Author Topic: tie rod end stuck need help!!!  (Read 5392 times)

nicpassat

• n00balicious
tie rod end stuck need help!!!
« on: June 19, 2009, 11:11:35 AM »
today i work on to replace my tie end. i have a 2001 vw passat 1.8.  i get the pin bolt nut out and the top bolt out. then i use the tie rod removal to pull down the ball joint, but it only come down half way and it stuck there. no matter what i do it stuck half way and it seems like there is something in there to stop it from coming out. after many attempt of hammering it down and using cro bar. the tie rod end broke off the ball joint just like the picture below. is there any thing else i missed that why it stuck half down? thanks

this pictures shows the tie rod end is broke off from the ball joint.

THIS IS THE NEW TIE ROD END

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 12:55:10 PM by nicpassat »

KWilson

• Lightly Modded
Re: tie rod end stuck need help!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 12:31:32 PM »
It looks like you probably need to take that "pin bolt" out.  Look at the new one & notice the indentation that the bolt goes through.  It looks like the bolt stops the tie rod end from slipping down.

The other side should just unscrew.  Count how many revolutions it takes to remove it, and put the new one on the same number of turns.

Hope that helps.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 12:31:32 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 12:34:06 PM »
On the tie rod, sometimes you need some heat if it wont turn as other members can attest to.

Here is a write up on the replacement, not sure if you were using this as a guide or not:

http://www.rmcb5.com/forums/maintenance/tech-tie-rod-end-(tre)-replacement/

KWilson

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 12:45:17 PM »
This is what I was trying to say:

nicpassat

• n00balicious
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 12:53:34 PM »
thank you all. yes i had read that forum. thank KWilson  for pointing that about about the retainer bolt. and unfortunately the retainer bolt is froze in there.. we try to hammer it out and use PB blaster but no luck. look like we have to drill it out.

KWilson

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 01:19:29 PM »
That's a bummer about the stuck bolt.  Before I spent any time drilling it out, I'd try cutting with a hacksaw or sawsall.  It looks like you could probably slip a hacksaw blade through the opening and cut the bolt in two (since you're going to replace it anyway).  That might let you get at least one half out easily.

Good Luck.

nicpassat

• n00balicious
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 01:23:33 PM »
good idea.. thank you

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 02:45:46 PM »
have you tried an air hammer?
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 12:52:00 AM »
Looks to me like you used a pickle fork?  If you get a screw type puller you should be able to drive that pin out from the top but it might be easy to get out once the crossbolt is out.

One of these types:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=1752

There is more than one size, I have a big one and a small one.  The smaller ones are more typical for balljoints.

If you used the pickle fork before pulling the crossbolt you might need to drive the balljoint pin back up 1mm or so to free the crossbolt.  You may have locked the crossbolt with the balljoint pin.  This might mean chopping the ball off and driving the rest of the pin up with that puller.  Just a bit, not so far that you lock it again.

-Joel.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l