Author Topic: How hard is it for a dealer tech to do their job?  (Read 1284 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
How hard is it for a dealer tech to do their job?
« on: May 15, 2009, 12:53:08 PM »
I wont name the dealer...yet...and I am very much shocked. Renee had her 10K maintenance done on the Passat the other day. Everything was good.

Last night I noticed some oil spots on the driveway, it ran through my head that it might be the Passat, but then I brushed it off as being from the last time I had the Scout on the drive.

This morning I go into the garage after she left and there is a lot of oil on the floor. I walk out, see more spots on the drive and see a trail of oil leading away from the house.

I call Renee right away and get in just enough to say, your car is leaking oil bad, stop as soon as you can and check the level...her phone dies.

So I wait...hear nothing more. I get a message from her that she stopped by the unnamed dealer and they said that it was due to them not properly tightening the cover/seal for the oil filter housing. They tightened it up..and I am assuming added oil...and sent her on her way.

Personally, I find that unacceptable. They SHOULD have drained the oil, replaced the seal, and refilled. It has nothing to do with being compensated as obviously nothing bad happened. But it was not properly sealed, driven with oil leaking everywhere. I wonder how much oil is on the underside of the car and engine?

I'm just a little bit angry. Hopefully I can find out more soon.

scottvw

• Lightly Modded
Re: How hard is it for a dealer tech to do their job?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 01:50:05 PM »
Imagine if something catastrophic would have happened....I'm sure they would have tried to wipe their hands of it.  Free maintenance isn't always the best deal they offer anymore.  These stories scare me on getting new car down the road.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 01:50:05 PM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 04:09:38 PM »
I've fixed more than one thing supposedly done by a "professional." Most recently, my front bumper rebar was installed upside down.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 04:24:38 PM »
Imagine if something catastrophic would have happened....I'm sure they would have tried to wipe their hands of it.  Free maintenance isn't always the best deal they offer anymore.  These stories scare me on getting new car down the road.

The thing it, maintenance wasn't free. We have a 2008, so we paid for the service. That's why I am mad.

masterqi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 05:08:32 PM »
Jay, why do you refrain from naming the dealer? Sharing an experience isn't libel. If it happened, it happened.

Most techs are just kids who don't have an ownership mentality and thus don't care if a customer comes back or not.

Based on your own experience, surely it can't be McDonald!