Author Topic: 16"tire recommendations?  (Read 2602 times)

Lila

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
16"tire recommendations?
« on: April 07, 2004, 03:15:06 PM »
Hi all,

I need new tires for 16" vw rims. I've got a set of 15" steel rims for winter tires, so I'm not looking for all seasons. But, I do tons of highway driving (about 100 miles a day) and I don't want to be buying new tires every year --- so I can't afford the super sticky race compounds....

Any recommendations? Thanks.

-Lila

2000 Passat Variant v6 5spd 56k

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
16"tire recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 03:29:34 PM »
Welcome to the cult, I mean club!

There are a few of us running with Kumho Estca 712 Supra’s.  I have them on my 17 and I think they are the best bang for the buck.  I got mine for 105.00 each at Discount Tire.  Yours should be a little less due to the smaller size.

I am sure other’s will give you their 2 cents
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Rocky Mountain Club B5

16"tire recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 03:29:34 PM »

BlackA4

• n00balicious
16"tire recommendations?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 05:03:40 PM »
I have TWO sets of tires for a 16" Rim that I need to get rid of.
Both sets have almost brand new tread on them.
I will get details when I get home from work and some pics if your interested.

Selling cheap.... 8)
att

madigan

• Modded
16"tire recommendations?
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 05:04:50 PM »
Quote from: "kraut-sled"
Welcome to the cult, I mean club!

There are a few of us running with Kumho Estca 712 Supraís.  I have them on my 17 and I think they are the best bang for the buck.  I got mine for 105.00 each at Discount Tire.  Yours should be a little less due to the smaller size.

I am sure otherís will give you their 2 cents

If you want a good, all-around tire I would definitly check out Continental ContiExtremeContacts. They've gotten rave reviews and are very reasonably priced...very quiet too.
mad wagon

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
16"tire recommendations?
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 12:08:39 AM »
Quote from: "madigan"

If you want a good, all-around tire I would definitly check out Continental ContiExtremeContacts. They've gotten rave reviews and are very reasonably priced...very quiet too.

I have contiextremecontacts on my Mini, Gragravar has them on his Allroad and Hawk has them on his Audi A4.  I LOVE these tires, very, very reasonably priced, great traction in all conditons, nice sidewal, quiet, except when you really push it in corners...but all Continental tires make a little noise, related to the compounds they use.

If you have questions about my tires, or want to try them out in the Mini so see what they can do, drop me a line and we can do a test drive sometime.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
16"tire recommendations?
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 12:14:11 AM »
I agree with Kraut-sled.
If you are looking for a value-packed performance tire, Kuhmos are the way to go.  It has great performance and durability which is not commonly found in high performance tires.  It also has a nice aggressive tread pattern with a center groove, similar to the ultra expensive Michelin Pilots.

The only fault I found with them is that one they are past their half life they tend to be a bit on the noisy side.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

RobD

• Modded
16"tire recommendations?
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 04:42:27 AM »
Not sure of how much you want to spend but I was going to buy the Toyo Proxis 4 from treadepot.com. until I found a deal through a fellow forum member.  Eric1.8t sold me a used set of yoko es100 in a 225/50/16 for 100.00.  A bit worn in the corners but for the price it was a great deal.  Please consider what you are getting for the price.  The Toyo's should run around 80.00 each delivered.  Considering the tire you are getting thatr should be a good price.

Rob

Lila

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
got tires
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 03:05:39 PM »
Thanks for all the input, and the offer to sell the used tires (too late, damn).  I got a set of Continentals from Barnsley Tire in Boulder for $80 each.  Not very exciting, basically the oem tire, but the price was good and I needed to do something right away due to the snow and rain (and the old tires looking dangerous).

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Re: 16"tire recommendations?
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2004, 03:24:15 AM »
the yokohama ES100's are a good deal.

RobD

• Modded
16"tire recommendations?
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2004, 10:40:59 AM »
Eric - I drove about 170 miles up to Loveland and all around town yesterday and those tires did great in the rain.  I pushed them at times to see what kind if grip i would have and they were super sticky.  Thanks again for hooking me up!

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
16"tire recommendations?
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2004, 02:01:36 PM »
Quote from: "RobD"
Eric - I drove about 170 miles up to Loveland and all around town yesterday and those tires did great in the rain.  I pushed them at times to see what kind if grip i would have and they were super sticky.  Thanks again for hooking me up!

the funny thing is rob that i sold you the tires becuase my wife wanted some of my junk cleaned up.. And guess what?  8O She tells me she wants new wheels and tires for her car a week later..  So Now I am buying another set of 16's for her car and another set of yoko ES100's. I may just get her a set of those Conintals that jon was talking  about instead.

RobD

• Modded
16"tire recommendations?
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2004, 03:02:56 PM »
Eric - I've read good things about the Toyo Proxis 4.  I was going to go this route before your deal came along.  Check it out.

http://www.treadepot.com/tireswheels.c/orders/index.html

Go to toyo and look up the Proxis 4.

Thanks again!

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
16"tire recommendations?
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2004, 05:11:48 PM »
Quote from: "RobD"
Eric - I've read good things about the Toyo Proxis 4.  I was going to go this route before your deal came along.  Check it out.

http://www.treadepot.com/tireswheels.c/orders/index.html

Go to toyo and look up the Proxis 4.

Thanks again!

i was thinking about the Toyo Proxi 4. I currently have the Toyo T1-S on my car for summer and the Toyo Observe on her car for winter... Guess i should probbaly stay with Toyos. The Proxi 4 seems like a nice all around tire for her car..