Author Topic: Hello. young B5 noob  (Read 3412 times)

Sir Stig

• n00balicious
Hello. young B5 noob
« on: December 08, 2008, 03:52:02 PM »
Hello,

I didn't know there is a B5 club right here in Colorado. That's brilliant! I'm currently looking (seriously) at buying an AWD B5.5, so I thought I should probably register here. I love the Passat; it looks nice and meets my needs. Of course, then there's the timing belt and friends... lol. Hopefully I can gather some good info here to help me in my acquisition.

- 8) Sir Stig (anyone here watch Top Gear???)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: Hello. young B5 noob
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 04:03:18 PM »
Welcome! Most of us are familiar with the Stig :)

Definitely ask questions and if you come across one you like we'll be happy to help answer any questions. There are also some great local shops for getting that pre-purchase inspection done.

We've been around here for a little bit, not everyone has B5's anymore, but we still have the knowledge to share and still enjoy them.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 04:03:18 PM »

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 05:07:25 PM »
welcome...

Who's the stig?  and what is a Top Gear?

Life's too short to be taken seriously

Sir Stig

• n00balicious
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 05:31:07 PM »

Who's the stig?  and what is a Top Gear?

;D lol, nice one!

Quote from: gietl

Welcome! Most of us are familiar with the Stig Smiley

Definitely ask questions and if you come across one you like we'll be happy to help answer any questions. There are also some great local shops for getting that pre-purchase inspection done.

We've been around here for a little bit, not everyone has B5's anymore, but we still have the knowledge to share and still enjoy them.

That's good. It's not very good when you make a Stig joke and no one knows who he is... Yes, I'd like to know my best bets for pre-purchase inspection people. I will search the forums and see what I turn up as well. I've been looking at one with 90k+, so I think it needs a new TB (I assume the lingo is the same here as other Passat forums). Anything specific I should look out for on the V6 AWDs?

-EDIT-
Okay, I think I am going to ask for a $1000 discount so that I can have the TB and water pump replaced as per http://www.rmcb5.com/forums/maintenance/timing-belt-pricing/
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 05:48:22 PM by Sir Stig »

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 08:16:05 PM »
for pre-purchase inspection, go see randy and todd at autobahn premier service in Denver.  they are forum sponsors here and are great guys to work with.  (and they do all the work on my car so I am a little biased.)

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Sir Stig

• n00balicious
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 11:31:29 PM »
I will look in to that, thanks. They seem to be highly knowledgeable from what I have read, and if they sponsor a forum/club like this, I'm sure they must be good. Maybe you're biased because they give you a referral discount  :D ? jp

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 02:32:23 AM »
Oh boy do I wish.  Randy, can we implement this referral program?  PLEEEEEEEEEZ!
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 05:09:22 AM »
Speaking (sort of) of the stig... anyone see this weekend's Top Gear yet.  It was a really good one..  I really liked Clarkson's review of the Ford Fiesta (esp towards the end - "Is it green?"  ;D I was rolling).

But man, watching the stig drive that super7 reminds me of watching my dad drive his lotus.  I need to find money to start racing again.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 02:36:23 PM »
Oh boy do I wish.  Randy, can we implement this referral program?  PLEEEEEEEEEZ!

LOL. What?! Retroactively?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Noob_Shum

• Modded
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 03:08:48 PM »
Welcome! If you want a FWD B5.5 Wagon, let me know :)

Jonathan

Sir Stig

• n00balicious
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 12:40:45 AM »
I know, I saw your ad. Like I said though, I'd really like AWD because I live up in high country. We've got an icy snowy mess.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 01:31:04 AM »
LOL. What?! Retroactively?

Great idea!  going forward would be good enough though.  my car requires plenty of ongoing maintenance.