Author Topic: anybody good w/ wordpress?  (Read 2730 times)

shummer

• Modded
anybody good w/ wordpress?
« on: August 19, 2009, 09:54:42 PM »
I'm just trying to do something simple like change my header image and it says I don't have sufficient permissions to change it. I can't even restore it to the default image. I'm the only user and the admin. Not sure how it broke...maybe during one of the automatic upgrades. I noticed that I am unable to overwrite about 50 files that are part of wordpress 2.8.4. Not sure if that gives anybody some clues. I don't know if it's a problem on my end or the host. Thanks.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: anybody good w/ wordpress?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 12:07:11 AM »
I use wordpress, you need to like chmod the header file or wherever you are changing the header image to something like 755 or 777

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 12:07:11 AM »

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 06:14:30 AM »
Do you change the permission on a per file or per folder basis? I tried doing chmod to a folder, my ftp client says it completed, but when I view permissions on it afterwards, the changes don't seem to take.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 06:19:52 AM by shummer »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 09:48:57 AM »
It would need to be on the file at the very least

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 01:54:15 PM »
OK. So when I go to change the permissions on the file, it says I don't have permission to do it. I try to delete or even rename the file and it doesn't allow me. All the files that I cannot overwrite are in the wp-includes folder.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 03:11:14 PM »
hmm, can you see who teh owner of the file is, like appache or www or something like that.

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 03:59:47 PM »
It looks like the ones that I'm having problems with show ownership of user = httpd and group = theshums. Everything else that I can modify are user = theshums and group = theshums.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 06:07:17 PM »
yeah, if this is hosted, you will need to get the host to change the permissions. theshums should be owner of all files. The problem is, on some servers, and depending on the version of the software you are running. When you use the prog to do edits and it is allowed to create and edit files for you, it does it as apache/www/httpd or whatever the server has configured.

It can bea  real PITA.

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 07:32:28 PM »
Thanks Jay. I opened up a ticket w/ my host. So is there a way for me as the user and/or the host to prevent this from happening?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 07:49:45 PM »
I would make sure you have the most updated version of word press. I had the same problem with my host, but then they changed the server configurations and it no longer happens. I believe my host is using suPHP and that helped.