Author Topic: Emission failure with APR downpipe and ecu program  (Read 2147 times)

RobD

• Modded
Emission failure with APR downpipe and ecu program
« on: November 04, 2009, 02:00:45 AM »
Took my wife's 05 1.8t beetle in for emissions test to renew the tags.  Failed on the NOx reading - actual was 4.0931 and limit is 1.500.
Like a doh ass I forgot to change the ecu back to stock not thinking about the program or exhaust.

My questions are - Has any one else failed Colorado emissions testing with a ecu and downpipe mods? Also do you think it would be worth using my free retest by going in with the stock program?

I have an appointment with Randy to swap out the high-flow cat but before I go through the time and expense I wondered if trying the stock program would be worth it?  If it doesnt then I swap the stock cat back in and then pay another 25 test fee.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Rob

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
Re: Emission failure with APR downpipe and ecu program
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 02:09:54 AM »
Didn't work for me...even after swapping back to stock mode.  I had to swap in the CAT back in.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 02:09:54 AM »

Docwyte

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 01:29:57 PM »
If you're failling NOx, you need to put the cat back in.  The programming isn't the problem.
ttp://www.projectonelap.com

Stock parts for sale, contact me for info!

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 04:00:38 PM »
FWIW, I've never come close to failing emissions.  I replaced two OEM cats with a custom downpipe and 200 cell MetalCat.  K04, too.
I've heard several other people say you need to put regular cats in, but that certainly hasn't been the case for me.  <shrug>
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

RobD

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 10:40:38 AM »
I took the bug into Todd and Randy yesterday with the stock downpipe.  They got it installed and I pick it up today.  Then off to one of the worst run government mandated operations I've ever dealt with so I can pay more taxes(thanks bill) for the bug's tags.

Thanks for the input folks.

Rob

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 05:26:01 PM »
Rob, I have to do the same. The PO showed me the previous emissions tests where he left the cat out and my car would just barely fail. I do dread every time I drive by an emissions van. Just waiting for my notice to go get tested for failing the vans...sigh.

RobD

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 10:14:19 PM »
Jay its a bummer anytime you have to go to that place.  You might consider upgrading to a quality cat like Pat has in his ride.  Todd was telling me about ones like his and they do the job better than the small high flow things APR and the like use.

I just got back and passed with flying colors.  My NOx level went down to .0063 from the 4.09 I was at before.  Everything else went down substantially as well.  Now off tomorrow to go pay more taxes for tags.

Oh, as if anyone needs a reminder, Randy and Todd kick butt!

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 05:57:31 PM »
Glad that it passed with such flying colors!
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065