Author Topic: My worst nightmare came true....  (Read 126162 times)

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
My worst nightmare came true....
« on: April 05, 2004, 07:48:47 PM »
:cry: Last night I go down stairs to the garage to get a CD out of my Golf. (I park in a coverd parking garage for my apartment building) and my car is gone.
So at this point I feel like im haveing a heart attack I couldent belive that its gone. I go back up stairs to call CSPD and when I get them on the phone to report it stolen, the officer on the other end says that I cant report it stolen because its been REPOED!!! WTF!  :x  Their is no loan on the Golf so how can it be repoed I told him. He says that he dosent know it was reported to them as being repoed an hour and a half before. So I ask him what company repoed it so I can contact them and get my car back. He wont tell me he says that I need to call the bank and they will tell me.  At this point I lost it, [me yelling at the cop>] THIEIR IS NO BANK FOR ME TO CALL, I DONT HAVE A LOAN ON THAT CAR!!!! So he gets me to calm down and finally tells me who took my car.

I call the company this morning and they say that they had orders to repo it from such and such a bank and tough luck. So the arguement starts all over again, after about an hour of heated discussion the guy agrees to relese the car to me if I produce the title. I say ok what ever put the car back on the truck and bring it back and ill have the title in my hand when you get here.  He says no, bring the title down here and ill relese the car. So I lost it again. WTF I said how am I susposto get down their you have my damn car!  He finaly agrees to bring the car back to my apartment.

Im still waiting on them to get here and im praying that they dident tap the door locks or pull the ignition.

Ill update as soon as I get the car back.
Im still really pissed off about this whole thing... Damn repo men :evil:
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 07:54:09 PM »
8O  OMFG Greg, please keep us posted.  If i could right now I'd give you a beer and a shot of whiskey.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 07:54:09 PM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 07:54:52 PM »
Law suit for illegal repo?  They owe you money for your inconvenience at the least.  Stick it to them, they would have stuck it to you if the ball was in their court.

Sorry to hear about this, keep us up to date.

cheers
jon

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 07:57:21 PM »
Oh yeah, make sure you read closelt anything they may have you sign, it may be worth not getting the car back right away if there are dislaimers about not being liable for damage and things like that.

Sounds like whomever asked to have it repoed needs to be bitch slapped Richard Simmons style.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 08:01:15 PM »
Thanks for the support guys, my lawyer will be here in 5 min so when those punks get my car back up here he can scare the S#!t out of them.

As far as im concerned this crap is way unacceptable.

Fugazi

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 08:09:05 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"

Sounds like whomever asked to have it repoed needs to be bitch slapped Richard Simmons style.

Heck yeah, slap it to 'em.  And like Jay said, read everything closely, very closely...don't sign anything, just get your car, they have no right to hold it, and they are FULLY LIABLE for everything that happened, even if it was a mistake, they have to take responsibility for it, PERIOD.  If I screwed up like that in my job, I would completely lose my right to practice, and most likely be in Jail...they can be held to the same standards.

Put that Lawyer all over their arse.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 08:30:59 PM »
ARRRGGGG.... The nightmare continues, they get here with my car up on the flat bed and I tell the guy to let me up so I can inspect the car, he says no  with a nice smart ass tone in his voice. So Mr. Banks (my lawyer) chimes in, than take the car down he has the title. The driver says let me see the title, so I hand it to him and he looks at it for a minuate front and back and then says that my title looks fake. WTF! So im done dealing with this ass, I grab the title and my lawyer advises me to call the cops so thats what were waiting on now, When Mr. Banks says call the cops the guy hops in the cab and takes off with my car.

Even after argueing on the phone with the guy at the repo office if they had returned my car unharmed and in a timely manner I would have let it go but not now, they will pay, bastards.

Fugazi

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 08:44:13 PM »
I can't believe this Greg, it is definitley a scam, I guarantee if the lawyer wasn't there he would next say, give me $500 and I'll give you the car.

I am just dumbfounded by this, I cannot believe this has occured.  Get the po po involved and get it cleared up in your favor.  Sounds like a need for a settlement of timelost, lawyer fees, and a meticulous inspection of the car by a mechanic and bodyshop, do not release any liability until you know for sure the car is in the exact condition it was before they swiped it.

i'm sure Mr Banks will steer you in the absolute right direction, I just hate seeing someone go through something like this, it;s just horrible.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 08:58:45 PM »
I am getting pissed off just reading this shite!!!

I think the above advice is right on the money.  DO not release anyone of anything.  I would also findout who called to have the car REPO'ed to begin with.

The nice thing about a lawsuit is you can name any and all parites involved.

In my old days we would deal out some red-neck justice to these @#*%$(@!*#^%_(*@!#^%(*#@!^%(!&#^%_(^!#
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2004, 09:01:17 PM »
Holy crap, that is unbelievable.  8O  Best of luck getting this sorted out and hopefully your car hasn't been damaged.

(Jay, I noticed that the capitol B in the previous sentence was automatically changed to lower case.  Too funny! ;) )
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2004, 09:16:24 PM »
CSPD pulled up a second ago and I told whole story to him from the begining and he said that im totally right and he inspected my title and said that it looked fine to him. So being the nice guy that he is he is going to give me and Mr. Banks a lift down thier to get my s#!t back. im going to go over the car with a fine tooth comb before I take it back and I will sign nothing.
My lawyer has allready called his office to have the lawsuit papers drawn up.

Quote from: "gietl"
I can't believe this Greg, it is definitley a scam, I guarantee if the lawyer wasn't there he would next say, give me $500 and I'll give you the car.

I think your right Jay, im glad that I had sense enough to call my lawyer to be here, if he wasent here when that guy said that my title was fake I probly would have theratend to beat the hell out of that guy, Kraut-sled red-neck justice style.

Gotta run they are waiting on me...
Ill update as soon as I get back.

Fugazi

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2004, 09:27:42 PM »
Thinking about this some more and about how they got it on/off the flatbed.  They might have used a slim jim to unlock the door so they could release the parking brake and put tranny in neutral.  But that would have set off alarm (which they would probably want to avoid).  So they might have just used a winch to pull the car onto the flatbed with the tires not turning (assuming parking brake in use and/or tranny in gear).

Hopefully they did no damage, but you should probably get the rear brakes, tranny and both bumpers (where they probably hooked up the winch) checked out thoroughly.  Not to mention checking your tires for a flat spot! :P  Then have them (or the dumb-ass bank who ordered the repo) charged with auto theft! :evil:

Oh, and thanks for keeping the cop and your lawyer waiting while you gave us an update.  :-P
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2004, 10:42:12 PM »
Or if they have a VIN they can get a key from VW for about $200, so they could have a key and just unlocked it and started it and lined it up.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2004, 11:15:00 PM »
this is cazy shit... Maybe it is time to f some people up.. i has been a long week so far and it is only monday, I am game to help if you want to f someone up!

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2004, 11:20:47 PM »
Hey Greg, just got on the internet for the first time today.  WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?  I've never heard of something like this.  Like someone else said, I'm getting more and more  :mad:  with each update I read.  F'ed UP!  I'll be interested to hear all this turns out.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2004, 11:57:29 PM »
MY BABY HAS BEEN RETURNED TO ME!! :D Ok so we go down thier and the cop, my lawyer and I walk thru the door of this repo office and ask the lady at the desk to speak to the mannager, she was really nice and said that he would be back in about 10 min. So we sat down to wait on him. He shows up about 20 min after that and I go up to talk to him and I introduce my self tell him that im the one that he talked to on the phone earlyer and ask him niceley to return what is mine. He says that he wont do it.  (with the cop and my lawyer sanding behind me, dumb bastard) so the officer steps in front of me and says that if I want to press charges that the manager and the driver will be aressted for agravated auto theft or something along those lines. Now all of the sudden this guy is all about helping me.  He orders one of the guys standing around to go get my car off the truck and be REALLY carefull.
Im still pissed off, so I tell the cop that I want to press charges agenst them.  The manager of the repo office looked at me like he was going to swing on me or something he looked pissed.

The guy that he sent outside bursts thru the door and says the car is off the truck. I immediately turn around and walk out the door the car looks fine from the outside and the doors were unlocked.(I locked them the last time I saw the car in the garage). The manager and the rest of the crowd of ppl followed me outside, so I asked him how he got into the car he said that VW made him a key, and he drove it out of the garage and than winched it onto the flat bed.
He says that we should go inside and sign some documents, we go inside and he has a document typed up and he hands it to me with a pen and I hand it to my lawyer. He looks at the paper and looks at me and says no way. My lawyer says we will be takeing the car and not signing any thing, the manager says if you dont sign you cant take the car.
I said WTF your not even suposto have the car in the first place, I show him the title and the cop says that I dont have to sign any thing. We took the car and they were arrested.
We (my lawyer and I) are expecting that they will settle the lawsuit out of court, VW will be inspecting the car tormarow morning first thing.

Dont get me wrong im not a person who enjoys other people's suffering. If they would have said they were sorry for the whole thing when I talked to the manager on the phone and returned what was mine in a timely manner I wouldent have had any one arrested but they got what was comeing to them as far as im concerned.
And after all this no one at the repo office said that they were sorry about the whole thing, maby im nieve(sp) but that pisses me off.

At least my baby is home safe and sound.
   :)
P.S. sorry for the HUGE post.

Fugazi

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2004, 12:04:37 AM »
WOW.. It is just crazy that it had to go to this point. but atlast  you got eh car back. Hopefully it checks out ok from VW.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2004, 12:05:31 AM »
Wow Greg! I'm glad the resolution has been good, so far.  I'm glad they got arrested, and I'm glad you're going to VW to have the car looked at.

Which brings up another point, always keep your VIN covered! It's illegal in theory, but with the ease of getting a key and the relatively low cost in relation to the value of the car it is very important to do so.

Good luck with the rest of this Greg and I hope your baby is tip top and you don't need to seek any repair damages from them.  I certainly hope they take care of you, you wont be righ, but you need to be compensated for yout time, trouble and lawyer fees. Maybe a restraining order as well since I would be worried about retaliation since they know where you live and what you drive.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2004, 12:18:30 AM »
Also big thanks for all the great advice, although some Kraut-sled  red-neck justice is alot more fun and gratifying at the time im glad I handled it the way I did.

Thanks again Jon, Jay and every one else for the great advice. :D

~Greg

Fugazi

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2004, 01:10:34 AM »
Man-o-man! 8O   I am glad you got your car back.  It amazes me actually how easy it is to get a key.  I saw the report on TV last year about this happening, but I never thought it would happen to someone I know.  If at all possible please find out who made the key.  You might go after them for making the key without your authorization.  If not, at least warn the manager that this happened and that they need to update/change their policies.

P.S.  Who is your lawyer, he sounds pretty cool.  Seriously!
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2004, 01:31:05 AM »
That was part of the problem my local VW dealership made the key for the repo company. So thier is nothing that I can do about that really.  And it turns out that the first time they took the car it wasent illegal, when I produced the title and the guy took off that's when they broke the law.

My lawyer is Steven Banks, he is awsome, he has been a freind of my dad's since he was in collage.

Fugazi

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2004, 01:54:23 AM »
Glad to see you have you car back, but I am still fired up.  I am down for some seroious whooping, but it sounds like that is not in the cards.

I am on my way out to the car to cover the vin number right now.  I am going to use some black finger nail polish, that way if I do get pulled over I can remove it with a razor blade if the cop askes to see it.

Man this kind of shite pisses me off.  I work in an environment where I have to make some collection calls and to be honest I have no love loss for people that can not pay their bills, but when someone is screwed like this I feel even worse.  There is NO excuse.  Do not forget to get the name of the bank or who ever that call for the REPO.

I hope the car turns out to be fine, if it is not, that would just add insult to injury.

I am not one for BS lawsuits, however in this case, you are right to go for the throat.
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2004, 02:03:38 AM »
The one thing I do remember from the TV show (Dateline I think) is that you can cover your VIN with black tape or the sort just, as long as you can remove it if needed.  I definitely think that will be in my future.  You would think that they would create some sort of bio-fingerprint authentication that would reside on the fob and you could not start the car without a correct fingerprint.  They have it for the high end HP iPac's, why not?
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2004, 02:08:31 AM »
Quote from: "StarlightB5"
 You would think that they would create some sort of bio-fingerprint authentication that would reside on the fob and you could not start the car without a correct fingerprint.  

I saw a new Lexus comercial that has just what your talking about in the door handle. Thats some James Bond S#!t.

Fugazi

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2004, 02:50:31 AM »
Quote from: "blueGOLFturbo"
I saw a new Lexus comercial that has just what your talking about in the door handle. Thats some James Bond S#!t.

So who is going to be the first one with this mod??

Right now I have just completed the (middle) finger nail polish mod.

BTW - has anyone seen "The Boondock Saints"?  This incedent has reminded me of the movie - Getting back at the "bad guys".
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2004, 03:03:53 AM »
Quote from: "StarlightB5"
The one thing I do remember from the TV show (Dateline I think) is that you can cover your VIN with black tape or the sort just, as long as you can remove it if needed.  I definitely think that will be in my future.  You would think that they would create some sort of bio-fingerprint authentication that would reside on the fob and you could not start the car without a correct fingerprint.  They have it for the high end HP iPac's, why not?

I am going to put electrical tape over our VIN number tommarow night after reading this...

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2004, 03:17:09 AM »
Like you said, Greg, if they would have admitted wrongdoing and apologized they can go on their merry way.  But if they continually deny you what is rightfully yours, then try to get you to sign something (presumably) waiving rights to press charges, F 'em....and F'em GOOD.  Pricks.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2004, 03:34:42 AM »
Quote from: "Denver Pat"
\ F 'em....and F'em GOOD.  Pricks.

WERD!!!!! I just got back home from an evening with the family for Pasah...and I am glad to see your car is back, but press full charges, milk them for money, make them PAY for what they have done.   They had no right and need to be put in their place.  It makes me very mad.  I am glad you had a resource for legal suppport, you were fortunate, and the officer sounds like he was a big help as well, Kudos to him.

Maybe you can get enough money for a down payment on a house or something like that...or some major mod money...after what they did, you deserve it, and they handled themselves poorly.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2004, 03:54:50 AM »
I figured out how they got in the garage, the people that manage the apartment complex let them in!! I ask has every one lost all common sense? Thats just stupid. The Golf was taken at 11:45 pm or so that means the management eather gave them a key to the garage or came down and let them in at that time of night, im going down to the office tomarow when I get back from the VW dealer ship to figure out the whole story.

I hope this isant a never ending story....

Fugazi

MattyB

• Stock
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2004, 01:16:19 PM »
OMG!  This is a shocker!  I'm glad to read that you are getting it resolved, thanks to a suprisingly helpful police officer.  What was the repo guys' story?  Mistaken Vin?  Erroneous request from a bank?  I'm curious.  

/Matt