Author Topic: First Annual Albuquerque GTG May 14/15/16  (Read 40893 times)

Noob_Shum

• Modded
First Annual Albuquerque GTG May 14/15/16
« Reply #150 on: May 10, 2004, 09:00:54 PM »
Quote from: "UberGrrl"
Sorry dude, I'm at Pat's mercy... and besides I'm just along for the ride, so I get to drool on a pillow for a few hundred miles. ;) Or at least until Pat needs road head. ;)

8O  :lol:  :lol:  Hehehe no problemo, just seeing what I could do to preserve my much needed beauty sleep!  :P

Jonathan

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #151 on: May 11, 2004, 12:08:31 AM »
OK, it sounds like we'll be meeting Greg at 7:30 a.m. at the
Woodmen and I-25 gas station.   We'll exit Woodmen east, take
our first right (Corporate Drive) and we'll see him there on the right.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #151 on: May 11, 2004, 12:08:31 AM »

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #152 on: May 11, 2004, 06:10:43 AM »
Ment to mention this when I sent you the directions, Its Exit 149 just for refrence.

Greg :cool:
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #153 on: May 11, 2004, 12:50:39 PM »
Quote from: "UberGrrl"
... Or at least until Pat needs road head. ;)

You and Diédra are going to get along just fine...  :cool:  :lol:
i]AEB Engines have better-flowing heads and a real throttle cable...[/i]

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #154 on: May 12, 2004, 12:27:42 PM »
Good News - my 13-year old is going to Mexico for the weekend with a friend - NO KIDS IN THE HOUSE!!!  WOO-HOO!!!

A side benefit is that everyone gets to sleep on a bed!  So if anyone else wants to stay at the house, there's an empty sofa and air/foam camping matress (mattress?).

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2004, 02:54:29 PM »
Sweet. Im going to the brewery today to get the grog that is required to BBQ :D

Greg

Fugazi

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2004, 03:41:19 PM »
RACE GAS:
It's 101 octane, the place is at the intersection of 1st and Mountain.  It's $4.25/gal (!) - that's a $60 tank for me, but now that the weather is warming up, I'm at the raggged edge of timing so it's good insurance for the track. I'm filling up on lunch break tomorrow, because it's close to work.  Open 8-5 M-F, 9-2 Sat.  If you go on Saturday it will cut into track time; on Friday it would be faster to go there first before you come to my house.

Directions:

Head south on I-25 to the I-40 interchange.  The two far right lanes will be I-40 only, so get in the 3rd lane from the right.

Exit at Lomas,  #225, in the middle of the interchange.  You'll exit to a frontage road, still heading south.

The first light is Mountain, turn West(right).

3rd light on Mountain is 1st street - "Pacific Pride Commercial Fueling" on the NE corner.

To get to my house from there, continue heading W on Mountain to Rio Grande - it will be several lights, you'll be close to Rio Grande when you start seeing museums.

Head North (right) on Rio Grande to I-40. Enter I-40 West from the left lane on Rio Grande.

I-40 West to Coors North.

Coors N about 5-6 miles to Montano West turn left. (There's a Discount Tire and Dion's Pizza on the SW corner, and Walgreen's drugs on NW corner.)

Montano W to the first light, Taylor Ranch N turn right.

Taylor Ranch N to the second light, Taylor Ranch W turn left. (Taylor Ranch makes a LH turn at the light).  There's a big park and school on the SW corner.

Follow Taylor Ranch past a light, then curving around 2 or 3 blocks, then a big dip/arroyo on the road.  Take your first left past this dip, it's Basin Creek.

Then an almost immediate right at the stop sign, Deerfield.

Follow Deerfield around to the next stop sign, Thornwood, turn right.

I'm about 5 or 6 houses up.  Look for the beat-up green Scirocco out front. :)

Info Refresh:

7540 Thornwood Dr NW
Albuquerque, NM 87120
(505) 792-4741 H
(505) 385-0990 C

Staying at my house and definitely coming:
Denver Pat
UberGrrl
Boris
Greg

Other definites:
Noob_Shum
JDawg

Maybes:
JokerUNM

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2004, 04:15:44 PM »
Beautiful!  I've printed off Rusty's last post and will bring it with us.  I'm definitely going to stop at the petro store on the way to your place.  I'll likely mix it half and half to get up to about 2/3 of a full tank for Saturday.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Noob_Shum

• Modded
« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2004, 11:55:13 PM »
I am very much looking forward to the trip, but got a CEL on the way home from work today....  If I can possibly make it, I am so there.  Trying (as I type) to get the CEL checked out to see if it is minor or severe.  If anyone knows Rian and can get a hold of him, can you let him know that I am looking / begging for some VAG-COM goodness  :) (guy on Audi World said that he had his VAG-COM).

Jonathan

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #159 on: May 13, 2004, 12:00:07 AM »
As long as you can't feel anything wrong with your car, it's unlikely you need to be concerned.  Is your gas cap on tight?  You'll get a CEL if it's not.  Did you get gas today?
-Chuck Patterson

Noob_Shum

• Modded
« Reply #160 on: May 13, 2004, 12:03:47 AM »
Going to check that now, but yes, I normally tighten it till it starts clicking.  I *did* get gas today.

Jonathan

Noob_Shum

• Modded
« Reply #161 on: May 13, 2004, 12:28:18 AM »
Gas cap was all the way tight, started her up and let it idle for about 5 minutes, seems to be ok atm  :P

Jonathan

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
« Reply #162 on: May 13, 2004, 05:53:03 AM »
Hey everyone,

I will be bringing my Vag, so if you want to check it out we can.  Also, I am planning to rent a lady, I mean hotel room if anyone else is thinking of doing the same.  Otherwise, looking forward to getting out of town!

- Jason
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #163 on: May 13, 2004, 06:35:33 PM »
<Pastor>Blessings on your trip!</Pastor>

Y'all have a fun, safe drive down tomorrow.   Probably won't hit the Internet again 'til Monday...

SEE YOU TOMORROW! WOO-HOO!!!!!

Noob_Shum

• Modded
« Reply #164 on: May 13, 2004, 10:46:56 PM »
I am staying at the Inn at Paradise  (at least I called them to make a reservation).  Not sure what type of rooms they have  (I did ask for a non-smoking room though).

Code that caused the CEL to come on was  17947  (Clutch Vacuum Vent Valve Switch ?).  Thank you Rian and Andrew for your help and patience dealing with my ramblings as I tried to set up a time to get things checked out.

Jonathan

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #165 on: May 14, 2004, 03:26:07 AM »
Man I'm so excited I know I wont be able to sleep tonite... So I should be a plesure at 7:30 tomarow morning.:D

Fugazi

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #166 on: May 17, 2004, 01:12:01 AM »
SO?

How was it?

And don't even post if there aren't any pictures to helps us feel like we were there as well!!!
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #167 on: May 17, 2004, 11:26:28 AM »
Aside from a few of my own tire incidents on the way down there, it was TONS of fun.  We got some killer video and hope to put together a sort of video/documentary show for those that weren't there.  It may take a few weeks, but it should be pretty damn good.
-Chuck Patterson

Noob_Shum

• Modded
« Reply #168 on: May 17, 2004, 11:41:44 AM »
My main computer is jacked, can't do ANYTHING on it, so can't post the few pictures that I do have on my camera.  It was an awesome weekend.  Had some tire troubles on the way out, but it was worked out (finally!  :D ).  Not even sure how fast we would have gotten home if we kept up our "speed" that we had going for the first couple hours, but man....  Jason you are a wild man ;)  

Jonathan

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #169 on: May 17, 2004, 11:43:16 AM »
Yeah, Jason took over Boris' roll just fine.  Setting the cruise at 120 makes the miles just fly by!
-Chuck Patterson

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #170 on: May 17, 2004, 01:11:31 PM »
The pictures are coming, Chas!  I don't have any but like Pat said, there's some killer video, and some really great pics.  I can't wait to see it all.

As for the weekend - Wow.  All I can say is Wow.  I had a great time.  It was so much fun to have all of you down here. Pat, Amanda, Jonathan, Jason, and Greg - it was a pleasure and a privilege to have you in my home.  The only thing better than good cars is good people, and I had both this weekend!

More details to come, I gotta move along for now...

I'm ready to do it again!  Next track day is July 18th...

Noob_Shum

• Modded
« Reply #171 on: May 17, 2004, 01:17:42 PM »
Thanks Rusty for your WONDERFUL hospitality.  It was a great weekend, and a LOT of fun hangin' with everyone.  You and your wife were sooooo good to us, thanks for letting us come down, feeding us, and letting us invade your house for a few days ;)  :P  I really liked that track, even though it was a bitch to get around some parts of it (for me at least!).

I can't wait to see some of that video, Greg was hanging outside our car windows, and outside of Jason's sunroof to get some of the footage, it should be SWEET!

Jonathan

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #172 on: May 17, 2004, 01:20:54 PM »
Like Noob_Shum said, thanks again...A LOT.  I don't think my own mom treats me that well when I visit her! :)   And I surely don't eat that well at my own place!
-Chuck Patterson

Noob_Shum

• Modded
« Reply #173 on: May 17, 2004, 01:27:27 PM »
Quote from: "Denver Pat"
And I surely don't eat that well at my own place!

Mmmmmmmmm the grub..... /DROOL  8O  :)

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.amandaspear.com/ubergrrl/index.html
« Reply #174 on: May 17, 2004, 01:28:04 PM »
I third that.. you guys were nothing but wonderful to us, and I really really appreciate it. I hope we can do the same for you and Diedra sometime this year.

I honestly can't remember the last time I had as much fun as I had over the past 3 days.

I am about to check out the stills and videos I took this weekend.. will post when I get them up to the gallery.
MWJD?

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #175 on: May 17, 2004, 08:26:24 PM »
OK here's my "diary" of the weekend.  I had such a great time...

We started out Friday kind of late.  Pat had some tire(s) start blistering on the way down, so the replacement process was an arduous combination of "411" calls and a double-back (or was that a triple-back?) to Santa Fe.  But he got the right set of killer Yoko AVS ES100's and all was well.  I had a couple of great goodies come along with the ride - the Kamei grill from Jay's B5, and a brand-new shiny FMIC from a speed shop near Chas. We had a great time Friday night just hanging at the house and nibbling, swapping stories while Diédra grilled burgers and brats - she made these huge 1/2+ lb burgers and I don't think anyone could eat the whole thing! After dinner, I got out the whiteboard with a track map on it and attempted to teach everyone what I knew about the track.  Problem was, I forget unless I'm actually in the car on the track!  We didn't hit the dragstrip because it was late and everyone was tired.

Friday night was not much sleep due to adrenaline for the next day's track experience...

Saturday we started by meeting at Twister's for breakfast burritos.  This place looks like the tacky diner from hell, but it has great breakfast burritos!  At the track a little after 8, everyone got in the gate OK and we set up the canopy.  Driver's meeting at 9, where we split up into groups:
Group 1 = 1:30's laptimes
Group 2 = 1:40's
Group 3 = 1:50's
Group 4 = rookies to the track
The rookies (everyone from RMCB5 plus a couple others) got a short classroom lesson from "PJ", while I took "flag training" from Wallace.  I had agreed to help them run the event and that's what they needed most.  So I manned the flagstand most of the day, except when my group (Group 2) was running.  Anyway, the first run group for rookies was led by "PJ" in a big silver van, showing everyone the lines.  It was hilarious!  After the first run, everyone bolted downtown to get 101 octane race gas, a big plus especially in the alititude (5800') and heat.  Although the weather wasn't really too hot - it was a perfect day, slightly too windy but still great.

Everyone from our GTG represented well, running laptimes in the low 1:50's and high 1:40's.  Pat was especially happy at this track, running consistent 1:44's and 1:45's, which is a great time for a newbie at the track.  I was running consistent 1:44's and 1:45's - my best time is a 1:42 in cold weather.  Pat was down on boost - he was only getting 5 lbs!!! Pretty sure it was just heatsoak - it ran fine in town later that night.  Time to get that FMIC installed!!!   Props to Jason for man-handling that W8 around the hairpins with his P/S gone out, and props to everyone for having a fun but safe time.  There were a couple of jerks on the track, but none from our group. I got to black-flag three different cars! - ahh, the power...

After the track we had great Margaritas and New Mexican food at Sadie's restaurant.  The night was still young so we hit the 'strip!  Pat was still down on boost, hitting mid 17's, but Jason and Jonathan kicked butt with mid-to-high 15's.  I was hitting high 17's - my previous best was 16.91, again in cold weather.  Pat and I both need an FMIC!!!  And I need a richer A/F at WOT...  Coming back from the 'strip, we hung out at my house for awhile, enjoying vids and pics from the day, then had a good night's sleep for the next day.

Sunday started with breakfast at my house - good ol' Tennessee cookin' - bacon and sausage and eggs and biscuits and gravy - yum.  I had fun cooking for everyone!  Then we hit our mountain drive, which some people said was the best one they'd ever been on!  We started out from ABQ, going the back way up into the Jemez Mountains.  We took it kind of easy - backing off to let slower traffic get way in front so we could haul ass through the twisties!  Stopped at the hot springs, hiking up to see them but leaving the experience to another time - allofasudden, it was 12:15 and we needed to head to Santa Fe for lunch!  So we hauled ass outta there, blasting through the crest of the Jemez toward Los Alamos at very satisfying speed.  Passing through Los Alamos we headed down the front side of the Jemez led by Jason in the W8 with Greg sticking out the sunroof videotaping the line of cars careening down the mountian!!!  What crazy fun, especially when we flew by a cop coming up the other direction and he just smiled!

Lunch in Santa Fe was yummy at one of our favorite restaurants - the Oasis Cafe - all organic eclectic wonderful cuisine.  Buffalo burgers and lamb enchiladas and all sorts of other interesting and delicious dishes.  A great lunch out on the patio with a car crash in the nearby intersection for entertainment.  Then it was time to go - d*mn I wish we lived closer together, 'cause I just have the best time with you guys.  Greg came back with us to Albuquerque so he could catch a flight, and then everyone was gone... :-(

Our house is always open - you don't have to wait for a special event.  But the next track day is Sunday, July 18. :D

OBTW I was tickled that I made it through track day w/o wearing out brakes or tires.  But this morning, I got a good look at my pax side front tire - it's bald!  Totally, evenly, worn completely out.  That's some good alignment!!!

Thanks everyone!!! We had a GREAT time!!!  See you again, the sooner the better!

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #176 on: May 18, 2004, 12:00:40 AM »
Sounded like you guys had a blast.  I really wish I could have gone!
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #177 on: May 18, 2004, 12:09:32 AM »
Here are a couple of tid bits for you guys. This might hold you over untill I can get home from vacation.
This is one of the most amazing photos that I have ever takein in my life, Rusty send me your email and ill send it to you with a couple others that I took of your car.

This is a shot of Jason in his W8 crossing the line at the track.

And this last one is a pic of an old VW that we saw on the drive down, this thing is lower than it looks and the windows are darker than they look 8O

These are just a few of the shots that I took, I ended up with about 150 shots to sort thru and I took about 4.5 hours hours of video I think, that Jason needs to sort thru and compose a DVD (hint...hint):D Some of the video was shot out of Jasons sun roof at good clip. It will be awsome!
 Jason is a very busy guy so look for a post on that in a couple weeks.

Thanks to everyone that came along and to Rusty and Deadra (sorry if i killed that spelling) for every thing I had a total blast!!

Greg

Fugazi

Noob_Shum

• Modded
« Reply #178 on: May 18, 2004, 01:07:56 AM »
hahaha  that Bug was funny, I was gonna say something as we passed it, but I didn't know what to say  8O  :lol:  Now go back out there and get to golfing, or whatever you are doing out there Greg! :)

Jonathan

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #179 on: May 18, 2004, 02:44:08 AM »
That's a killer shot of that bug.  Crazy ride, yo.  And that shot of Rusty's car...so well centered, perfect backdrop and road.
Check out the rubber Jason left by the finish line.
-Chuck Patterson