Author Topic: 17" summer tire recommendations  (Read 2639 times)

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
17" summer tire recommendations
« on: April 17, 2004, 10:06:38 PM »
Just washed, polished and waxed my summer wheels and I noticed that there isn't much tread left on my Kumhos.  I have a dedicated set of snow tires I use for the winter, so I'm not looking for a all-season tire.
I'm started to do some research on a good set of summer performance tire.  My main criteria is good treadlife and excellent road noise.

These are the summer tires I've used in the past:
Yokohama AVS Sport ($144): Unique tread pattern (like the Yokohama logo), but wore out very fast.  I will never buy these tires again because it generated unbearable road noise.  Performance was pretty disappointing as it felt very twitchy on the highway and was only stable on the smoothest of roads.  They introduced a new version of it called the AVS dBs, short for decibel (pricey at $196 and only available in all-season) to remedy the noise problem of the AVS Sport, but from what I've heard from owners of the AVS dBs that these tires are fairly quiet at first, but after some wear the road noise became pretty aparent.

Kumho SCSTA Supra 712 ($86): This is Kumho's first non-competition road tire to be introduced in the American market, an very good at that.  Excellent value, great performance, and a nice tread pattern similar to very expensive Michelin Pilot Sport ($172).  After a few thousand miles on it generated considerable amount of road noise, not as much as the Yokos, but still very noticable. So far the best all-round tire I've owned.

These are some tires I'm considering:
Continental ContiSportContact 2 ($133/on sale): Excellent test results from Tire Rack, with excellent road manners and noise.  It also achieved great dry performance, however wet performance is a bit twitchy under hard turns (not a concern since we don't get much rain).

Continental ExtremeContact Sports ($113): Highly prised by many on this forum, these tires are only available in all-season.  Tire Rack's testing showed that these tires have decent performance for dry, wet and snow conditions, however it had considerable road noise.  These tires are also a great value.

Kumho ECSTA 711 ($71): not to be confused with the ECSTA Supra 712, this is a even cheaper tire to the ECSTA line, but based on customer reviews, it seems like performance is not a good as the Supra 712, especially in wet weather.  It's still a decent tire, but I'll probably stick to the Supra 712 than these.

Kumho ECSTA KU19 ($101): Excellent test results from Tire Rack, beating out the likes of Goodyear Eagle RS-A, Bridgestone Potenza RE750, and Yokohama AVS ES100 in overall performance (and all much more expensive).  The only drawback is it's fast wear, and slightly hesitant manners in wet conditions.  The Kumho ECSTA KH11 ($96), is a touring version of this tire, which trades a little bit of performance for better road noise and comfort.

Goodyear F1 GS-D3 ($160): Very extreme and cool looking tread pattern that supposedly enhanse performance and responsiveness in both dry and wet conditions.  In both the test and consumer reviews, it was praised for excellent road noise and comfort while delivering crisp performance.  It's a little expensive and I'm not sure of it's durability will justify this price.

Any suggestions?
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Re: 17" summer tire recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 02:23:58 AM »
Quote from: "aowhaus"
I'm started to do some research on a good set of summer performance tire.  My main criteria is good treadlife and excellent road noise.

Keep in mind everything below is written with no undertanding of your track day intentions.
I don't have personal experience with any of these except for the 712, but here's how I see it.

1.  Conti SC2 is a killer tire.  Loads of dry grip with a good ride quality.  They don't really match your goal of good treadlife, though.
2.  Conti Extreme is also a killer tire, but it's designed for all seasons.  Therefore, you can rule this out since you're looking for a summer performance tire.
3.  Ecsta 711 is a downgrade from the 712.  The 712 is at least a step down from the Conti SC2, so I'd rule out the 711 since it is not in the same class as any of the others mentioned.  Not a performance tire.
4.  Kumho KU19...well, I have no idea other than what you've read on the Tire Rack site.  Looks promising, except of course for the treadwear rating.  Attractive price, too.
5.  GS-D3 is in a class above everything offered here, except maybe the Conti SC2.  It's a lot of tire for our cars.  Price no object, get this.  I personally think it's a better tire than you need.

I suppose of what you're considering, I'd go with either the Conti SC2 or Kumho KU19.  I'll throw out one more option for you.  What about the Falken Azenis ST-115?  It is very quiet and has a stout wear rating.  You could probably get them cheap from Edge Racing.  The one downside to this is the limit of absolute dry grip.  Certainly it's a very grippy tire under everyday driving conditions, but drive it at it's limit for more than a couple minutes and it gets greasy faster than other tires in it's price range.  Of course, if you don't ever drive your car like that, it's not a concern and would be my number one choice.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 02:23:58 AM »

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 03:01:07 AM »
You have some good suggestions there (Goodyear and Conti), but i am a big fan of the Toyo T1-S.. I am running them currently and highly recomend them.   They can be had for a good price from edgeracing.com.

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 03:13:40 AM »
Why not consider the Falken's? I picked up a set 225/45-17 Falken ZE-512's today for $85 a tire. (by far the cheapest I could find anywhere, including online).They are an all-season, high performance Z-rated tire. They are super quiet and rated #1 by Consumer Reports...

I highly recommend checking out Meadow Creek Tire if looking for tires. They are on 49th and Colorado and are a wholesaler, but sell to the general public. They actually sell to all the local big tire chains. Really nice guys and the owner is an insane Audi enthusiast. I think he even races professionally too. They can tell all you want to know about tires and help you decide what tires will suit your needs and wallet.

Itís nice to support the small local shops and talk with someone on a level we all can understand. I canít stand going to Discount Tire or Big O, etcÖIf anyone wants more info please let me know.

So, anyway Alan, I would check what you can get locally and check out Meadow Creek Tire. They can get you anything you want...

www.meadowcreektire.com
mad wagon

BlackA4

• n00balicious
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 07:22:04 AM »
I just had the new BFGoodrich  G-Force KDW-2 installed yesterday the 15th. They have one of the best ratings for wet and dry traction. They have a 300 tread life and nice stiff side walls. They are really quite exept when doing 40 MPH. That is where they hum a bit like truck tires. VERY much bearible though.  I recommend!!!!!!. I like the nice and different tread design. Got them for 147 at tirerack each.
att

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 12:55:16 AM »
oh the choices!!!  :?

I'd guess I'm not so much concerned with treadlife if the price is reasonable (under $130/ea).  
I know there's a fine balance between summer high performance and road comfort/noise, as high performance tires generally have more road noise due to its tread pattern and rubber compound.

Thanks Mark for your Meadow Creek Tire recommendation, It's nice to know of local businesses who could give professional and passionate opinions.  

I'm leaning towards the ContiSportContact2 (due to its combination of perfromance and low road noise), and since I already have a dedicated set of winter tires it seems like I would want to go for a summer performance tire to get the best performance, so the Falkin Azenis ST-115 seems like a comparible summer tire alternative to the all-season Falkin ZE-512 (Mark's recommendation) and the price seems very good, it also has a 360 treadwear rating which is another plus.

The search continues...

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 12:24:55 PM »
Whew, don't know why I'm so obsessed about finding the perfect tire, but I think I've found my match: the Falken Azenis ST-115.
Everywhere I've read it has excellent performance, and most people were amazed about quiet it is (especially for a performance tire), it even had a few praises on a car audio site (they rather hear their stereos than the road), and at just above 100 bucks a tire it is an awesome value.

Any opinions on these?

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2004, 12:25:06 PM »
Hey Alan, I got my Falken GRB-FK451's for around $130 each and [once I got my hubcentric rings on] they are really quiet and super sticky.  I got them a year ago and still have plenty of tread left.  They were great on the track, good in wet and dry and have a good treadlife (280, IIRC).

I have been very happy with them.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 03:12:10 PM »
FYI - I am running Pirelli PZero Nero M&S and love them, however I was looking for an all season tire as well.  According to the TireRack reviews, they rated a 9 on dry, which looked dang good for an all-season, they are quite and cost about $125 each for 225/45WR17  I had the Continental ContiExtremeContact on my VR6 Jetta, and thought they were extreemly good as well.  It just appeard the Pirelli's rated a little better, so that is what I went with.
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 03:28:09 PM »
Overwhelmed yet Alan?
 :huh:
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson