Author Topic: insurance survey for B5 drivers in Denver/Boulder  (Read 5363 times)

Lila

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
insurance survey for B5 drivers in Denver/Boulder
« on: April 20, 2004, 10:39:11 PM »
Hi all,

I'm just curious what people are paying for insurance around here.  I'm paying $705/year for full coverage ($100,000/$300,000) on a 2000 Passat Variant (Encompass Insurance via Taggart Agency in Boulder).  I've got a friend who seems like he's paying a fair amount more ($1,800/year for a 03 Passat Variant), and I'm wondering if I've got a great deal or if he is getting hosed.

Lila

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Re: insurance survey for B5 drivers in Denver/Boulder
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 10:44:05 PM »
Quote from: "Lila"
Hi all,

I'm just curious what people are paying for insurance around here.  I'm paying $705/year for full coverage ($100,000/$300,000) on a 2000 Passat Variant (Encompass Insurance via Taggart Agency in Boulder).  I've got a friend who seems like he's paying a fair amount more ($1,800/year for a 03 Passat Variant), and I'm wondering if I've got a great deal or if he is getting hosed.

Lila

there are alot of varibles with insurance. Things like sex, martital status, past record, residual value of vehicle, insurance institute record of the certain vehicle/engine combo and your carrier. my wife and i spend about $1600/yr for both of our VW's. 2001 and 2002. Our last carrier here in denver was about $3000/yr for the same coverage. It defintly pays to shop around.. seems like you did pretty good.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Re: insurance survey for B5 drivers in Denver/Boulder
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 10:44:05 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 11:27:38 PM »
I pay about $1300/year, covers my 2000 A6, 1977 Scout II and 1979 Honda Cm400A (motorcycle).

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 12:00:36 AM »
See now all of you that thought that their was no benifit in being old were wrong, :D  Your insurance is about half as much as mine, I pay about $1300 every 6 months. :mad:  Damn insurance....

Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 12:44:28 AM »
Damn!  Mine is $3,700 for the year with Progressive!!! :mad:

I pretty much have your typical coverage, and I told them I only drive my car on the weekends since my workplace is half a mile away.
They pretty much have me in a bind, since I had one ticket (2 points and $50) and my insurance almost doubled -- I asked to get a requote and they couldn't do much better and they said that if I switched to another insurance company it would be even more.

Besides that one speeding ticket I have a clean 13 year driving record, unfortunately Progressive and Geico (my previous insurer) wouldn't even consider my record in Canada, dispite providing an official report from the ministry of transportation.

I have to wait three years since the time of the speeding ticket for my rates to drop at least half of what I'm paying.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 12:53:38 AM »
alan, it's time to shop around man. :)

Noob_Shum

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 01:29:46 AM »
I am paying around $1350 a year for my 2002 S4, that is with a good record (not sure how they missed my "driving too fast for conditions" ticket about 2 years ago), and I don't have any of the new med-pay options atm (hoping I never get into a bad accident, and figure I will just buy the Chiropractor I work with many lunchs, for him to fix me up if I do get in one!  :P ).

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 01:55:23 AM »
Alan man,  you gotta shop around...

I don't have insurance.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2004, 02:01:45 AM »
Holy crap Alan! 8O  8O I think they've got you around their finger...

I have Progressive and pay $1500 per year. I've been with them since 99 and got a ticket two years ago that jacked it up. It used to be about $1200.
mad wagon

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2004, 02:03:19 AM »
Quote from: "TLJR20v"
Alan man,  you gotta shop around...

I don't have insurance.

Are you serious? 8O
mad wagon

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2004, 03:26:06 AM »
Pay around $2160/year to cover a 2001 Subaru Outback Wagon and a 2000 Passat GLS through Farmers Insurance. That figure is already discounted because of our home owner's policy with them also. I also have one speeding ticket that should be removed come October this year so rates should drop a bit. I believe it's the same liability/comp coverage as Lila. The biggest factor for us seems to be deductible amounts. I think ours is $500 for collision, but we have a $100 window deductible. Cheap windshields for us.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2004, 04:29:22 AM »
I pay $1400 per year for a 2001 Allroad and a 2003 Mini Cooper, I have full coverage, Max liability, $250 deduct, all the wistles and bells....through USAA.  I am single, male, and older than snot. :P

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2004, 12:12:21 PM »
Just to add some info from out of state...

Im 20, got a ticket 2 years ago, 47 in a 30 (reduced to $50, 1 pt) and raised my rates.  Renewal just came around and previously was paying $194/month and was paying a little over $2300 a year.  Just renewed coming May, and Im back down to $165/month equaling about 1900 a year.  I still have full coverage on the Passat, 250k liability iirc, rental insurance (need rental while car is being repaired), and some other stuff.  Im single and still on my parents insurance.  We also have home owners insurance, a 24' Stingray boat, '02 Chevy Avalanche, '02 sebring Convertible, and '93 Yamaha 600 bike all on the same plan.  We get a package deal with USAA and they are great.  $500 deductable, and $0 deductable for full coverage insurance for windshield repalcement.

Steve

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2004, 12:54:00 PM »
Steve, being under the 'rents ins is the best, if you were not you'd be getting bent over right now ;)

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2004, 12:56:16 PM »
Phucking Insurance people are all a bunch of con-men and theifs!   :oops:

Alan - you are getting raped, call some local agents from State Farm, Farmers and American Family and see what they can do for you.  I am almost certin you can get a better rate.

I pay $1,035.00 a year on my 03, with 100/300 limits and $500 deductables.  I am 26, single and this is my only car.  I do however have homeowners insurance and a small disability policy with State Farm.

**One thing to ask is how do you qualify for multipul policy discounts.  Insurance agents and companies are whores.  The more of your insurance needs you have handled by one company, the bigger the discount.**

I have recently added a 3 point ticket to my record, but they will not find out unless I tell them or I get into an accident and they have reason to pull my driving record.

I would love to offer you all insurance coverage through my office, but I can not.  Stupid specialty agency :evil:
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2004, 01:24:36 PM »
Actually, insurance companies do pull your record out for verification (I've tried getting other quotes).

I have one more year to go until my speeding ticket clears, when that time comes I'll either go with Amica (excellent rates and great customer service) or Travellers Group whom I have my property insurance with (they said I could get an additional 5% off my car insurance if I went went with them.

JR: I can't believe you're not insured, isn't that kind of illegal?
Hmmmmm, no insurance eh?   ...that's an idea  ...nah.  I'm too neurotic to pull that off!

What really pisses me off is that I know some people who had many speeding tickets and/or moving violations and their insurance is still much less than mine -- I know premiums are also based on vehicle, area, age of driver, etc., but this is rediculous.  The world of insurance is strange.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2004, 01:29:55 PM »
Right Alan, if you are shopping for coverage they will pull your record.  I was just saying that because I have the coverage now, and I am not changing companies, they will not have a reason to pull my record and discover my recent ticket.

Insurance is odd and I understand that, but I can not figure out why your rate is so high.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2004, 01:31:53 PM »
It is illegal in Colorado to not have your registered vehicle insured, in fact, they will drop your vehicle registration if they find that you are out of compliance (with no refund).  This will also potentially void any emissions test you may have taken.

Also, if you get in an accident, you could be out your car, your medical expenses and the other parties car(s) and potential medical expenses.

I guess that's why it's called insurance ;).

Another thing to keep in mind on rates are those like Jon who are able to get it through USAA, that is the absolute best. Living in Denver, especially Downtown, automatically raises rates because of all the fender benders and break ins and thefts.

When I moved to Denver from down near where Winston lives, my rates went way up.  Since I have so many cars and a renters policy I get some discounts.  In the end, the auto discount is equal to the amount I pay per year on my renters insurance.

I think age (other than ticket history) plays the largest factor.  I payed a ton until I turned 25, now I'm just about 30 so we'll see if there are any changes when i renew this summer.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2004, 01:59:29 PM »
With USAA it is $592.90 for both Carla and I for 6 months.  And I am married with children, and no I am not Al Bundy!  :)
Coverage is as follows:
1) Liability
     Bodily injury
          ea per $300,000
          ea acc $500,000
     Property Damage
          ea acc $100,000
2) Medical Payments
     ea per $10,000
3) Ununsured Motorist
     Bodily Injury
          ea per $300,000
          ea acc $500,000
4) Comprhesive Loss $100.00 dedutable
5) Collision Loss $200.00 deductable
This also covers towing, rental.

I do have points on my record, It think I am at somewhere between 4-6 points.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2004, 02:15:04 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"
When I moved to Denver from down near where Winston lives, my rates went way up...

I hear ya Jay... When I moved from Wash Park to Stapleton my insurance went up $50 per year. That's not too bad but I figured it would stay the same since I'm still in Denver proper. I found out it's because I'm now closer to Aurora! :lol: Funny how that stuff works...
mad wagon

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.amandaspear.com/ubergrrl/index.html
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2004, 02:20:52 PM »
I too have USAA...I'm paying about $1440/year for the same limits Dave mentioned. But with $100 comp. deductible and $250 collision deductible. Also towing and the highest rate of rental car is included ($35/day).
I have 2 points on my record from 2 years ago.. soon to be 2 more points. My insurance went up minimally with the last ticket. Hopefully won't go up too much with the recent one. I also think I am being insured for 20K miles a year, and have a real estate rider on my policy to protect clients and the company.

Actually I guess I'm really only paying $1300.. because last year I got a refund check for $150.00 from them. They do that every year- send their members refunds of the surplus, if they had a good year i.e. fewer accidents than they anticipated. You don't see any other insurance companies doing that.

You can probably pay less for insurance, but the difference between, say, USAA and State Farm, is that USAA pays claims, and State Farm fucks you, from what I've heard from people who've had accidents and have been insured through them.

Another benefit to USAA is that they will repair cracks, pits and chips in your windshield for FREE..no claim. They do it so that they don't have to pay to pay to replace the whole thing later on.

Even though I sound like it, I'm really not a USAA whore.. but I'll never switch.

Amanda (the slander queen)
MWJD?

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2004, 02:33:45 PM »
Too bad I don't qualify for USAA - looks like some great rates!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2004, 02:35:37 PM »
Amanda I just got an e-mail from State Farm, you are going to need to edit your post ;).

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2004, 02:39:04 PM »
Okay, okay, I really do have insurance. Just over 1.2k a year. For two cars...a trasher and the dub with two peeps
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rian_Colorado

• Stock
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2004, 02:40:57 PM »
HAAAAAAAA!

You guys and worrying about tickets.. You all know my record for the most part, I get my fair share of 4 and 6 point violations, however NONE of them has been anything that resulted in a CLAIM. (that's important)

Alan, you are correct. Ins. co's will pull your record when you sign up. With State Farm AND Farmers, your 2 points won't change the rates (they have a 2-3 point cushion...... I know this for a reason, and from experience) HOWEVER once you HAVE insurance with any ins. co, they won't just randomly pull your MVR. Don't do something stupid like TELLING them. They'd like you to..... but they can't make you, and you are not obligated to if you're not making a claim.

FYI, I'm 30, wife, kid, and have my homeowners with the same agent. I have similar coverage as has been mentioned, and I py 2400 a year for 3 cars:
2000 S4
2000 Passat Variant
1992 toyota (with liabilty only)

I think that's rather average, and could probably be doing better. I know the agent personally though, and know if I have a problem that I'll get it taken care of with little to NO problem (that's important as well, actual SERVICE is almost always overlooked in this industry until you need to use it, and by then...... it's to late!) BTW, don't think that just because you've called one "Farmers" or "State Farm" Agent, that the price in fixed. Call multiple agents for multiple companies, and get ready to be surprised at the difference in price from one agent to the next...... Insurance is a RACKET, and it's totally FUBAR.
55 MPH, slow enough to make you THINK you're safe, fast enough to kill you"

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.amandaspear.com/ubergrrl/index.html
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2004, 02:54:34 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"
Amanda I just got an e-mail from State Farm, you are going to need to edit your post ;).

LOL I almost peed on that one Jay.. maybe I'll do a little something special on my site highlighting everyone I slander.
MWJD?

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2004, 04:03:13 PM »
I wish I qualified for USAA.  My roommate has them and she raves about their good customer service.

I'm paying about $1250/year to Progressive for $100k/$300k coverage with $500 deductables for comp and collision.  I'd be paying at least $300 less than that if I still lived in Ft. Collins.  One of the bad things about living in downtown Denver.

Alan, I'm also very surprised you're getting raped so bad by Progressive.  Have you asked them specifically why your rates are so high?  Maybe there is an accident on your record that actually belongs to someone else?  Ask Progressive if they can forward you a copy of your CLUE report or go to http://www.choicetrust.com and order one yourself.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2004, 10:42:12 PM »
Quote from: "shummer"

Oh yeah, our coverage is with USAA also. :)

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2004, 10:47:48 PM »
Quote from: "Eric18T"

Am I seeing a trend or what!
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2004, 09:35:24 AM »
Quote from: "StarlightB5"
Quote from: "Eric18T"

Am I seeing a trend or what!

Totally, I have been with USAA since I was 16, almost 18 years now, also have property and homeowners through them.  My rates are a little high due to some speeding tickets, but considerine what i drive, that I am single, it is still cheaper than anywhere else.  And their customer service is top notch.  Like Amanda, I will also never switch, not worth it...and that refund each year is kinda nice...