Author Topic: Tire recommendation  (Read 2323 times)

scottvw

• Lightly Modded
Tire recommendation
« on: February 03, 2010, 02:49:32 PM »
I recently bought a set of BBS CH's for my 02 Passat.  I have been itching to put them on, but I still have about 5,000 miles left on my current tires and don't want to do a swap.

I am a fan of Michelin tires and have had really good success with the Exalto A/S tire.  They have worn well, been quiet and handle fairly well in all conditions.  I don't want to skimp on tires because they are the only thing between you and the road.

The only drawback is that they are not cheap ($183 at Discount).  I am going to put a set of 235/45/17's on and was wondering if there were any other opinions on tires that you guys have run that you liked.  Again, I don't want to put on junk but don't want to break the bank either.  If anyone has a better hookup on the Discount price.....please let me know too.

Thanks in advance.  I can't wait to rock out my new wheels.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 02:52:39 PM by scottvw »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: Tire recommendation
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 03:08:04 PM »
Congrats on the wheel purchase! Love the way CH's look on Passats. Call Tire Source in Boulder, I know it's a bit of a trek but they can get just about anything, plus you can get an alignment there for like $50.  Make a morning or day out of being up in Boulder.

I have been running Summitomo HTR  in the 18" variety. I think they were about $100 or just over a tire for my size. Not the best, not the worst. For me they are a great year round tire. Granted I have AWD so some folks complain about their deep snow and ice handling, I can see that as a valid argument.

Here is a link to tire rack's comparison for my tire, it ranks 15:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?width=235/&ratio=45&diameter=17&type=UHPAS

Granted, what you have been running seems to be the highest rated tire in it's class:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?width=235/&ratio=45&diameter=17&type=HPAS

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 03:08:04 PM »

scottvw

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 04:08:53 PM »
Granted, what you have been running seems to be the highest rated tire in it's class

Read more: http://www.rmcb5.com/forums/general-discussion/tire-recommendation/#ixzz0eUuYZGt8

I think that if I go with less of a tire I will probably be dissapointed.  I don't have AWD so I have to rely on good tires.  Saving a few bucks on a lower tire would probably frustrate me in the long run.  No one wants to get in their car and hate the way it rides.  I am lucky in that I only put about 10K on my car a year and don't blow through tires.  Having a sucky tire for 2 out of 4 years would be bad.

I guess you do get what you pay for.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 04:12:51 PM »
It's very true, at the rate you go through tires I would be willing to spend more for a better tire since they last so long. I burn through tires pretty quick so I have been willing to accept shortcomings in some areas in exchange for a lower price.

Anyway, if you call some other tire shops maybe they can get you a better deal on the tire you already know and trust. I think tire rack had it for about $20 less than discount, so if someone could meet you in the middle it might be worth while.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 04:49:32 PM »
out of curiosity (I also need new summer tires this spring), I clicked on the top rated tire on Jay's 1st link, the Continental Extreme Contact DWS. They are exceptionally rated and for my size, 235/40/18 they run $125/tire. Not bad at all.

Granted, I'm looking for 3-seasons, but having an all-season set would be nice for those crazy late spring/early fall snow storms.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

scottvw

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 05:50:42 PM »
Any opinions on the Continental Extreme Contact DWS?  All of the reviews on the Discount Tire site look good.  They also look good based on on Jay's link.  Lastly, they are about $50 cheaper than the Michelin's.....the full replacement tire warranty is cheaper too.  This might be my new tire.

KWilson

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 06:39:09 PM »
Probably a little late, but I've been running Bridgestone Potenza G 009's for the past two years.  It looks like they've been replaced by the Potenza G 019.  They're great on dry or wet pavement, but not so good in the snow.  Luckily, I run winter tires, so that's not much of a factor for me.

BTW, Scott - Were you selling a large white cabinet on Craigslist about a month ago?  If so, it was nice to meet you.  I was the guy with the wife and two small children who noticed your VW collection.

- Keith

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 12:35:45 PM »
Scott~
Tell us a little more about what you're looking for in a tire.  What attributes are important to you?  They have to be A/S?
We recently got the Conti DWS Mrs. Pat's A6.  They are exceptional tires for snow considering they are in the A/S category.  We wanted separate summers and winters for her car but funds dictated we just use one set.  Snow performance is important to us, and I'm confident we made the right choice.  We just got them on a couple months ago, so I can't really tell you how they are when its warm and dry.  That said, we're very pleased so far.
Her car is a stock 2000 A6 Avant, so I don't thing super high-performance tires would make a huge difference anyway.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

scottvw

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 12:40:38 PM »
Were you selling a large white cabinet on Craigslist about a month ago?  If so, it was nice to meet you.  I was the guy with the wife and two small children who noticed your VW collection

Read more: http://www.rmcb5.com/forums/general-discussion/tire-recommendation/#ixzz0fQWkf8sF

Hey Keith....I was selling the cabinet....small world.  BTW, we finally got rid of it.

Pat, as far as what I'm looking for.  A tire that will be good in the snow.  Like you, I don't have dedicated winter tires.  However, I would like a quiet smooth riding tire as well.  I really liked how my Michelin's performed, but they are expensive.  If I could get the Conti's for $50 cheaper than the Michelin's and they perform similarly, then I would go for it.  Unfortunately they are on back order.  The good news is that I still have some miles left on my current Michelin's.

Thanks for the review.....that's what makes this site so cool.

Scott

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 09:58:41 PM »
out of curiosity (I also need new summer tires this spring), I clicked on the top rated tire on Jay's 1st link, the Continental Extreme Contact DWS. They are exceptionally rated and for my size, 235/40/18 they run $125/tire. Not bad at all.

Granted, I'm looking for 3-seasons, but having an all-season set would be nice for those crazy late spring/early fall snow storms.

I'm looking for the exact same tire size for the same reason and I just checked on these and they were $146 a tire, so I wonder if they had a surge in popularity or something.  I was getting jazzed for the $125 price  :(
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

scottvw

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 01:33:03 PM »
It looks as if they did go up a few dollars at Discount.  They were on a national back order for quite a while.  I like mine so far, no complaints.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 03:43:57 PM »
I am waiting to get tires from Tire Rack, but it is still on back order for my size.
Maybe I should check with Discount Tire or Swis Tire.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 04:53:10 PM »
Hey Alan,

Yes, Discount is great.  You can tell them the price from Tire Rack and they will usually meet the price, plus no waiting!

I've been a customer of theirs for years and they have always taken care of me.

-Dub
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.