Author Topic: New Scirocco...a no go of the US  (Read 2480 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
New Scirocco...a no go of the US
« on: April 24, 2009, 01:57:39 PM »
Was just reading this at autoblog:

Word leaked late last week via an official-looking dealer communiqué that Volkswagen had finally decided to pass on bringing the Scirocco to the U.S., but to the best of our knowledge, nobody has gotten first-hand confirmation that the sporty hatchback will not make it across The Pond – until now.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/06/its-official-volkswagen-not-bringing-scirocco-to-u-s/

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: New Scirocco...a no go of the US
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 05:10:51 PM »
*Sigh*
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 05:10:51 PM »

KWilson

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 07:50:13 PM »
That's too bad.  It really is a nice looking car. :'(

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 03:35:09 PM »
Honestly, I'm over the Scirocco coming over as a standard model. I don't think it has a good place in the current VW lineup, and competing as a "specialty" model against a GTI didn't really seem to make sense. I think we'd all feel like it was just a GTI with a different body.

Now, once I heard about the outgoing R32 and the possibility of the R20T to replace it, that makes sense to me.

- Take the 2.0T out of the Audi TTS and drop the whole drive train into a GT24 styled body.
- Keep the price point at hopefully 10k less than the TTS or about what the R32 costs
- Don't make the horrible mistake of not making it AWD
- Bring it to the US...
and you have the makings of a really, really awesome car.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/VW-Scirocco-R20T-the-inside-story/

Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 04:33:04 PM »
That would be pretty cool.  I definitely like the GT24 look much better than stock.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 10:06:19 PM »
Honestly, I'm over the Scirocco coming over as a standard model. I don't think it has a good place in the current VW lineup, and competing as a "specialty" model against a GTI didn't really seem to make sense. I think we'd all feel like it was just a GTI with a different body.

Now, once I heard about the outgoing R32 and the possibility of the R20T to replace it, that makes sense to me.

- Take the 2.0T out of the Audi TTS and drop the whole drive train into a GT24 styled body.
- Keep the price point at hopefully 10k less than the TTS or about what the R32 costs
- Don't make the horrible mistake of not making it AWD
- Bring it to the US...
and you have the makings of a really, really awesome car.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/VW-Scirocco-R20T-the-inside-story/

And please, please, please don't make it all DSG.

I would LOVE to see that over here, I think it would really complement VWs image of being a sporty, younger crowd make.
This is Mike Selander and I approve this message.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 11:47:24 PM »
what is so wrong with DSG?  I rather like it.

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 12:40:24 AM »
what is so wrong with DSG?  I rather like it.

Nothing necessarily wrong with DSG, but giving a sports car ONLY a tiptronic transmission and stripping those of us who still want to drive manual of the chance is a horrible marketing decision and a huge letdown. For me, driving without a clutch isn't driving at all.  Personally, I would not buy a sports car with a tiptronic, it takes all the fun out of driving for me. (Not like I would have the money like this for a long time, but I doubt I'm the only one who feels this way.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 12:55:27 AM by redline »
This is Mike Selander and I approve this message.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 12:53:34 AM »
I am of the same opinion, I like driving, to me driving is everything. Clutch, shifting, braking, steering and most of all...accelerating.

DSG is great, tip is nice. Just not my cup of tea. Made that mistake once, not DSG, but tip. Hope to never do it again.

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 05:22:43 PM »
I'm actually happy it's not coming here!!! (I don't want to regret buying the GTI!)  ;D

Having gone from stick, to tip, back to stick, to DSG....Stick is probably going to always be my favorite (esp. a good stick) but DSG has tons of pros with virtually no cons (so far!)

So IMHO Stick > DSG > Tip

Having said that- I think having a choice is always better than no choice at all...
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 07:00:57 PM »
DSG is the best auto I have driven... but it is still auto.  I don't like how autos shift down on you.
Life's too short to be taken seriously