Author Topic: Brake Questions  (Read 2052 times)

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Brake Questions
« on: April 24, 2004, 01:41:23 AM »
I have been driving a lot lately for my job. Iím starting to notice that my brakes squeak more and more by the day it seems. The brakes arenít covered by warranty so I figure that I might as well up grade to something that I want if VW isnít going to pay for it.

I saw this kit on 20vt.com and it looks good to me, but than again what do I know. I would like to ask the advice of those of you that have done brake upgrades before, Jon and Pat im hopeing you guys chime in here.

http://www.20vt.com/volkswagen_brakes.htm
Iím looking at the stage I Brake kit, it includes front and rear pads and rotors, the price is 285.00. Could I get better components if I bought them seperately for a similar final price?

Also does any one out their know any thing about the pads that are included in this kit, my car is a daily driver first and a track car second, so I need a very street friendly pad.

Thanks in advance to all who reply! :D
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Re: Break Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 02:06:44 AM »
Quote from: "blueGOLFturbo"
I have been driving a lot lately for my job. Iím starting to notice that my breaks squeak more and more by the day it seems. The breaks arenít covered by warranty so I figure that I might as well up grade to something that I want if VW isnít going to pay for it.

I saw this kit on 20vt.com and it looks good to me, but than again what do I know. I would like to ask the advice of those of you that have done break upgrades before, Jon and Pat im hopeing you guys chime in here.

http://www.20vt.com/volkswagen_brakes.htm
Iím looking at the stage I break kit, it includes front and rear pads and rotors, the price is 285.00. Could I get better components if I bought them seperately for a similar final price?

Also does any one out their know any thing about the pads that are included in this kit, my car is a daily driver first and a track car second, so I need a very street friendly pad.

Thanks in advance to all who reply! :D

First of all it is Brakes, not breaks.

Look to www.ecstuning.com instead of 20vt.com.

If you want help choosing a setup just ask.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Re: Break Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 02:06:44 AM »

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Brake Questions
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 02:13:16 AM »
Corrected thanks Eric.
Iím checking ECS right nowÖ.
 :D

Fugazi

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Brake Questions
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2004, 02:25:47 AM »
Greg,

I went through www.ecstuning.com as well, not only for my brakes, but for my friend Nancy's 1996 Golf.  they are cheap, have great quality, and many options.

I think that is the best route as well

cheers
jon

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Brake Questions
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2004, 02:27:30 AM »
Also is it necessary to upgrade both front and back or would just front be sufficient ?

Fugazi

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Brake Questions
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2004, 02:30:28 AM »
I only did fronts for now.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Brake Questions
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2004, 01:52:35 PM »
Quote from: "blueGOLFturbo"
Also is it necessary to upgrade both front and back or would just front be sufficient ?

The golf is very front biased. Almost to front biased. If you upgrade your fronts with some good  pads (HAwk, Pagid or PBR -  Please not Mintex Reds), a good slotted rotor, bleed and flush the lines you should be good to go. If you want you can replace the front lines with stainless ones (adds some potential firmness to the pedal).

If you want/have the $$ get some good pads (see above list) for the rear and if you have the money get some slotted rotors.  Keep EVERYTHING OEM sized.

The pads will make the biggest improvement of anyhthing listed above. If your rotors are still in good condition, you can just replace the pads and bleed the lines and call it a day. The second best upgrade you can do to slow the car down faster is upgrade your tires to something nice and sticky.  Good brakes are a waste of money without good tires.

Our golf stops much better now that we upgraded the tires to good tires (Bridgestone SO-3's).  Prior to the better tires under hard braking we could feel the ABS kicking in.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Brake Questions
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2004, 02:47:30 PM »
Thanks for the info Eric, I think im going to hold off on buying any thing untill I identify the odd metal on metal "ping" noise that has developed in the last couple days... but I have found a couple set's of pads that I need to choose from and im actively searching for a set of summer tires.

Thanks again for the help. :D

Fugazi