Author Topic: Volkswagen may oust Toyota as world leader  (Read 1773 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: Volkswagen may oust Toyota as world leader
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 07:34:38 PM »
I found that interesting as well.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 07:34:38 PM »

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 02:57:21 PM »
As an owner of 2 Toyotas and a VW I find that interesting as well.  One of the things that has always irked me about VW/Audi, that Toyota does as well, is limit the choices for consumers in the U.S. market. 

In Canada, I can get turbo diesel engines for both of my Land Cruisers, but not here in the U.S. 

Both are great carmakers though, so hopefully a little friendly competition is a good thing between them.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 05:38:18 PM »
Dub, is that really the manufacturers limiting choices, or our gubment?  Probably a bit of both.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 08:52:37 PM »
And don't forget consumer demand. Just because enthusiasts like it doesn't mean it makes fiscal sense. The enthusiast population is a small percentage of the overall brand owners.

RobD

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 12:52:37 AM »

In Canada, I can get turbo diesel engines for both of my Land Cruisers, but not here in the U.S. 

Dub - Same goes for the Eurovan...a 1.9 turbo diesel with a manual tranny is the much sought after combo.

Pat- I think your right in that it is the government dictating the safety standards that limit our choices which goes to Jay's point, what combo of choices makes the best financial sense for the manufactuer?

As for the topic, VW is targeting markets that show growth promise.  According to the world steel data we receive (CRU out of London), the Asian and South American markets show the most growth (anemic at best) in the near future (1-2 years) compared to the rest of the world.  VW has targeted these markets better than Toyota and thus should do relatively well.  I think the growth in Germany is short lived due to government subsidies.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 05:04:56 PM »
Dub, is that really the manufacturers limiting choices, or our gubment?  Probably a bit of both.

I think it is a bit of both.  The government has testing and EPA requirements that many car companies don't want to have to do for every car/engine combination they use elsewhere.  However, let's look at the Passat with the 1.8t (more recently, the 2.0FSI.

Why would they bring the Audi A4 over here with that engine and AWD capability, but not put it into the Passat except for 2 years with the B5.5?  I have no idea, but as US customers of these cars, we have had to deal with that for a long time.  Why can't we get the AWD versions of the GTI over here that VW sells all over Europe?

I'd say the government is 40% of it, but not all of it.

As far as fiscal sense, that does make more sense.  After all, they are in it to make money.  I'm just bitter I can't buy a Scirocco, not to mention that they stopped selling them here in 88 but they continured until 92 in Europe.

Okay, off the box.  Back to my stinking Oracle Portal work that I was currently in the middle of being bitter about...hehe.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 05:05:52 PM »
Hey Rob!  Didn't see your response.  Good to hear from you!  How's the fam?