Author Topic: Upcoming Timing Belt Garage Day  (Read 3056 times)

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Upcoming Timing Belt Garage Day
« on: December 17, 2009, 08:51:18 PM »
I am going to be replacing my 1.8t TB on my Passat along with doing my neighbor's TB on his GTI probably on the Sunday after New Years.  I wanted to see if anyone else has any work they need done on their ride and host a garage day at my place for this.

Dub
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: Upcoming Timing Belt Garage Day
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 02:05:52 AM »
Wow, last time I recall this being done was 2002 or 2003, is this the 2nd or third?

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 02:05:52 AM »

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 12:42:31 PM »
We'll be on our way back to CO that day, so I'm out.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 03:24:03 PM »
Dub, is this still going to happen this weekend? Let me know as I can come by and help out or just supervise and tell bad jokes.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 04:36:03 PM »
Hey Jay. Sorry, I never saw any replies to this until this one.

Andrew, my neighbor, and I will be getting started on this tomorrow morning about 7 or so. If anyone wants to come by let me know. You can supervise any time you want, Jay. We'll do Taste of Philly around noon. I need to be done by 5 as we have some other plans after that.

This is only my second TB change. Low miles on the B5 for the last 6 years I guess.

Can't wait!

Dub

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 03:42:01 PM »
This has been postponed.  Andrew didn't get his parts in yet, so we're going to do this next Saturday the 9th.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 01:16:48 AM »
My neighbor asked me to move this to Friday the 8th so that's when it will be.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 10:36:24 PM »
So how did it go?

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 12:44:59 AM »
It went well.  It did take longer than the last time I did it, but that was mainly because I put on a lightweight crank pully and forgot that those bolt holes are not symmetrical.

Andrew's GTI presented us with the most trouble and that was because of the timing belt tensioner is real PITA to get on with the timing belt on.  Take the timing belt off and you can't get the tensioner in.  In the end, after 5 hours of working on the blasted thing, we just loosened the water pump and then got everything on.  Lessons learned, but a good day overall. 

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 02:15:36 AM »
Sounds good, now you really are a pro at it. ;) Glad it all worked out, here's to another 80K of problem free driving.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 02:58:39 PM »
I do feel like I am a pro at it now.  I think the last time I did it, since we were in such a big group, I got answers to any snags so fast, I didn't put them in my long term memory.  That crank pulley is the case in point.

Now my DV is going bad, so I need to replace that too.  Back under the car in the next couple of days for that.  I can't be boost deprived or I won't know how much a difference the new pulley makes.

I think I may be in the market for another car this year.  My choice will be an A4 wagon, but Jen is due for the next car so I'll have to see how much that sets me back!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 03:30:42 PM »
Not to sidetrack too much, did you ever sell the FJ60?

The A4 wagons are nice, believe it or not, even though I didn't like having an Automatic we still got another Passat last year and I really like the wagons, They are very roomy. Of course by the time you get 4 motion into the mix you are into a VR6 and the price is pretty high. Pretty much into an A4 at that point though the Passat probably has a little more room.

The new A4 wagons are really nice, would be very jealous if you got one. ;)

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 04:45:39 PM »
yeah I would actually still get a Passat wagon, but I'd want AWD with a 4 cylinder turbo.  Since VW doesn't cater to my tastes, I'm left with the Audi as my only choice unless I wanted to get a Subaru or something similar.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 04:58:38 PM »
Even then you can't get a NEW subaru wagon with a  4cyl turbo unless you get a WRX ;)

I agree, I think VW is being kind of dumb. Look at the most built out CC it is like $44K...$44K! You can get a Mercedes or BMW with better quality (yeah I said it) for that much.

Same goes for the Passats. If you fully load one you could have an A4 wagon or even an A6 wagon with greater options I'm pretty sure.

Ok, done derailing :P