Author Topic: New Member Needs Advice  (Read 2578 times)

rrdster

• n00balicious
New Member Needs Advice
« on: January 23, 2009, 10:51:58 PM »
I am getting my son's 2000 S4 ready for sale. First it has to pass emissions, and the OBD shows a number of codes. He tells me when he put a performance chip in it, the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) came on. Can I put the original chip back in it myself, or is that something I should get a pro to do?

Also, I need to replace a pair of tires. Source for used tires, anyone? I am looking for Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW so it will be a matched set.

Thanks in advance for your help.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: New Member Needs Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 11:29:11 PM »
Hi -

On the performance chip, does he have two different ECU's?  They will be little boxes, computers if you will. Sometimes people buy one already chipped. Otherwise, the ECU has been reprogrammed and depending on the chip he has it depends what you can do.

I would find out what the codes are, they are stored even after the light goes out. You can go to a pepboys/autozone/checker and get the codes pulled.

If you search for the codes online or post them here then you should be able to get answers. My guess is the 02 sensors are bad, it's pretty common, as well as the diverter/bypass valves could be shot, Mass Air Flow sensor. All things that are known to be issues, especially as the car ages.

On tires, you can check with performance wheel and tire, or check craigslist. One word of advice, the car is AWD, all 4 wheels/tires need to be the same diameter and have equal air pressure or you will cause excessive wear on the AWD system.

I usually would recommend against replacing just two tires unless you can guarantee that the ones you find are at the exact same wear levels as the other two you will continue to use.

Give us a little more info and hopefully we can get you some better answers. Good luck!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 11:29:11 PM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 01:55:51 AM »
There is a used tire place off I-25 near furniture row, I think it is the 52nd avenue exit.  They are on the east side of I25, you can see them from the highway. 

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 04:30:07 AM »
I think that is Performance Wheel and Tire. The nice thing about them, if that is who I am thinking of. They have "take offs." Which are tires with typically really low miles, that come on new cars. So Say someone buys a new Audi and wants a new set of wheels right away or maybe a more high performance tire they usually go in within 5K miles (maybe more) and get new tires. These guys hold onto them and resell them I believe.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 09:59:17 AM »
I thought Performance Wheel was on Sante Fe?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 11:45:56 AM »
Oh duh, yeah, for some reason I swear I thought you wrote I-25 and Sante Fe, maybe that's what I wanted to see. :D

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 01:48:25 PM »
do you need glasses now? ;)

rrdster

• n00balicious
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 04:58:42 PM »
Thanks geitl and 03Indigo. I sure appreciate your guidance. I will go down to Performance Tire (on Sante Fe  ;D ) today. The Stock Chip was soldered in, so I can't reinstall it. I will go down to a local shop and have them tell me what needs to be done to get this Bad Boy to pass emissions. Thanks again.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 07:30:41 PM »
You can either go to Autobahn Premier Services, or Autosport Werks in Broomfield and they can solder the old one out and the new one it.  I think even Avalon can do it as well.