Author Topic: Worked on my own car for a change  (Read 7315 times)

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Worked on my own car for a change
« on: May 01, 2009, 08:05:47 PM »
Things have been a little slower here lately - stupid economic downturn >:(  So I worked on my own car.

After the weekend at HPR there were a few issues needing to be addressed on my car.  After 136,000 miles and 6 years of maximum boost driving my clutch had enough.  It was still drivable but I did not want to have total failure and have to tow it to the shop.  (I am supposed to know better then that)  I replaced it with an interesting combination from the VAG parts bin.  I used a Single Mass Flywheel from 92 Audi 80, which is about 6 lbs lighter then the stock Dual Mass unit.  I ordered a South Bend DXD Pressure Plate and finished it off with semi-metalic disk.  The feel is nice, not heavy at all.  I just have to be nice to it for a while to break it in.  So no boost for me for a couple days.

While I was there i replaced my CV boots.  They were cracking, but not all the way through.  This is the 3rd round of boots for me.

The last thing I need to do is finish the Audi TT/A8 front brake conversion.  I have the 312mm rotors and Pagid Sport Blue pads ready to go in, I just need to find some TT carriers.  So if you know of any please let me know.

It was nice to work on my own car for a change.  I have felt like I was neglecting it for a while and now I feel much better.

- Randy ;D
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: Worked on my own car for a change
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 08:10:45 PM »
Nice Randy.  Congrats on the well deserved "personal" shop time :)

I have having a little garage time with my MINI this coming Sunday, nothing big, just a small mod...but still, nice to be able to work on my cars again :)

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 08:10:45 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 08:11:27 PM »
Nice progress Randy. I bet it felt good to do something for yourself for a change. I'm interested in seeing how the brake conversion turns out.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 08:31:08 PM »
Nice.  Glad to hear you're givin' her some lovin'.  She deserves it.   :)
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 08:38:21 PM »
Things have been a little slower here lately - stupid economic downturn >:( 

I have been trying to do my part.  really.   ;D

glad you finally found some time for your car too.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Docwyte

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 12:25:28 AM »
If you guys worked on BMW's I could pitch in more... :P
ttp://www.projectonelap.com

Stock parts for sale, contact me for info!

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 12:42:22 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  Andrew I appreciate your efforts, and hope the Allroad is treating you well.  Josh, I appreciate the offer, but can just bot bring myself to do it.

- R
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

masterqi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
Things have been a little slower here lately - stupid economic downturn >:( 

Hey Randy,

Stock market is up today for what it's worth (not that anyone has any money left in it!).

I dropped that poster in the mail to you. (And for anyone else out there, check out www.automezzicolorado.org and mark your calendar for June 7th).

As for your shop feeling lonely, I do want to bring in the Jetta at some point so you can take a look at the suspension & steering. I just feel there needs to be some general tightening up.

Jason

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 12:18:40 AM »
Thanks Jason!  I will keep me eye out for the poster and just let me know about the Jetta.
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 01:48:56 PM »
Cool! I have Pagid Blues....I don't like them. Well, since you're slow, you'll be able to make whatever GTG is decided upon over Memorial Day weekend :D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 02:29:36 AM »
Dude, you really don't like the blues?  I have a tough time understanding that, unless you put clean wheels above stopping ability on your list of priorities.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 03:45:04 PM »
Dude, you really don't like the blues?  I have a tough time understanding that, unless you put clean wheels above stopping ability on your list of priorities.

Whoa!! I'm SO WAY OFF! Terribly sorry guys, I have the PBR Ceramics...must be those "P" pads that got me confused! Yikes. I have no experience with the Pagid blues.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 03:51:10 PM by jayryan »
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 03:51:41 PM »
Noob

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 06:03:46 PM »

Whoa!! I'm SO WAY OFF! Terribly sorry guys, I have the PBR Ceramics...must be those "P" pads that got me confused! Yikes. I have no experience with the Pagid blues.

That sounds more like it.  I've have not been impressed with ANY of the PBR Ceramic-equipped cars I've driven.  IMO terrible pads if you car about performance.
-Chuck Patterson

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 09:10:41 PM »
I have PBR Ceramics on my MINI and had them on my allroad.  I personally love them.

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 09:24:54 PM »
I have PBR Ceramics on my MINI and had them on my allroad.  I personally love them.

I second that, I loved the PBR ceramics on the 90. Thought I'd try Mintex red-series pads this time around on the avant and I don't like them at all. They stop, but have no bite like the ceramics did...
This is Mike Selander and I approve this message.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 09:38:16 PM »
Mintex Reds are like the neighborhood ho, everyone's done it once.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 10:41:38 PM »
I never did the Mintex pads, :)...after hearing what everyone else was experiencing, I avoided them on all my cars.

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
I never did the Mintex pads, :)...after hearing what everyone else was experiencing, I avoided them on all my cars.

...that's not what I heard :D
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
     25% tint // 18" clear bra // Lamin-x: headlights, taillights, fogs // Cobb SRI // Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose // Cp-e rear engine mount // TWM short shifter // Synapse BPV // Aeroforce Interceptor // 6k HID's

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 11:09:47 PM »
huh?  I tried EBC greens, they chunked out, but never had Mintex.  I actually think the EBCs are worse than Mintex ;)

Other pads I have had are Pagid, Axis Ultimates, which are basically PBR IIRC, and Ferodo.  Ferodo were great, just really noisy for daily driving, but outstanding on the track.  For my style of driving, the PBR Ceramics are perfect.

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 11:57:46 PM »
Oh, I was just joking around.  Kinda playin' off the neighborhood ho comment, hehe 
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
     25% tint // 18" clear bra // Lamin-x: headlights, taillights, fogs // Cobb SRI // Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose // Cp-e rear engine mount // TWM short shifter // Synapse BPV // Aeroforce Interceptor // 6k HID's

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 01:58:09 AM »
LOL, I get it now ;)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 06:16:58 PM »
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 09:01:46 PM »
Cool! I have Pagid Blues....I don't like them. Well, since you're slow, you'll be able to make whatever GTG is decided upon over Memorial Day weekend :D

How do the Pagid Blues compare to some of the others? I am running the SBS Pro-Track pads in my Alcon's now and i really like them. Very similar to the Ferrodo DS2500's that i ran before. Quite dusty, but good cold & hot friction (very consistant). I couldn't even fade them at the track 2 weeks ago.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2009, 03:23:08 PM »
The Blues are my favorite street pad for my car.  Not quite up to track duty for my car with R-comps, but better than braking than any other street pad I've driven.  Capable of street/track duty on a stock 1.8T A4.  Dusty, too.
I've been using the Ferodos for a few years.  Not quite as good on the street, but significantly more tolerant of heat.  I've been happy with them for my car (245 hp, 275 tq, 3250 lbs) with R-comps on the track.
Both pads can bit a little noisy if you drive like a pussy.   :D
Give me a ring if you want to talk.
-Chuck Patterson

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2009, 03:55:09 PM »
The blues are in my car now.  Finally installed them about 2 weeks ago and I could not be happier with them on the street.  I will test them tomorrow on a mountain drive.

The bite is much better and the dust has not been too bad yet.  I agree with Pat, drive like a puss and people will know it.
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2009, 08:48:13 PM »
Randy, the bite is better than what?
-Chuck Patterson

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2009, 10:30:09 PM »
The Blues are my favorite street pad for my car.  Not quite up to track duty for my car with R-comps, but better than braking than any other street pad I've driven.  Capable of street/track duty on a stock 1.8T A4.  Dusty, too.
I've been using the Ferodos for a few years.  Not quite as good on the street, but significantly more tolerant of heat.  I've been happy with them for my car (245 hp, 275 tq, 3250 lbs) with R-comps on the track.
Both pads can bit a little noisy if you drive like a pussy.   :D
Give me a ring if you want to talk.

Do you think the Blues would be ok for my heavier car at the track w/ street tires (bridgestone re-01R's)? Or should i just stick with the DS2500's (rear) and SBS track pro's (front)? I wouldn't mind a tad less dust, but i like the flexablity of not switching pads.

Docwyte

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2009, 03:25:35 AM »
There is no free lunch.  If you want pads that work on the track, you NEED to buy track pads.  I flamed a set of Ferodo DS2500's at the track on my old K04'd A4.

You simply have to spend the time to swap pads.  That's one of the reasons I have the Stoptech's on my car, changing pads is trivial.
ttp://www.projectonelap.com

Stock parts for sale, contact me for info!

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2009, 04:16:26 AM »
Eric, with the amount of power your car makes I would stay away from Blues.  I think DS2500s would be borderline for your car.  I've never had a problem with them, and feel like I have pushed them as hard as I would ever need to on my car.
-Chuck Patterson