Discussion Forums > Maintenance

Transmission 2002 TT Quattro Turbo 6 speed manual

(1/1)

tpontis:
Hello everyone and thanks.
Darker silver,red leather seats, and a black interior. I bought it 3yrs ago with 14,200 miles. Beautiful car. Last thursday on my way home thru the neighborhood 20 mph. First and second gear went away. No noise or any indication. I have reverse, 3rd,4th,5th, and 6th. I put it on a truck to the garage who works on Audi's,VW's,BMW's etc. They have never seen this issue before. I was there when we called several other garages in the Phoenix area. They haven't either. I'm trying to avoid the dealership. Has anyone had any experience with this issue? Help!

Thank you
Tim

03Indigo:
I am assuming you are in AZ....hope the shops down there are good.

I have never heard of the TT or any of the 1.8T platforms having issues with dropping transmissions all of a sudden.  I would think it is syncros for the 1st and 2nd gears.  Those are made of brass I believe, and they are pretty soft compared to the other gear material, so they have a tendency to wear down or shave off.  This happened to my Civic SI back in the day, but that was due to hard driving and slamming into second gear really hard...I only lost second gear.

Either that, or the shift selector rod that moves into the position of 1-2 has a problem, either cable, or shaft, not sure what linkage is where, but might be as simple as that.  My MINI has occasional shift issues, well, not mine, but others.  It is usually related to the cables from the shifter to the transmission.

KWilson:
As already mentioned, I'd probably start with checking the shifter cables (I'm pretty sure that the TT uses cables).  Also, I seem to remember reading something about a counter-balance weight in the shifter mechanism getting dislodged and blocking some of the gears with the similar platform VW's.  Does the shifter bind and not go into gears, or does it appear to physically go into gear?  Sorry, I'm in a hurry, hope that all made sense.

92UrS4:
The 6 speeds are known to have 1st and 2nd gear issues, but usually not unless driven hard or higher mileage. The comments above are good starting points, but it would not be completely uncommon for 1st and 2nd to be gone. However, before heading down the path of a new transmission it's worth checking out the other areas that may have caused an issue.

EDIT: I should add, typically when you lose 1st and 2nd, it's not typically all of a sudden, it lets you know. Which is why the comments above are good.

You might have one of those shops call out of state. Colorado has a TON of Audi's and we have some great indie shops here. I'm sure if they called one of the shops out here they might be able to shed some light if they know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version