Author Topic: Wiper fluid Pump, B5.5 Passat  (Read 4158 times)

verc

• n00balicious
Wiper fluid Pump, B5.5 Passat
« on: December 07, 2009, 09:38:22 PM »
Does anyone know where the wiper fluid pump is located under the hood?  I seem to suffer from a lack of pressure or flow.  One side barely reaches the windshield and the other side doesn't squirt at all.  I have tried messing with the angle of the nozel to no effect.
001.5 GLS 1.8T Manual APR Stage 1
Fresco Green
17" Ronal wheels

KWilson

• Lightly Modded
Re: Wiper fluid Pump, B5.5 Passat
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 01:19:05 PM »
Not sure about the B5.5, but they are usually located under the reservoir(attached to it).

Sounds more like your nozzels/lines are clogged up.  

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 01:19:05 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 01:23:02 PM »
Is it squirting out the drivers side and not the passenger side or vice versa?  A weak pump might do that in the first scenario. I agree though, it should be below the resevoir.

Also, check, there should be (I hope) a screen where the fluid comes into the pump. It could be blocked.

Check the lines, look to see if you see the blue liquid anywhere in the engine bay indicating a punctured line or something like that. Can you hear the pump run okay when you try spraying?

scottvw

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 06:07:41 PM »
I've had connection issues with the lines inside the hood before.   I would check there first.  I would also stick a pin down in the nozzles to see if they might be clogged.

greenlurker

• n00balicious
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 02:48:11 PM »
I've got 2 B5.5 passats at my house and we have the same thing happening to both right now as well. In our case, the fluid we put in 3 months ago was not indicated for use in winter temperatures; as such, it's freezing.

When you try to spray, it barely comes out of one nozzle, and the other is completely unreactive. This sounds like your problems as well.

If your car is garaged, try to spray when you get in the car in the morning and see if that fixes it before you go out and buy parts.
003 Fresco Green 1.8T

verc

• n00balicious
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 04:50:46 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions!

It has been doing this for about a year, only its most annoying now with all the splashback.  I will try the pin in the nozzle and see if the screen is clogged in the reservior.  I can hear the pump running and I have not noticed any fluid leaks from the cleaner.

Fresco Green
17" Ronal wheels

verc

• n00balicious
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 03:39:32 AM »
I just thought I would give an update in case someone else has the same problem.  It appears that the hose connecting the driver side wiper jet had come loose inside the hood.  There was still enough pressure to get a little bit of fluid out the passenger side jet but the driver side was just squirting into the hood.  I reconnected the driver side and both jets work correctly again. ;D
Fresco Green
17" Ronal wheels

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 01:06:11 PM »
Woo hoo! Thanks for the update. At least it was a low cost fix.