Author Topic: A few first mods  (Read 4236 times)

Jherman

• n00balicious
A few first mods
« on: January 29, 2009, 02:56:10 AM »
I just got my first car, a 2001 Passat b5 just over a month ago.

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/2732/40039887lp7.jpg
ImageShack - Image Hosting :: img0152zn9.jpg

iphone pics :\

Anyway---
I'm interested in a couple things right now for my 2001 Passat.

1. Im interested in lowering it. I just had my alignment done when i replaced a tire (from when i just bought the car, the tire was not matching). Will I have to get the alignment adjusted again? I'd rather not waste that money a second time. I found a set of Eibach lowering springs on Craigslist for $40. they fit 1998-2001 VW Passat. springs read EW1563002WA & EW1358001VA. How much would it cost to get these installed? Would I have to readjust the alignment? How much would they lower the car?

2. The light tint film looks pretty cool. Does anyone use it? good/bad? any of it illegal? Anyone knows and places to buy some good headlight/rear light tint film (pre-cut preferably).

3. Id like to get some more white looking h7 low beam bulbs. I don't really want to get a HID kit, just some of the brighter, whiter, bulbs, maybe some of the ones with a slight blue tint. Anyone know a good brand or place to get these?

4. Id like to change my pedals, but I'm worried about installing them. I'd prefer not to drill, but most pedals look like I'd have to do that. I saw some that had these things that bend behind the pedal and loop around and screw in to itself somewhere. Anyone know a good place/brand/model of pedals that aren't the super expensive ones? <$50/set for auto trans?

5. K&N intake for Passat b5- cost? How easy to install for someone who has never changed much under the hood?

6. Yellow engine light is on. The picture of that light in the book looks like it has a little lightning bolt, but the one lighting up in my dash doesn't, its just a picture of an engine. My car is approaching 80k mi very soon, could it be a regular maintenance light? What does it cost to have the error codes read?

7. Ive also heard of taking something off of the air box to make the intake louder. How do i do this? are there any guides anywhere? ive also heard of replacing the filter with and aem dry filter is a good mod. Any advice/experience?

Im just looking for any cool, easy mods so let me know some of them. :D take a look at the car, what should i do?

Any help would be appreciated! thanks!

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
Re: A few first mods
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 03:23:06 AM »
First off, welcome to the club!

On the tint I would really recommend having a professional do it. Give Dan @ Tinteks a call, tell him that Mike sent you. Several members on here including myself use him and have nothing but good to say.

You should be able to find H7 bulbs anywhere. Just check out autozone or napa and they'll have it for way less then the stealership would.

I would find someone with a VAG-COM to scan the CEL for you, this will tell you exactly what is going on.

I don't know much about the rest of your questions but can guarantee someone on here does!
This is Mike Selander and I approve this message.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 03:23:06 AM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 01:12:46 PM »
I just got my first car, a 2001 Passat b5 just over a month ago.

Congrats! Looking at the pictures it appears you have a 2001.5, a  mid year production vehicle which was known as the "Facelifted" Passat or in NADA and other guides the "New" Passat. It also had the platform moniker unofficially of the B5.5 since it was still a B5, but there are some slight differences between a B5 and a B5.5, mostly cosmetic.

1. Im interested in lowering it. I just had my alignment done when i replaced a tire (from when i just bought the car, the tire was not matching). Will I have to get the alignment adjusted again? I'd rather not waste that money a second time. I found a set of Eibach lowering springs on Craigslist for $40. they fit 1998-2001 VW Passat. springs read EW1563002WA & EW1358001VA. How much would it cost to get these installed? Would I have to readjust the alignment? How much would they lower the car?

You would definitely need an alignment after installing the springs, it is a DIY job, but given the cars age you may want to consider replacing the shocks as well as they probably wont hold up if they are still the original shocks. If they have been recently replaced, then stock shocks can be used, but keep in mind when they wear out you will be pulling everything again and putting in new shocks.

For what you listed, be sure they are the right spring, because if they are just indicated for 1998 - 2001 then they may only be for the B5 and not the B5.5. I has slipped my mind, it might just be a weight thing as to why there would be a difference.

As for drop, it depends on the spring, race springs will have the most drop, I think around an inch or so, the sport springs (which I had on my old B5) are like 3/4" and I think there is another set that is around 1/2?

Here is a pic of my old B5 with Eibach sport springs and 17" wheels:

2. The light tint film looks pretty cool. Does anyone use it? good/bad? any of it illegal? Anyone knows and places to buy some good headlight/rear light tint film (pre-cut preferably).

Yes it is illegal, but many people do it. You can usually get away with it on the tails, I would not do it to the headlights. You can also paint the tails, bit doing the tint is probably easier to remove.

3. Id like to get some more white looking h7 low beam bulbs. I don't really want to get a HID kit, just some of the brighter, whiter, bulbs, maybe some of the ones with a slight blue tint. Anyone know a good brand or place to get these?

I believe I used to run Sylvania Silverstars which were like a hyperwhite or something like that. They were definitely a whiter appearing light. It helped in some regard.

4. Id like to change my pedals, but I'm worried about installing them. I'd prefer not to drill, but most pedals look like I'd have to do that. I saw some that had these things that bend behind the pedal and loop around and screw in to itself somewhere. Anyone know a good place/brand/model of pedals that aren't the super expensive ones? <$50/set for auto trans?

I think you will have to drill, I don't recall there being any straight up replacement pedals. Though you can never really tell, eBay and sometimes even Checker/Pepboys/Autozone have some decent looking "sport" pedals. Again, most are screw in.

5. K&N intake for Passat b5- cost? How easy to install for someone who has never changed much under the hood?

Is this car a 1.8T or a V6? If it's a 1.8T I am not a huge fan of intakes for that motor. The Mass Air Flow sensor is really sensitive and gets gunked up real easily. I don't thik intakes are terribly hard to install. I believe you just remove the airbox and put this in it's place. Just make sure not tu suck in too much water and try to keep it from pulling in hot air from the engine.

6. Yellow engine light is on. The picture of that light in the book looks like it has a little lightning bolt, but the one lighting up in my dash doesn't, its just a picture of an engine. My car is approaching 80k mi very soon, could it be a regular maintenance light? What does it cost to have the error codes read?

There is a thread under the maintenance forum on this site for VAG-COM owners, send one of them a message or post for help and hopefully someone has some free time. Otherwise most stores like CHecker etc can pull the codes.

7. Ive also heard of taking something off of the air box to make the intake louder. How do i do this? are there any guides anywhere? ive also heard of replacing the filter with and aem dry filter is a good mod. Any advice/experience?

Well you either need the airbox or a intake, like a cold air intake, which is what I thought you were asking about in an earlier question. If you install a cold air intake, which is an oxymoron in my opinion, the air box gets removed. It will make things louder if that's what you're after. Search on here and on Passatworld.com for the "Colorado Airbox mod."

Jherman

• n00balicious
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 11:09:04 PM »
wow! thanks a ton for all that info! im new to this and that was a lot of help. I posed in a few other forums and this was by far the best help I recieved. :D

I think I will be active on these forums more so than the other ones :)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 11:46:53 PM »
I'm glad we could provide some insight, these cars are great, fun to drive and can last forever. Doing some mods here and there make them that much more fun. :)

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 01:13:52 PM »
Welcome to the board and congrats on the new (to you) car.

a couple thoughts in addition to what has already been said:

For lights, if you dont want to do HID's I'd track down a set of PIAA Xtreme White Plus bulbs.  You can even buy them direct from PIAA:
http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-H7.html

I run these on my motorcycle and like their light output.  not as good as HIDs but still an improvement.

for tinted tail lights, use Jon's Tinted Tails - I know many folks that have been really happy with their work:
http://www.jonstintedtails.com/

your check engine light is not a maintenance light, there is something wrong.  get the codes read and that can set you on the path to getting the right fix done.  might be as simple as not having the gas cap on tight enough, or could be worse.  BTW, if that light starts flashing, then dont drive the car.  Usually a flashing light indicates a misfire that could do damage to the motor.

as for intakes, airbox mods (Darintake), etc, that is a touchy subject.  they can mess with the MAF readings and make your car run worse.  or if done right it can be better.  I'd go to Autobahn Premier Service and have a chat with Randy and Todd about what performance you want to get and what is the best way to get there.  Those guys will treat you right and will be straight with you in their assessment on what you can do vs what you want to spend. 

again, good luck, and welcome to the board.

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein