Author Topic: Why Fox News is an oxymoron...  (Read 1724 times)

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Why Fox News is an oxymoron...
« on: March 31, 2009, 09:55:33 PM »
Fox "news" at it's finest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcJn5XlbSFk&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ecanuckabroad%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Ffox%2Dnews%2Dinsults%2D116%2Ddead%2Dcanadians%2Dvt6182%2Ehtml&feature=player_embedded

It's funny that the host and his guests have absolutely no expertise with the topic.

I had much more intelligent conversations at a piss-drunk party.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
Re: Why Fox News is an oxymoron...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 10:39:58 PM »
Unfortunately news hasn't been "news" in quite some time; everyone has an agenda.  I have no idea why FOX does that Red Eye show in the first place, it is utterly moronic.  Although it is meant to have a satire-type platform, those comments were uncalled for-

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 01:52:52 AM by Kingtut »
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
     25% tint // 18" clear bra // Lamin-x: headlights, taillights, fogs // Cobb SRI // Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose // Cp-e rear engine mount // TWM short shifter // Synapse BPV // Aeroforce Interceptor // 6k HID's

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 10:39:58 PM »

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 12:43:40 AM »
Wow... just wow.  is supposed to be a news show or a fluff show for 12yo?

Honestly if I saw that I would have thought that was a satire news show.

and you wonder why other countries hate us...
Life's too short to be taken seriously

masterqi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 03:04:11 AM »
Honestly if I saw that I would have thought that was a satire news show.

Certainly more of a joke (and yet less funny!) than the Daily Show.

RobD

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 07:47:17 PM »
Alan - my guess is you are a little biased in this case since you lived (from?) in Canada and the topic mocks the Canadian military.  I don't agree with what they are saying about Canada (demeans the sacrifices of the those that have served) but I don't agree with many Colbert, Daily show or Bill Maher topics either.

I think it is a pretty severe case of overgeneralizing to label Fox News as an oxymoron with this show being the deciding case.  I knew nothing of this show before this post since it airs at 3 am and have never watched it.  I read an overview of it on Wikipedia for a quick update on what it is.  It sounds like Fox's version of the Daily Show so satire will abound.  Some toes might even get stepped on.  If ratings are bad they will eventually cancel the show like any TV show.  Thats how free markets work right?  Consumers decide.

As for the broader topic of Fox News, I ask is Fox as biased as MSNBC or BBC?  In my perspective NO but I do recognize that I come from a right of center perspective.  You might see MSNBC as slightly left of center or dead center depending on how far left your perspective is.  I'm not going to guess how far left but I will state again I come from a right of center perspective on most topics so I would say that Fox News appears to me to be more balanced when one watches the reported news (true news segments).  As for the segment shows I would put Bill O'Reilly up against Chris Mathews and Keith Oberman as more balanced.  Is Hannity as far right as Oberman is left?  Again I would say no but we could debate for hours specifics of shows.  I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you probably have not watched many of Fox's shows.  Is that correct?  I can say I have seen all of the MNSBC shows multiple times at different times of the years and can say without a doubt there is a severe case of bias.  They drank the Obama koolade to the bottom of the pitcher.

My guess is I am a minority on this board based on responses I have seen on this and other topics.  Oh well. As long as we all try to keep an open mind and truely look at both sides of an issue.  Unfortunately I think there is too much "Freedom of thought is good as long as it is the same view I have" mentality going on in our society right now.

Thoughts?

Rob

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 10:05:29 PM »
I'd like to applaud Rob for being up front and honest.  It's easy to point the finger at any given time (about just about anything), and say "this" or "that".  At first, I posted a video link of Chris Matthews saying Obama gave a tickle up his leg.  But I quickly removed it as it really wasn't applicable, contextually speaking.  Furthermore, I know better than to begin what may turn into a political debate.  Instead, I feel this particular topic relates to what the mass media feeds us on a daily basis, and our responsibility to be aware of it.  The fact that the show poked fun at anyone who serves in a global effort was ignorant.  But as Rob pointed out, is really no different than any other ignorant thing another show may do.  For instance, I recall CNN having a "death toll" update almost daily during the climax of the war.  In my eyes, that isn't news.  But sensationalizing a reality of war and causing havoc in the lives of military families everywhere. 

The fact of the matter is, the Red Eye show is satirical and rather stupid- the reason for its time slot.  If you don't like it, then don't watch it.  I don't believe one late night show, at one time, should be a reflection, or a reason to make a judgment, on the network as a whole.  FOX is an easy target, because they are the only network that isn't completely tainted.  I've given NBC, MSNBC, CNN, etc. a fair shake by watching the various shows (and real-time news) that they provide.  One thing’s for certain, you get the same portrayal echoing in your ears from every network- except FOX. 

Nate
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
     25% tint // 18" clear bra // Lamin-x: headlights, taillights, fogs // Cobb SRI // Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose // Cp-e rear engine mount // TWM short shifter // Synapse BPV // Aeroforce Interceptor // 6k HID's

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08