Author Topic: What's the skinny on AudiWorld?  (Read 2103 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
What's the skinny on AudiWorld?
« on: March 16, 2009, 06:06:48 PM »
If you aren't aware:

http://67.201.17.77/farewellgoodfriend.html?forumname=rockymtn&f=1

I know the various forums have been up and down all weekend.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: What's the skinny on AudiWorld?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 06:09:46 PM »
Oh, here it is...hopefully this goes better than last time!

http://www.audiworld.com/news/09/vb-migration/

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 06:09:46 PM »

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 06:15:42 PM »
yep - vb migration.  forums went down about 1pm mtn time today.  was supposed to last 1-3 hours.  we'll see.

they are not keeping the KAWF format though.  when the migration is complete AW will have a VB look and feel.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 06:56:49 PM »
Yeah, I just did not see the news item until after seeing the message. I suspected that might be what was up.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 02:46:54 PM »
OMG, there so much drama on AW right now it's pretty funny. I can't believe how wound up people are.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 03:06:29 PM »
I am one of them.  I like the linear format for a site like RMCB5 that moves a little slower and I know I have a high chance of wanting to read almost every post.  for AW the new format bites.  when I arrived this morning I had to click through 20 threads to get caught up.  it is too overwhelming and a waste of time.  I think I am done over there.   :(

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

KWilson

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 03:55:59 PM »
I'm with gragraver.  I don't think that the linear format works as well for a high-traffic forum like AW.  Yes, there are other high-traffic forums using this format, and they seem to get by fine, but my preference is the KAWF - conversational format.  It's a whole lot easier to scan lots of posts for relavant information.

I don't post too much over there, but I do occasionally lurk.  I don't currently own an Audi, but I'm sure that I will again in the not too distant future.  I'm kind of on the lookout for a nice, clean older A4 1.8T.  The prices have really dropped lately, and it would be nice to start another little project.

I did sign up on the new KAWF forum - mainly to see where it goes.  It will be interesting to watch what happens to AW.

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 01:05:11 PM »
I'm not a fan of IB, but I think people have not given the new format a chance and are overreacting.  I will go where the info is and do not care really about the format as long as it's searchable and useable.  Board splits that leave the bulk of the good technical info behind and just take the 'personalities' that yap it up in technical areas do not generally thrive, they leave behind what brings most people to the forum in the first place.  The new board might make for a fine clubhouse but I doubt it will turn out to be the place to go for the info in the long run.  We shall see.  If it turns out to be the place to go, I will go there and not miss AW a bit.

I'm not over the moon about IB buying Rennlist either and wonder how that will play out long-term.  An alternative forum started up for that crowd too but from what I could see it was mainly a social board and fell off my radar.  I should check it again.

One of the downsides of these little startups is that there are too many places to check ads if you need something, and too many places for scammers to set up shop in the classifieds, places where they will not get vetted.  Rennlist required you to be a member to sell stuff, so at least you had to pay a few bucks.  That generally drove off the people who were selling stuff they did not own and never planned to deliver.
Rennlist circa 2008 was a good balance of community, security and relative freedom, I'm not sure if that will continue.   

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 02:18:13 PM »
I haven't been on AW in like a decade. I'll probably be lost now.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 03:25:05 PM »
I doubt it, vB is not unlike this forum layout.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 03:40:56 PM »
Personally, I hated the old format.  I like seeing the content of the posts, not having to drill down into each one, and try to figure out whether there was useful information or not.  I may actually spend some time there now.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 04:59:50 PM »
As I posted up the RM forum on AW, the new forum system rocks imo. Easy to navigate, easy to post, easy to read. huge improvement and I'll definitely be spending time over there from now on.
This is Mike Selander and I approve this message.