polishing/waxing! need your input  (Read 4358 times)

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
polishing/waxing! need your input
« on: April 05, 2004, 06:04:40 PM »
Spring is here and I'm dying to spruce up my B5.5!
I would like to get everyone's comments and opinions on polishing and waxing.

As many of you know I have a silver passat and the paint has increasing amount of scratches on it (downtown life is not treating it well).  I'm ready in the next few weeks (or until we do a waxing GTG) to do a spring time cleaning and waxing.
I know there has been a big debate on what is better: Klasse, Zaino, Einzett, Zymol, Meguires, etc.
From what I know, waxes (such as Zymol, Meguires, Turtle Wax, etc.) takes more effort, leaves a white residue, stains unpainted plastic, and doesn't last as long as the new generation acrylic-based polishes/sealants such as Zaino, Einzett and Klasse.  I'm pretty much sold on the acrylic based products but would like to know the best procedure to do the ultimate paint spruce up to my car.

This is what I'm planning to do:
1. Thoroughly wash my car with dishwashing liquid to strip off any old wax and contaminants.
2. Wash again with regular car washing soap and Klasse All-in-one solution.
3. Dry off with a water blade and natural chamois.
4. Clay bar to rid of oxidation, fine contaminants and residue.
5. Use polishing compound and a power buffer to remove scratches and swirl marks.
6. Apply Klasse All-in-one (or Zaino Z-1 Show Car Polish Lok).
7. Apply Klasse Sealant glaze (or Zaino Z-2 Show Car Polish).
Do I need to apply anything else over the Klasse?  I heard that it is not necessary to wax afterwards, but it is also decreases the effectiveness of the Klass applications (Zaino also advises not to do anything beyond using their products).

I'm also going to invest in a professional power buffer (my cheapo Walmart orbital buffer broke at the last GTG only after a couple uses), could someone recommend one and the best place to buy it.

I'm also considering getting parts of my car re-painted due to some very major scuffs and scratches to the rear bumpers and fenders (if the price is right I may paint the roof panel black).  Should I wait until after I get my car painted to polish it (after the curing period is over) or is it safe to do it before.

Thanks!
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 11:03:42 PM »
Every product you mentioned is good quality. The differences between the  good synthetic products are so small i am sure you will have good results with any of them.  With that being said i am using the following setup. And give it a big :thumbsup:

http://www.properautocare.com/blacpershink.html

after i prepared the car with

http://www.properautocare.com/blpoiikit.html

then went over the car with this to reduce the swirls

http://www.properautocare.com/meninpol.html

then i applied some of this to the tires

http://www.properautocare.com/blwhtikit.html

pick up some of these for spares

http://www.properautocare.com/vipmicdetclo.html

YES this sounds really expensive, but if you buy it right the first time and take car of the equiptment, it will last a while.  I have used the Klasse stuff in the past and i switched to BlackFire this year because it is easier to apply and remove. It has the same (maybe better, only time will tell) protection and a great shine!

I think that was all i used last time. if you have ?'s please ask.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 11:03:42 PM »

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 11:13:10 PM »
Alan, I saw a reference on clubb5 recently about AtomicAlex not recommending use of dish soap on cars.  I didn't look into it further, but you might see what's up with that (she is a chemical engineer or something after all).

A Porter Cable random orbit buffer is recommended.  I've used Jon's a couple times and it worked great.  I think he got it from Griot's?  I think Winston has the same one?  I've used the Einzett polish and wax and I like it.  The wax is very easy to apply.

Do you have someplace at your loft to do all this?  I'm wishing I wasn't in a condo so I could detail my car in my own driveway/garage.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 11:24:10 PM »
You may also want to search the Rocky Mountain forum of AW.  Detailer's Paradise here in Denver is putting on a clinic sometime in the next couple weeks, but I'm not sure when.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 01:19:52 AM »
I also have a random orbital buffer.  I used it the last couple of years and have had great results.  You are welcome to use it.  Lord knows it is one of the few things I can offer.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 02:36:19 PM »
Polls and surveys on polishes and waxes don't do it for me since it's not scientific or acurate since it relies on popularity and hearsay.  IMO, side by side tests/comparisons are the best references.

I came across a few interesting tests and comparisons

This one from an Acura NSX forum is good:
http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html
they tested: Zaino Show Car Polish ($12.85), Zymol NSX Glaze ($144, ouch!!!) and its store bought cheaper brother Zymol Natural (less than $20), and Meguiars Gold Class ($12.95).  Zaino came in first and the cheap Zymol Natural in second.

Zaino, Klasse, Meguiars, Malms, Blitz, P21S, Zymol, 3M, and Blackfire tested here (they didn't test all of it on the same car, but the report is very detailed):
http://www.deckowski.com/wax%20off/greatwaxoffintro.htm

Someone on AudiWorld did a very detailed comparison.  He tested Zaino, Eagle One, Meguiars, Effortless, and Zymol all on the same car and on 12 zones (!) because each part of the car weather and soiled differently than others.  His study lasted for 4 months:
http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/17850.phtml

So far, I'm either staying with using Klasse or switching to Zaino Z2 (or even using both).

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 06:45:09 PM »
Quote from: "velo"
Alan, I saw a reference on clubb5 recently about AtomicAlex not recommending use of dish soap on cars.  I didn't look into it further, but you might see what's up with that (she is a chemical engineer or something after all).

A Porter Cable random orbit buffer is recommended.  I've used Jon's a couple times and it worked great.  I think he got it from Griot's?  I think Winston has the same one?  I've used the Einzett polish and wax and I like it.  The wax is very easy to apply.

Do you have someplace at your loft to do all this?  I'm wishing I wasn't in a condo so I could detail my car in my own driveway/garage.

I used to use dishsoap on my car a long time ago, but this will strip the wax right off of your ride.  I did this on my 2nd scirocco and it also eventually went ahead and stripped the paint too, so avoid using dishsoap at all costs!
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004, 07:04:05 PM »
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"

I used to use dishsap on my car a long time ago, but this will strip the wax right off of your ride.  I did this on my 2nd scirocco and it also eventually went ahead and stripped the paint too, so avoid using dishsoap at all costs!

I thought you want to strip off the old wax off so that you have a good clean base to polish on top of?
I generally never use dishsoap as a car wash, only before I do a major polishing/waxing as a good prep/base.

I remember in my childhood days I used to wash my parent's car every weekend with Palmolive.

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 08:17:25 PM »
I finally found the post on clubb5 that mentioned Dawn is bad for our cars.  http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75883&highlight=Dawn  
You might want to contact jwil or atomicalex and see what the deal is, if it's bad or ok.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2004, 02:48:31 PM »
Alan,
I want to schedule something with Jon sometime, he's got a buffer and I've got scratches and some deeps that I'm going to fill soon. He said he can get those all out no problem...maybe we can all hook something up with him sometime.
He' coming over to my place this afternoon and I'll ask him about it.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2004, 11:32:55 AM »
alan, contact me, we can work out your scratches, I need a new bottle of Finesset, the compound I use which is bought locally...but other than that, I am ready to go.

Dish soap removed wax, so that is not recommended.  I have a huge bottle of car soap and if you bring an empty bottle to put some in, I will sport you some of that as well.

Let me know what works for you, maybe we should schedule a specific time to only work on your car, as when everyone is here, less attention to detial can happen.  You know my schedule, off all week, so take a half day, and let's spend some serious time and effort getting the car cleaned up, we can clay bar it, buff it, then wax it.

cheers
jon

MattyB

• Stock
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2004, 01:21:12 PM »
Quote from: "03Indigo"
alan, contact me, we can work out your scratches, I need a new bottle of Finesset, the compound I use which is bought locally...but other than that, I am ready to go.

Dish soap removed wax, so that is not recommended.  I have a huge bottle of car soap and if you bring an empty bottle to put some in, I will sport you some of that as well.

Let me know what works for you, maybe we should schedule a specific time to only work on your car, as when everyone is here, less attention to detial can happen.  You know my schedule, off all week, so take a half day, and let's spend some serious time and effort getting the car cleaned up, we can clay bar it, buff it, then wax it.

cheers

jon

Finessit....Ahhh...finally, a product I recognize.  I haven't followed waxing/polishing in a while (not really that high a priority with a '90 suby station wagon, purchased for $1500, that has more dents and rust than good paint) however, I have an orbital buffer and have used 3M products for years.  One of our racecar sponsors was a detail shop and swore by 3M products.  Finessit with a sponge pad head on the buffer is outstanding for removing scratches, and the 3M wax seems to work well too.  I too can offer up my buffer at any waxing garage day.

Cheers,
Matt

Rian_Colorado

• Stock
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2004, 02:42:20 PM »
I've used the 3M medium buffing compound a number of times with great results. I also have the same Porter Cable orbital buffer. Paid 105$ for it from an on line vendor (no need to pay Griot or Meguires a LOT more for literally the same part number) I've been using it for several years with great results. I'm still not certain anything beats a hand waxed finish with a solid wax (not liquid) though. It certainly seems to last longer (I've used mequires gold class wax in the can) although I really like the results and ease of use of the Einzett (sp?) product. You can get the Einzett in a kit from parts for vw's, and I think still get a clubb5 disount!

Rian
55 MPH, slow enough to make you THINK you're safe, fast enough to kill you"