Author Topic: Mods for 2004  (Read 2528 times)

wescyde

• n00balicious
    • http://
Mods for 2004
« on: April 24, 2004, 02:45:29 AM »
I just traded in my 2001 GL for a 2004 GLS and I need help on what to do!!  I want to put a chip in first, but I'm not sure which one!  I had a Neuspeed 1.0 bar on the 2001.  Is that what I should go for again?  Should I wait until I put a few more miles on it first?  So many mods, so little money!!!

Noob_Shum

• Modded
Mods for 2004
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 03:06:21 AM »
:whaasup:  Heyas, I am sorry I can't help you much with the chip, but I am sure there are others here that can give you their insights. I assume the 1.8T ? Welcome to the site :)

Jonathan

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Mods for 2004
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 03:06:21 AM »

wescyde

• n00balicious
Mods for 2004
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 03:24:50 AM »
Yes, I have a 1.8T

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Mods for 2004
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2004, 03:33:43 AM »
Welcome, I would look at suspension and wheel tire upgrades before chip...with increased power, you will want increased handling.  I would go for handling before a chip right now...let the motor settle in.  It has pretty good power off the floor, you will notice a boost as you did before, so there are advantages there.

I think the biggest change is with suspension and wheels/tires, that will help you handle the power in the corners...not to mention the asthetic changes :)

cheers
jon

wescyde

• n00balicious
suspension
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 03:12:54 PM »
I have been doing some research on this and I need a package that will fit my work needs.  I don't want to lower my car too much and I don't want a rough ride as I will be taking clients out to lunch on a normal basis.  I've looked at the Neuspeed soft sport springs, but don't know what shock package I sould go with.  Any ideas?

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
Mods for 2004
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 03:26:22 PM »
I've got the Neuspeed SofSports in my 2000 B5 and I'm pretty happy with them.  I'm really glad I didn't go lower because I barely get out of my building's parking garage without scraping as it is.  Plus I don't have to worry about rubbing as much with wider tires.

I installed the Bilstein Sport shocks along with those springs.  I bought the shocks and springs from shox.com.  The Bilstein Sports were recommeded over the Bilstein HD's since I was installing lowering springs (even tho it is a more conservative drop).

I used to think my ride was pretty harsh, but then they re-paved some of the worst streets in my 'hood and I don't think it's bad anymore.  In fact, I sometimes wish I had an even stiffer ride when I'm pushing it on the highway.  None of my passengers has ever commented that my car has a rough ride.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Mods for 2004
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 05:38:52 PM »
I have to agree with what Velo said.  His ride is firm yet supple, the way it should be.  Another option that a lot of B5 owners go with is the Eibach pro system.  Aowhaus has a set and I drove his car right after we installed them and it was a nice sporty ride without the harshness of coilovers or a more race inspired system.

Plenty of options.  Welcome to the club!
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Mods for 2004
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2004, 06:05:58 PM »
Welcome.

I recently went through the same dilemma and after much thought, and encouragement from the group here, I went with the suspention first.  I love it!
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Re: Mods for 2004
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2004, 01:01:58 AM »
Quote from: "wescyde"
I just traded in my 2001 GL for a 2004 GLS and I need help on what to do!!  I want to put a chip in first, but I'm not sure which one!  I had a Neuspeed 1.0 bar on the 2001.  Is that what I should go for again?  Should I wait until I put a few more miles on it first?  So many mods, so little money!!!

Here's my recommended order of progression:

1. Tires, 2. Driving school/seat time at the track, 3.Suspension, 4. Power.

And right now if you a have a 1.8T, look to GIAC, APR, REVO or Upsolute for chips.. No need to look to Neuspeed unless you want a nice complete K04 kit.

And yes i am the stubborn guy with the two low-end VW's. No fancy Audi or Passat here. Weez poor folk. ;)