Author Topic: Car tried eating gravel...  (Read 2068 times)

Richard-EB

• Lightly Modded
  • EuroBerge Editor
    • EuroBerge Magazine
Car tried eating gravel...
« on: March 31, 2009, 02:27:03 PM »
So during the winter, my car became victim to the sand trucks of Northern Colorado on top of the rock damage I had received from driving every day.  It was bad enough that I actually had strips of clear missing from the front end. To give you all ideas, my front end looked like this, but worse:

So, we have some progress pics.  My car is a 2001 A4 1.8T Sport/ Santorian blue.  No, nothing is custom, but none the less it's looking very very good imo.  Work is being done at M&M Auto Reconditioning.  The staff there has called me every other day to give me updates and provided photos at the end of every week.  Mad props.

Here is a photo courtesy of Erik Melander, about 2 weeks before it went into paint.  You can see the white spots on the front end.  Those are the craters.

Week 1:

Week 2:

I will post up pictures next weekend after I get it back.   :D 

bret

• Stock
Re: Car tried eating gravel...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 02:48:12 PM »
that looks awesome so far - are they respraying the whole car or just the front end?

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 02:48:12 PM »

Richard-EB

• Lightly Modded
  • EuroBerge Editor
    • EuroBerge Magazine
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 07:44:47 PM »
most of the car.  The only panels with no damage are the rear doors and trunk lid and rear bumper.  They will get a fade-in and polish

bret

• Stock
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 08:15:43 PM »
mind sharing the cost?

Richard-EB

• Lightly Modded
  • EuroBerge Editor
    • EuroBerge Magazine
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 01:08:37 AM »
Total costs if I was paying it would be around 7000.  Insurance is covering it, so I only pay my deductible.

bret

• Stock
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 02:01:37 AM »
holy hell well that's a good deal for you then... can i ask why insurance is covering it?

masterqi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 02:58:11 AM »
can i ask why insurance is covering it?

+1

Richard-EB

• Lightly Modded
  • EuroBerge Editor
    • EuroBerge Magazine
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 02:41:11 PM »
Technically, any insurance will cover the damage.   They insure your vehicle for a set value.  If that value drops more than the average rate due to conditions outside the control of the driver, such as rock/sand damage, your insurance company will pay to repair said damage to ensure the value of the car is what it should be.  So, the adjuster found that the value of the car was lower than the national average and we went from there.  Yes, my rates will be going up, but in my eyes it is worth it.  The increase is not that much, and I have never filled a claim in the 8 years I have been driving and not had a ticket since I was 17. 

bret

• Stock
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 02:45:28 PM »
huh i think i need to learn a bit more about insurance... i think it's totally worth it, of course depending on what actually happens to your rates.

Richard-EB

• Lightly Modded
  • EuroBerge Editor
    • EuroBerge Magazine
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 12:54:24 AM »
I dropped by the shop today to check on the car and needless to say it was amazing.  It is going through the final stages of polish and assembly, and should be back with me by Wednesday (or whenever I can make it down to pick up).  Here are a few pics I took.  It is still getting polished and cleaned up, so dont mind the dust.  The color though is amazing.  I cannot wait to have it out in the sun.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 01:23:49 AM »
Looks pretty good in the pictures. I'm sure it will look great when they finish it up.