Author Topic: iPod options  (Read 921 times)

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.johnwilker.com
iPod options
« on: March 25, 2009, 07:16:10 PM »
Look who's back! :D

And back with a quick question! We're taking a road trip and want some ipod action. I've been reading up on the OEM Audi one. Sounds like it is (or was?) the suck. Limited to first 5 playlists?

Also I've been unable to determine if it was iPhone friendly.

So are there better options that are as close to OE as possible?

ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Re: iPod options
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 04:34:09 PM »
I've had the icelink for a while now. It gets the job done and you can hide it in the glove box or console if you run the wire that way. Unfortunately it is limited to 5 playlists but I usually just use one or two big ones (about 15 hours or so). There is no song info displayed via the stock HU (shows only "CD 85" or something like that). You switch playlists with the 1-2-3-4-5 buttons for preset radio stations. Random on the HU will activate random play on the ipod which is nice - but it forgets once the car is turned off.

This has been my car jukebox system for the past 4 years and I can't complain. It would be nice to see song info, or have better navigation to find a song or group, but it's not that big of a deal for me. Some of the Alpine HUs I checked out had amazing ipod integration with an intuitive turn-knob interface to roll through artists and albums. I chose to go the stock look route and get the icelink - aftermarket HUs in that huge double space look so.... *aftermarket* ;)
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Re: iPod options
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 04:34:09 PM »