Author Topic: More Minis for Jon, Part 2!  (Read 1210 times)

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
More Minis for Jon, Part 2!
« on: July 18, 2009, 06:35:14 PM »

Mini First

This is the new Mini First, a budget model that starts from £10,950.

The Mini First is powered a 74bhp 1.4-litre petrol engine with 89lb ft of torque.
The Mini First hits 0-62mph in 13.2sec, has a top speed of 109mph and averages 53.3mpg while averaging 128g/km of CO2.

Buyers can spec up the Mini First with a variety of extras sold in packages. These range in cost from £390 to £855 and add items such as a three-spoke leather steering wheel, Bluetooth connectivity and front fog lights.

The Mini First is available with Mini's TLC package, which provides service and maintenance for five years for £185.

Mini Countryman

BMW has trademarked the Countryman and ActiveE names, prompting feverish speculation suggesting that the upcoming Mini crossover will take the Countryman name.

The Mini 4x4 had been expected to be called Crossman, and is expected to be unveiled in production form at this year's Frankfurt motor show.

The Countryman name originates from the Austin Seven Countryman, which was launched in 1960 with its Morris counterpart, the Morris Mini Traveller. They were the long-wheelbase versions of the Austin Seven and Morris Mini Minor, offering improved luggage capacity and flexibility.

It is not known where BMW intends to apply the ActiveE name, although it has been suggested it could be applied to its upcoming electric vehicles.

That would tie-in with the ActiveHybrid moniker BMW applies to its hybrid cars.
BMW also trademarked the name eDrive last year. Again, this is expected to feature on the firm's electric car range.

Mini by Rolls Royce

BMW is actively considering introducing a new super high-end Mini that will be re-trimmed by Rolls-Royce’s Goodwood operation.

Autocar understands from well-placed sources that the project is close to getting the green light.

The Rolls-trimmed Mini caught in these scoop pictures is not a one-off, according to the source but is a late prototype for what’s intended to be an established premium custom version of the Mini.

Buyers of the high-end Mini will be able to visit the Rolls Royce factory to select the various interior trim and dashboard finishes and will also be able to collect the finished vehicle.

The project is more evidence that BMW’s expansion of Mini brand continues to draw inspiration directly from the history of the original Mini.

Mini Coopers with re-worked interiors and extremely high standards of trim became popular in the early 1960s, and were often owned by the highest profile celebrities of the era, including all four Beatles.

It’s popularly believed that the first high-end coachbuilt Mini was commissioned by actor Peter Sellers in 1963. It is said to have cost £2600 when a standard Cooper cost £679.

The Sellers’ Mini was quickly followed by a similar offering from Harold Radford called the Mini de Ville. This came in three specification levels, but all versions included new instrument packs, wooden dashboards, Rolls-Royce-style seats and even new headlamps.

In 1965 the de Ville was also available with a hatchback and folding rear seats, an example of which was famously owned by Ringo Starr.

Coachbuilders Wood and Pickett also produced a high-specification Mini along the same lines.

Some Mini bosses believe that a Mini with the interior luxury of a much larger car has again become relevant thanks to the current trend of downsizing, especially for affluent city drivers.

2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: More Minis for Jon, Part 2!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 02:56:58 PM »
thanks Alan, seen most of those, lost of discussion in the MINI world regarding the MINI First...the Standard Cooper right now is getting about 46mpg in the 6 speed manual.  Which I might add is better than the Prius or Honda hybrids....That 46mpg is about 75%highway, 25%city.  Those that drive mainly in the city are getting on average 39mpg.  That is pretty good.  With my Turbo 6 speed, over the past 1000 miles with occasional spirited driving, I am averaging 33.1mpg right now.  I am thrilled with those numbers, and that is with the AC on all the time :)

Can't say the RR version will be worth it, but I really like the Crossman, which is an X1, same power plant, etc.  That might be the reason I sell the blue one, to get one of those SUV's in a few years :)

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 02:56:58 PM »

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 03:14:21 PM »
I am loving the rolls version.  thats pretty sweet.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 11:59:40 AM »