Author Topic: ClearPlex demo car  (Read 1662 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
ClearPlex demo car
« on: February 01, 2010, 01:45:10 AM »
I got an email the other day from Intrigue Detail to see if I was interested in trying out a new product. Countless others go the message as well, but I was caught by what the product is. Essentially, it is a like a really heavy duty clear bra for your windshield. I mean seriously for years I thought, why can't there be something like xpel headlight covers or ski savers for skis, but for windshields. Obviously if you think about it, well, you need to be able to see, so it can't yellow. It needs to be able to repel enough junk to make it cost effective and most of all needs to be affordable for the consumer.

This isn't a product pitch or anything like that. I have the very first install of it at least in Colorado. It's not perfect *yet* as they are just learning how to properly install it. From that standpoint it has some potential. The areas where the install went fine, it is not noticeable. I know they are working on getting down the install properly and I will be going back soon to get another install done.

My commute is along 470, EB in the morning, EB in the evening. On top of that I take my car skiing and the windshield gets worked. Granted, my windshield is not terribly expensive, about $300 installed (glass, seal and install). I'm not sure if the product will be really oriented towards people with cheaper windshields, but those with odd sizes, exotics, collectors, etc this has some potential.

It should be on my car for at least the next few months. I would run out and show you all now, but like I said this first install isn't pretty, but we wanted to log some miles on it. While we were at the shop we did some non scientific tests on an old windshield. Again, it has potential.

I will use this thread for updating on the process and the success/failure. Granted the weather this week will be fine, hope for some snow and crap in the near future to give it a good run.

Here is a link to the ClearPlex website: http://www.clearplex.com and of course our friends at Intrigue: http://www.theintriguedetail.com

English

• Lightly Modded
Re: ClearPlex demo car
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 12:36:05 PM »
I will be very interested in the results. I travel up and down I70 to denver on a fairly regular basis. The windshield in my Discovery is "heated", it has the same type fine wire heating element as a rear window so i wonder if that would make a difference?....i've been told that those windshields are $800+ to replace.

Even if they are ugly.....pictures would be interesting
02 Allroad 2.7T
03 Land Rover Discovery
01 BMW R1150GS

"It's like pie and chips.......for free"

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 12:36:05 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 12:43:35 PM »
The hope is they wont be ugly once they get the install down, and your vehicle is a prime candidate for this type of product if it turns out to be everything they say.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 08:43:10 PM »
I have the same thing in my discovery, as does Andrew, those heating elements in the windshield.

KWilson

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 10:00:48 PM »
Interesting.  I'll probably be getting a couple of new windshields this spring.  What's the price range for this product?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 10:04:23 PM »
Not sure yet, I think they are testing it out on cars to make sure a) it can be installed properly and b) that it actually works. I think their initial blast stated about the same as repairing a windshield, but I think it would be more than that. Again, this indicates, for those with real pricey windshields like those Rovers it is probably worthwhile. The key is you probably need to replace the film each year, but if it is a low use vehicle it could last a couple years I bet.

English

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 04:46:17 PM »
the "ugly" comment was aimed at the test install, not the final product....just wondered how it looks now thats all.. ;)
02 Allroad 2.7T
03 Land Rover Discovery
01 BMW R1150GS

"It's like pie and chips.......for free"

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 04:57:15 PM »
LOL, still ugly, still the test install. I should be touching base this week to see how it's going and probably get this one pulled and another install done.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 09:11:30 PM »
I've been running a "tear-off" on the race car for awhile now, effectively the same thing.  Applying it is an art, and if done wrong can look really horrible.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com