Author Topic: Lucas Fuel Treatment  (Read 5641 times)

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Lucas Fuel Treatment
« on: April 10, 2004, 02:49:56 PM »
I was watching speedvision and i keep seeing ads for this Lucas Fuel Treatment. I have always used the Chevron Techtron injector cleaner/treatment.. But was wondering about this Lucas product. Anyone have any info on it? Their website doesn't say much.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Lucas Fuel Treatment
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 04:12:25 PM »
I have never used an injctor cleaner, what are the recomended intervals that you should use an injector cleaner? Does anyone know.

~Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Lucas Fuel Treatment
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 04:12:25 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Lucas Fuel Treatment
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 04:15:36 PM »
I recommend the VW/Audi Autobahn injector cleaner.  You can get it for $3.20/bottle at Champagne motors and possibly from the dealerships as well.

I used Techron too and it seemed to work ok, but it also seems to cost a bit more.

You do need to watch what you use since not all additives are right for the car.  I guess a once a month cleaning of the injectors is really the way to go.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Lucas Fuel Treatment
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 05:18:23 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"
I recommend the VW/Audi Autobahn injector cleaner.  You can get it for $3.20/bottle at Champagne motors and possibly from the dealerships as well.

I used Techron too and it seemed to work ok, but it also seems to cost a bit more.

You do need to watch what you use since not all additives are right for the car.  I guess a once a month cleaning of the injectors is really the way to go.

Maybe i will pick up some of that Autobahn product for the future. Is it compatable with deisel by chance?

I have been using the techtron for years and has always worked well. I ran it in my turbo mazda, turbo subie and my vw now and had good resluts. But if this other product is recommended by VW/Audi than i might just make the change. Where is Champagen motors?

Greg -  Every 5000-7500 miles or so is fine.  It might be worth picking up a cleaner some time since you have no idea when the previous owner did the maintnace.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Lucas Fuel Treatment
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2004, 05:26:35 PM »
:D Will do thanks for the info guys.

~Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Lucas Fuel Treatment
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004, 03:00:25 PM »
I don't think it can be used int eh Diesels, but I just used it all up so I can't verify.  There are special cleaners for diesels.  I know that the injectors in teh diesel are very different and therefore the cleaners for a gasoline engine may not be sufficient.

There was a post on Clubb5.com the other day about a B5 owner who used an injector cleaner designed for a diesel and his car is a little noisy.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Lucas Fuel Treatment
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004, 06:53:54 PM »
On one occasion, around the 15-18,000 mark I used 44K.  Normaly I have not used anything and I ususally us Amoco or once in a while Costco gas.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Lucas Fuel Treatment
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 03:22:29 AM »
I don't think it can be used int eh Diesels, but I just used it all up so I can't verify.  There are special cleaners for diesels.  I know that the injectors in teh diesel are very different and therefore the cleaners for a gasoline engine may not be sufficient.

There was a post on Clubb5.com the other day about a B5 owner who used an injector cleaner designed for a diesel and his car is a little noisy.

I didn't figure it was deisel compatable, but you never know. I have a case of deisel injector cleaner, but you never know what else is out there.  I am going to try and contact champagne motors and get soem of that autobahn cleaner.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Lucas Fuel Treatment
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 12:54:41 PM »
I also use the BG 44K fuel injector cleaner, which can be obtained from NAPA.  Chas recommended it very highly and I was satisfied with it.  It is recommended that you do this at least once a year.  I'm going to add more with each oil change.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Lucas Fuel Treatment
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 10:06:25 PM »
I found the 44K at my old Saturn dealer on Wadsworth in the Phil Long auto row.  I have also seen it strangely enough on the shelf at the Amoco off Hampden between I-25 and Monaco.

Noob_Shum

• Modded
Lucas Fuel Treatment
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2004, 01:11:20 AM »
I saw the 44k stuff at a NAPA store in Longmont, it was $20 and some change, plus tax? Seemed a little expensive, can you get it cheaper elsewhere?

Jonathan

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Lucas Fuel Treatment
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004, 01:45:50 AM »
Nah, that stuff is pricey but will do the trick, it is very powerful.  I am hesitant to use it on our delicat system, but enough people use it without trouble so it os pretty safe.

The stuff is so powerfull it just burns away all teh crap that builds up int eh fule system.

I use it on my 1979 Honda Cm400A motorcycle and my 1977 Scout II to clean out the fuel lines and the jets.  Helps reduce the time betweeen carb rebuilds.

Just make sure if you use it to follow the directions, don't want to overdo anything ;).

Noob_Shum

• Modded
Lucas Fuel Treatment
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2004, 01:55:28 AM »
hehe cool, might have to try it sometime, thanks!

Jonathan

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Lucas Fuel Treatment
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2004, 02:04:56 AM »
maybe i will hit up NAPA saturday and pick some 44k up.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Lucas Fuel Treatment
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2004, 03:52:14 AM »
I think I remember that they recomend it about every 15,000mi.  I am due for another.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Lucas Fuel Treatment
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2004, 03:55:59 AM »
That would probably be right, about once per year.  Keep in mind, I can't say enough this stuff is powerful. I use it about once a year on my oldies.

If you are using Techron or the Audi/VW injector cleaner regularly you probably don't need to use the BG 44K.

I guess if you use neither, I would say using BG 44K first, then regularly (like once a month or so) using Techron or the Audi/VW stuff.

I still am hesitant to use Bg44K on such a finely tuned machine, but as I stated before, folks seem to be okay using it.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Lucas Fuel Treatment
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2004, 04:00:54 AM »
I would agree Jay and thanks for the warning.  I was told from Saturn (when I had one) that their mechanics will sometimes use this to correct performance issues.  I guess if they stand behind it, it works well!

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Lucas Fuel Treatment
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2004, 01:37:54 AM »
That would probably be right, about once per year.  Keep in mind, I can't say enough this stuff is powerful. I use it about once a year on my oldies.

If you are using Techron or the Audi/VW injector cleaner regularly you probably don't need to use the BG 44K.

I guess if you use neither, I would say using BG 44K first, then regularly (like once a month or so) using Techron or the Audi/VW stuff.

I still am hesitant to use Bg44K on such a finely tuned machine, but as I stated before, folks seem to be okay using it.

Jay - In your opinion, do you think since i use Techtron every 5-6k miles this BG 44k might be a little more than i need? Thanks

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Lucas Fuel Treatment
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2004, 11:37:08 AM »
Eric that would be my opinion.  Like I said, I love Bg44K but it is really powerful and if your system has been maintained that well it probably isn't necessary.