Author Topic: My worst nightmare came true....  (Read 125941 times)

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
My worst nightmare came true....
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2004, 01:30:23 PM »
Due to the unbelievable nature of this story, I have posted a link on ClubB5.com

I want all our brethren to be aware.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2004, 03:17:57 PM »
Well today has started out alot better than yesterday did.
I went down to my VW dealership and they checked out the car and found everything to be fine, I stood their while they went over the whole car inside and out, top to bottom.  After they checked out the car I asked to speak to the manager of the dealer ship, I wanted to introduce my self after the car was inspected on the off chance that the repo company had freinds that worked their. I wanted to make sure that my inspection was accurate.
I explaned to the manager what had happend and he allready knew what was going on. He apolagized for every thing that I had been through even though he wasent really responsable for any thing that went on. That was formal apology number one for the day.
About 10 min later my cell phone rings, my lawyer on the other end says to plan on answering the phone for most of the morning. "Alot of people screwed up" he said and they should be calling today to try and make amends. So I said fine. Drove the car pretty hard on the way home and every thing feels fine to me as far as suspension, stearing so on.

Next stop was the management office for my apartment complex. I went into the managers office and it was suprizeingly easy to get the whole story out of them. They apoligized right off the top, for leting the repo company into the garage.  It turns out that the repo company called the emergency service number for the complex and one of the matince guys was sent down to answer the call. He assumed that I had requested the tow truck because of car trouble. WTF I said it was like 11:30 or 11:45 at night where are they going to tow it to I asked? So I ended up fileing a formal complant with Simpson Property Group the actuall owneres.

The bank called and apoiligized for everything that has happend and they were hopeing that I wasent going to bring lawsuit to them too, I informed them that I wasent and they said that they are sending papers to my lawer for a bond that they are giveing me for my troubles, we will see what that tuns out to be, and the bank guy said that my formal apology was mailed today.
Im at peace with the bank as far as im concened, the apartement compex, and the dealer ship as well. The only people still on my shit list are the repo people. (lawyer) says that he has a meeting with thier lawer tonite last thing of the day to try and work this all out, they just want it to go away aparently, as do I.

Sorry for another HUGE post

~Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2004, 03:17:57 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2004, 03:27:17 PM »
Again, WOW, this has been the craziest thing I have ever heard. I am glad it is working out so far and most important, your car got a good checkup.

I am glad the bank is sending you a "bond" for whatever, hopefully it is a fair amount. I also hope everything is resolved with the repo company in a good manner, as long as you have no financial responsibility at all in this matter then I would say that is an adequate solution.  If it looks like you will be out even a $1 I would be pissed.

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2004, 03:30:38 PM »
Very glad to hear you got your car back!  Glad to hear they got a key cut.  That is better than having them drag the car around or popping a lock.  Did you make them give you that key they had cut?

Kudos to having the repo guys brought up on charges.  I'm still amazed that the dealer cut them a key though.  Can anyone do that or do repo men have some special license that allows them to get keys from the dealer?  I wonder if covering the VIN would have helped in this case though?  Maybe the bank had the VIN on file already?

Maybe your settlement will cover a down payment on an R32!  :)
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2004, 03:36:44 PM »
In this case it sounds like the bank had the VIN, however, if I drove to velo's house, grabbed the VIN and called and said I needed a key from VW, I could probably get it.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2004, 03:42:05 PM »
Your right Jay that's why the bank is sending me that bond or what ever, because they basicly handed the repo ppl keys to my car. I did get the vallet key that was made, and I made sure that it was the only one. The dealer ship said they only made one.

What I still want to know is where did the bank get my VIN from when I got the car a month ago I wrote a check for it. The bank should have never had my name or the VIN they have no claim to the car.

Im just hopeing this is settled soon
 :)

Fugazi

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2004, 04:54:16 PM »
Wow.  Thanks for sharing this with us.  Glad everything is working out OK.  Can't wait to see what finally happens with the repo people.
i]AEB Engines have better-flowing heads and a real throttle cable...[/i]

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2004, 05:13:12 PM »
yeah, what they are sending you is because they know they are royally screwed for sure, a small bond won't make up for a mistake like that.  Good of you to let them off the hook, I seriously doubt I would be as kind.  As for the repo people, they should be taught a lesson for their lack of professionalism to you, and the trouble and bad attitude they gave through the entire process.  Business can't operate like that, and when they do, they should be handled and taught a lesson.

I am just glad your car is back and that you have no problems with your car what so ever.  That is good news.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2004, 06:57:22 PM »
OMG Greg, this is the craziest story I ever heard!

Thank god the police officer and lawyer were there.  Nothing feels better than following all of the rules and really shafting someone for screwing you over, which these guys obviously were doing.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Lila

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
repo man
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2004, 07:22:17 PM »
I believe you need to be licensed by the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA) to be a repo man.  Be sure to register a complaint with them.  Also, I'd register a separate complaint with the Better Business Bureau.  Your lawyer can help you with this, or if you like, I can too.

-Mike Powers

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.amandaspear.com/ubergrrl/index.html
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2004, 08:07:51 PM »
Damn.. just read this whole thing today. I'm so sorry about your car! But glad you got it back.. hopfully you'll get something for your troubles...sheeit. I still can't believe it. I still don't get why the bank thought it needed to be repo'd.
MWJD?

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2004, 08:25:46 PM »
I went and met with the lawyer for the repo company to see what he had to say about the whole thing. They gave me 2 written apology's one from the owner for the way he treated me on the phone and in person and the other from the driver.
Im happy to say that we were able to reach an agreement to settle the lawsuit out of court.  Their is still a ton of paperwork that needs to be done but an agreement has been reached, were hopeing to get everything finished by sometime next week.
They will still have to deal with the criminal charges that are pending agenst them, im not willing to let that go. Hopefully they will learn their lesson the frst time, and will never treat anyone the way that I was treated. Meny people made mistakes in this whole thing the bank, apartment complex and most of all the repo people. I could bring suit agenst all of them but I dont enjoy other peoples suffering, I just wanted what was mine and I got it.

This is bold because this is the most important part. THANK YOU! again to every one on rmcb5.com who gave great advice and helped me through the very crappy sequince of events in the last couple days.
In the last 48 hours this thread has seen 40+ posts and over 2000 page views, that is just awsome guys, I feel like im part of one big family. I dont think I would have ever found support like this from just any group of people.

Thanks again everyone!

~Greg

Fugazi

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2004, 08:31:42 PM »
You're welcome Greg! We wouldn't let any of our own have to sufferthrough something like this without offering some constructive advice.  I'm glad the settlement is satisfactory and hope the paperwork doesn't take too long.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2004, 08:36:04 PM »
Greg - Glad to see that things are being taken care of and the situation is comming to a close.

Any time you need something - this group is going to be there.  I too feel like this community has made my life better - not just my car.

:thumbsup: RMCB5
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Turb0flat4

• n00balicious
Greets from WRXfanatics
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2004, 11:05:18 PM »
Hey there, this thread got linked to over at WRXfanatics.com, a site dedicated to WRXs. This is such a horrenduous story it's probably going to be making the rounds at quite a few car and bike sites very soon.

Really happy to hear that things worked out for you, dude, with no damage to your baby. But it maddens  :evil: me that this sort of dumb mistake can easily happen, and the first response of those bloodsuckers when you show them the title is to brazenly tell you it's a forgery.

I think you should raise all heck with the bank and find out how this sort of mixup happened. If you have money there, take it all out and flip them the bird on your way out.  8)

Ciao.  :-D

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2004, 12:18:33 AM »
Greg, I was just updating my GF on the situation and she brought up a good point.  Make sure there is nothing on your Credit about this.  Chances are if the Bank felt they needed to take a car back tehy had no claim to, they may have marred your credit report.

I would get back in touch with them and maybe get a copy of your credit report to ensure it is clean.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2004, 01:36:58 AM »
This is super!!!  :D  :D  :D

Greg, Unfortunately you are one of many newer club members that I have not had a chance to meet.  It is a wonderful feeling to know that you are accepted regardless of who you are.  You and anyone who joins is part of a wonderful family.  Though I am not one of the more visibly seen people I share in the joys and the pains via this web site.  I look forward to meeting you and the other new folks.

P.S.  It is great that this is starting to circulate around the other enthusiast sites.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2004, 01:38:12 AM »
The credit issue has allready been addressed. It cant affect my credit because I never owed money on it. It looks like a simple paperwork mixup at the bank.  My lawer pulled my credit and every thing is as it was before.

I was never really mad at the bank, everyone makes mistakes. Sometimes we make big mistakes, I can forgive mistakes even big one's. As far as im concerned this issue is done, I have recouped my expences for the inspection of my car, and my lawer fee's. Hell all I really wanted was my car back. If they would have given it back I would have had no problems. Bottom line is mistakes happen.
I dont blame people for their mistakes, I just ask that they pay for them. Im just glad my name is out of the issue, im square with everyone involved.

I am kinda suprised that this thread has made it to wrx sites allready, thats why our visitor count has been up in the hundreds all day.

Im just glad this is comeing to a close and I can put it behind me. It still makes my blood presure rise just thinking about it.

~Greg

Fugazi

RobD

• Modded
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2004, 02:02:14 AM »
Greg, I just read through this whole post.  I'm speechless.  I had to check the date on the thread to see if maybe this was April 1st.  

You have been wronged and the responsible parties involved should be held accountable.  Like Amanda posted above, I'm still not sure why the bank set all this motion.  I think you better review that bond and make sure it's appropriate for the gief you had to go through.  They are getting off lightly since they are the ones that started it all.

Good job with the attorney and the cop.  Considering your ripe age of 19 I sure think you acted like some that had many more years under their belt.  Way to hold it together!

Jay - Renee's point on the credit is a great one and should be checked thoroughly.

Keep us posted.

Rob

Drewish

• n00balicious
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2004, 02:50:20 AM »
Hey man, sorry to butt in, but sweet story, At first I was expecting you to say "april fools", But that is just sick what they have done! I would have lost it to find my car gone, I full support you 100% and thought you made all the right choice's.
What they did was by far "grand Theft Auto" and think Charges should NEVER be dropped.

Great job! now next time they will think twice about makeing mistakes

s15dude

• n00balicious
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2004, 05:06:23 AM »
I couldnt believe this post as I read it, by the way, my name is rory and I usually room nissan boards (www.zilvia.net) where i saw a link to this thread, I'm glad everything worked out for you and hope this happens to no one else!! I'm glad your car is ok too, i would be super pissed if this happend to me because i own my car free and clear as well, on the note of screw ups, my buddy and i were lookin for apartments, one of them gave us the print out they got of our credit reports, along with credit reports of 2 other people!!! can you believe that? we returned them and told them they are F*&$ing idiots and didnt rent a place there. just goes to show how stupid some people can be and how it can mess up lifes of innocent and hard working people..

nokeone

• n00balicious
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2004, 05:08:59 AM »
great story...well told...very entertaining to read...also very upsetting...glad it all worked out well for you...:)..

made it to Zilvia: http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=50389 as stated by the above poster...

Colin

• n00balicious
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2004, 05:09:18 AM »
I got this thread from my website, www.GMPerformance.org

Glad you got your car back.

Take care,
Colin

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2004, 07:16:47 AM »
Well Greg, looks like you made it big time...and that you have plenty of support not only from us, but from other enthusiasts as well...afterall, that is what we are about on RMCB5, enthusiasts and community.

Thanks to every one of the visitors from other sites that have offered support to Greg, I think it is wonderful how the community can come together in a situation like this.

best regards from the site administration and moderators to all our visitors...and to Greg for handling this is a calm and well though out way.

cheers
jon

hotgemini

• n00balicious
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2004, 08:02:19 AM »
Just another well-wisher, link seen on www.performanceforums.com

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2004, 08:32:15 AM »
Quote from: "blueGOLFturbo"

THANK YOU! again to every one on rmcb5.com who gave great advice and helped me through the very crappy sequince of events in the last couple days. I dont think I would have ever found support like this from just any group of people.

Thanks again everyone!

~Greg

Glad we could offer help, even in our small ways.  What goes around comes around, you have already offered many members of this board assistance in many areas, help with garage days, cell phones, advice, and friendship.  I think I can speak for every one of the many members that have met you in saying that we are glad this situation resolved as quickly as it did, and without damage to your car.  Make sure to keep us up to date, and also make sure you records are clean as Jay and Renee suggested, and that the repo company takes responsibility for their actions.  Responsibility in part of the apartment complex and your bank should also be accounted for, even though you feel like their mistakes are understandable, I doubt they would be as forgiving if you had made a similar mistake, they would hold you to every letter of the law or contract as it may be....and I feel they should be held to those same standards.

Lila has good points, they should be reported to the Regulatory Agencies and the BBB.  If you lawyer does not do this, I am sure Lila will be more than happy to lend you a hand or at least offer guidance on how to go about it.

At least you will be able to make Garage Day at my place next Wednesday, I am counting on your help with Van's suspension.

cheers
jon

adam1991

• n00balicious
I have a question...
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2004, 10:48:30 AM »
This is a great story.  If you had video of the scene in the repo man's shop where the cop stepped up to arrest them, I'd have paid good cash for that.

Anyway, maybe I missed something here.  If so, I apologize.  But I have one question: if you paid cash for the car, how did ANY bank have both the VIN *and* the matching address for the car?

I can see them giving the repo man a wrong VIN; typos happen. But they would also have given the repo man an address for the car. The repo man would have gone there and not found the VIN in question.

So how did a random bank that was NOT involved in the sale have both the VIN *and* the matching address?

98_SNAKE_EATER

• n00balicious
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2004, 11:30:56 AM »
That's INSANE!!

Glad to hear you got your car back though 8-)

Rick
Aztek T/A WS7 & 70 RAM AIR IV T/A
Moderator @ LS2, FAST LS1, FUELSLUT,
The F-Body Hideout, LS1Turd & ChopperForums

PsYcHeKaOs

• n00balicious
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2004, 11:36:12 AM »
I got this link from LS2.com.

I just want to say that you really have a lot of patience.  I would have flown off the handle & wanted them arrested right away!!  I would also have milked the for all that had for making me so mad!  I felt anger inside me when I was reading this!

I also have a story about idiot repo men.  I had my car repo'd. (Yes, I know this was my fault.)  It was a totally stupid thing on my part because ironically, I had the money to pay the bill, I just completely forgot.  I had every intention on paying it that day, when my car was missing, & my bank isn't very lenient.  1st, the bank said I owed them more money than I did.  They said one a check for $700 had bounced.  The kicker was, I had never paid them w/ a check.  Then it suddenly seemed like that was credited to me.  (They never admitted it to being paid by me.)  My car was broken down @ the time, as I was replacing my alternator.  I had to make an apointment @ 11:30 am to pick up my car @ the repo lot that was conveniently place 95 miles away!  I had to take a day off of work, & I called a tow company to come get it once it was paid.  The lot attendant was cool, but the owner was not.  He said I couldn't take my car because the plates were expired.  WRONG.  The lot attendant told me that the owner was pissed I hung up on him on the phone (because he wouldn't tell me who he was.)  So the tow truck came but went to the main lot.  I'm waiting 2 hours wondering where the tow truck company is & so I call them to find out.  They said they went & talked to the owner & he said I never paid the bill!  "But I have my receipt in my hand!" I said.  "I've had it for 3.5 hours!!"  I asked them to come back & they said no way.  They charged me $86.  I had to wait another 2 hours for another tow truck company to tow my car.  More money.  

I hate repo guys!

Victheslic

• n00balicious
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2004, 12:16:07 PM »
The bank and repo services can probably get your vehicle information and address from your local dmv/dot.