Author Topic: We may be moving the site to a new host....sigh  (Read 3551 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
We may be moving the site to a new host....sigh
« on: August 31, 2010, 09:32:39 PM »
Something is up with our current host, who really has been pretty good to us for the last 7 or so years. Unfortunately some decisions they have made which impacted all their users were done without any notification. Since last Winter there have been signs and it is my belief either the end is near for the business or it has been sold to a competitor that plans on absorbing our accounts and providing sub-par service.

If anyone has good recommendations I would appreciate it. It's been a year or so since I last looked.

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
Re: We may be moving the site to a new host....sigh
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 11:41:53 AM »
Sorry, don't have any recommendations... wish i did.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 11:41:53 AM »

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
who is the current host?   I switched my site over to dreamhost about a year ago and have been pretty happy with them so far.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 12:44:04 PM »
We are with HostPC. I recall looking at dreamhost in the past. I will give them another look. I think right now GoDaddy is at the top of the list, but we'll see. Didn't really want to have to deal with this crap right now.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 04:30:11 PM »
How much space do you need?  Do you need database support? What's your budget?
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 12:14:54 AM »
another vote for dreamhost.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 12:37:27 PM »
Ian, I am looking for 2 accounts overall one for my HOA and one for me/RMCB5. The HOA doesn't need a ton. I think right now it is setup with like a 5GB max.  For RMCB5/me I have been using an account with 15GB space, but in actuality only using less than 3GB. The majority is RMCB5, I'm sure i have some backups sitting out there too I need to remove.

My skepticism with dreamhost is everything is unlimited for $100/year, but  that is overkill for the HOA and even for us. I would rather have tiered rates based on storage. I'll keep looking at them, I need to make a decision for the HOA today or tomorrow and get that site moved at the very least. I think I may just do that with GoDaddy since the domain is there too and it can easier for someone to manage in the future.

Thanks again for the input.

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 09:06:33 PM »
Hi Jay. We are on hostdone.com. I'm not necessarily recommending them, just letting you know we are fine w/ their services. You helped w/ some permission issues in the past which the host had to correct. I think the prices are good though.