Author Topic: Oil in Coolant/Coolant in Oil..... Covered by drivetrain warranty?  (Read 1303 times)

capncrunch5177

• n00balicious
Hello all, I would appreciate any input for my dilemma...

I've had my B5 1.8T 2001 Passat stored in garage for a good couple months, and when I started her up few months ago I immediately got a check engine light. I was in a hurry so driven the car out for a short trip, so it seems to run ok... I opened up the hood next time when I had a chance, then noticed my plastic coolant reservoir was filled with grey coolant... Checking the dip stick, the oil was cloudy... :_( Previously the last thing done to the car was radiator replacement and timing belt change done at a dealership.

Any advice if this repair would be still covered by warranty? I am the original owner, about 90K miles. I heard that one cause of the problem could be the oil cooler, but I have no idea what that is... Or, another cause could be a bad gasket.

I hope I can get this covered by warranty, and if so, which dealer would you recommend? I live in S. Denver area so it seems McDonald VW is closest to me.

Again, much obliged for any help!

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 06:03:50 PM by capncrunch5177 »

KWilson

• Lightly Modded
Re: Oil in Coolant/Coolant in Oil..... Covered by drivetrain warranty?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 06:36:52 PM »
I doubt that this will be covered under a warranty (unless you have an extended warranty).  I'd probably guess that it's an oil cooler issue, unless you've had some overheating issues.

It should be a fairly simple and straightforward repair.  The oil cooler (heat exchanger) should be the part on top of the oil filter.  The repair should consist of an oil change, replacement of the part (while the oil is drained), and a coolant flush.  If not under warranty, I wouldn't go to the stealership.  Try out one of the independent shops like Autobahn - it will probably be much cheaper and a better job.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 06:36:52 PM »

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 11:46:20 AM »
If it's the oil cooler, it should be covered under the drivetrain warranty assuming yours is still good to 100K miles. See this thread - http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118138

capncrunch5177

• n00balicious
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 02:37:31 PM »
That link was sure helpful, I think I'll take a chance contacting the dealer and then see what happens... I'll keep this forum updated.

Thanks to all!