Author Topic: Tie rod ends - StarlightB5 topic  (Read 1082 times)

XCMTBing

• n00balicious
Tie rod ends - StarlightB5 topic
« on: April 19, 2004, 06:44:42 PM »
Starlight.
Yes it was I who did the replacement of the tie rod ends at the GTG.  I did use the ESC tuning Meyle HD - I have the distinguished honor of being the first person they sold them to (call me a guinea pig).

I'm probably being repetitive since others have responded already but here is some advice that I have:

Starting at least 48 hours prior to the beginning of the procedure spray the area where the tie rod end goes into the inner tie rod with something like PB Blaster or WD-40. You'll need to turn back the "locking" (not sure if that's the correct term) nut before doing this to get some good penetration.

Have a tool that allows you to clamp around the flat surface of the old tie rod end and put a lot of torque to it - necessary to break it loose from the inner tie rod.

It is possible that if you put too much pressure to the old tie rod end and it doesn't break loose from the inner tie rod that the rubber dampener will break and will spin within the tie rod end.  In this instance you'll need to the following.

Get a vice grip...or two.

Get a torch.

Heat up the inside tie rod where the tie rod end goes into it.

AND GET AGGRESSIVE!

If you want some pics I have some of the torching process that I can send to you. Let me know.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 08:46:55 PM »
HOLY MOLY!!

Thanks for the update.  I bought some PB Blaster and I will spray some on the night before.  Please send some pics, just in case.  I do have a torch if needed.  Hopefully I will not run into the issues you had.

You do not know how much this info helps.  I think that those of us that have done this need to write up the definitive document for folks.  It sounds like from the threads here and at CB5 that many people are going to be doing this upgrade.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 08:46:55 PM »