Author Topic: 2000 V6 Passat  (Read 2607 times)

RW

• n00balicious
2000 V6 Passat
« on: January 29, 2009, 08:04:51 PM »
Whats up? Allow myself to introduce... myself;

My name is Rob and I drive a 2000 V6 Passat.
I found this site while searching for advice on fixing up the Passat. I just got married and it is actually my Wife's car. The car has several issues.

1)I have to replace the valve cover gasket

2)The heat/ac fan is starting to squeak when coming on

3)The paneling of both back doors get caught on the body when opening

4)Antenna needs to be replaced

5)On occasion there are some electrical gremlins too...

hmmm... nevermind after listing the problems and thinking about others I didn't post, I have decided to drive it into horsetooth and report it stolen

~Cheerio!

RW

• n00balicious
Re: 2000 V6 Passat
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 10:55:12 PM »
Okay, now that's done. Now in the meantime, while waiting for the police to tell me they can't find it and the insurance company to send me a check, can I get a ride to work?

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 10:55:12 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 01:19:22 AM »
Hi Rob!

Well I tried replying earlier, but I think I forgot to hit the submit button, what a n00b.

Anywho...sounds like you married into this car huh?

The squeaky fan could just be dust/dirt from the years, or a it's wearing out, the door paneling thing sounds very interesting. Antennae, should be pretty simple, just the antennae or all the wiring for it?

Electrical Gremlins, it is a VW you know? Just kidding, some have been known to be a bit quirky on the electrical side.

Welcome aboard and we'll do what we can to help you through the odds and ends, and if the popo ask, I have no idea how the care ended up in the reservoir.

RW

• n00balicious
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 04:58:17 AM »
Thanks!

Despite the work it needs,  I really love the dub. Since marrying into it, I replaced the pcv lines, I replaced the headlights and corners (which totally made the car look new again) and I learned the hard way that you donít ever,ever disconnect the battery when working on the car.

I was replacing a relay for the SAIP and so for safety, I disconnect the battery. Relay replaced, hook it all up, and it wouldnít start. I found someone with a VagCom and they had to realign my throttle body. But the car was right in punishing me for trying to do anything safely.

Sites like this are great because of the people who are on them. Iíll just look around for a bit, but I look forward to talking with all of you.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 01:20:23 PM »
Whats up? Allow myself to introduce... myself;

My name is Rob and I drive a 2000 V6 Passat.
I found this site while searching for advice on fixing up the Passat. I just got married and it is actually my Wife's car. The car has several issues.

1)I have to replace the valve cover gasket

2)The heat/ac fan is starting to squeak when coming on

3)The paneling of both back doors get caught on the body when opening

4)Antenna needs to be replaced

5)On occasion there are some electrical gremlins too...

hmmm... nevermind after listing the problems and thinking about others I didn't post, I have decided to drive it into horsetooth and report it stolen

~Cheerio!

welcome to the board. 

one thought on the AC/Heater motor.  you will have to clean it or replace it sooner or later, but you can get by for a while by trying the following:  1) wear some warm temp clothes.  2) turn the temp setting on your climate control to as hot as it will go.  3) Turn the fan up to its MAX setting.  4) drive around this way for 15-20 minutes - it will get really hot in the car, but this helps to purge the stuff causing the motor to squeak.  and might buy you several more months before you have to really address the squeak.  FWIW, I have been doing this procedure every few months in my audi for the last 2 years and have not yet gotten to the point where I feel compelled to pull the heater motor.  this just keeps working for me.

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

RW

• n00balicious
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 03:56:12 AM »
I gave it a try and it worked. Thanks. I'll keep doing that as long as i can too.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 08:21:38 PM »
glad it worked.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein