Author Topic: Is there any good "you pull" junk yard locations in the Denver metro area?  (Read 1795 times)

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
I need to replace a part from my drivers side seat on the GTI 337 (MkIV 2000-2006).  The part that needs to be replaced allows the whole seat to move forward to the steering wheel, allowing easy access to the back seat.  As it stands now, only the seat back is released to come forward.  I have tried to repair with epoxy but it does not hold.  The part in question is part of the standard VW GTI assembly and should not be specific to the Recaro part of the seat.

The dealer does not have the part as a stand alone, only the whole base unit (too much money, it is a few dollar part).  I have called around to a few auto salvage places that will let you pull, but they do not have GTI's in their inventory, or they will only sell the whole seat.

Or, if you know of a private person who is having their car totaled and would be nice enough to let me have the part.  It does not affect the seats ability to do it's job when in the locked position, it just will not allow it to move forward.

Any help would be much appreciated.  TIA

Dave
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: Is there any good "you pull" junk yard locations in the Denver metro area?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 05:17:03 PM »
From the vortex "Pull and save is starting to get more and more mk4's as of late. "

Although I know they have been raising prices as well, but worth checking out.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 05:17:03 PM »

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 06:27:02 PM »
Thanks Jay.

I called them and they could not verify what autos they had in stock, but I was more than welcome to come out.  I figure I will make a run tomorrow.

Any more input would be greatly appreciated.

You know, I have to say that I am looking forward to this.  Maybe I can find some Passat parts too!  Nothing like tearing down for something you need on the cheap.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 07:08:06 PM »
Well I went out to both the Pull-in Save and the U-Pull and Pay store.  Both within a few miles of each other.  While I did not find a MkIV GTI/Golf I did score on the Passat.  I found a burgundy 2001 V6 Passat and was able to get a drivers side tail light assembly, a trunk light assembly for the license plate and a whip antennae.  I walked out the door for under $30.00

All parts have been installed and the old girl looks a bit better.  She will be 10 years, old and 91,000 on the odo going into 2010.

Just an FYI, most of the VW's at both locations are from the 90's.  Only a couple of 90's Audi's.  Slim pickin's over all.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 08:35:46 PM »
Thanks for the update Dave, at least the trips weren't wasted.