Author Topic: Drove the new Chrysler Crossfire and others...  (Read 1578 times)

Chas

• Modded
Drove the new Chrysler Crossfire and others...
« on: May 02, 2004, 04:01:45 AM »
So my wife has been eyeballing the new Turbo PT Cruiser, in Purple of course.  :roll: So when we got the invitation in the mail to attend the "Art of Driving" event down at Invesco Field she signed us up. I was interested in looking at the Pacifica and she the PT Turbo.

First off, the Pacifica was a very neat car/truck thingy. Very plush and well appointed. It drove like a big (and I mean really big, 4300 lbs. worth of big) car does. Solid, but the steering was light and quick. The only major drawback to the Pacifica was it's engine. Way under powered! it's a 3.4 liter, normally asperated engine developing 250 hp at 6250 rpms. Who drives a big ass car like that to get all the ponies out???  :-(  :oops:  They need to through a supercharger on that pig of a car/truck hybrid. Other than that, it was great... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Next came the Pt Cruiser. With the new "high output" engine the little convertable rocketed away very nicely. It comes standard with 220 hp, but as we all know, any turbo charged car is just waiting for some new software to make it really come alive!!! Look out for this one folks.  :cry: The engine might have had some pep, but they forgot to trim the inside of the car with anything nice. Very cheap and plasticy (if that's a word, and I think it is, now...).

The last one I drove was the Crossfire. Neat car indeed!!! I got to try the coupe version as I was short on time and no one else wanded to drive anything but the convertable versions. Again, Chrysler forgot about the interior somewhat. Not as bad as in the PT, but it could have been nicer. Lots of plastic trim and nothing that made you say, "Oh my!" What did make me say, "Oh my" was the twin sparked, 3.2 liter, 18 valve, Mercedes Benz V6. That engine got the sporty car off the line in a hurry! Lots of grunt indeed! Of course they leave the best part of the car to the Germans. Ha! But it was fun to drive. Again, very tight and responsive. The brakes really grabbed nicely, but I think they were helped out a bunch by the sticky rubber under the car. The stupid girl who was sitting in the passengers seat was a total pill. "You'll have to slow down! You'll get a chance to go fast later in the course." Shut up!
If I had to guess, I would say there is some platform sharing going on between the Crossfire and the CLK coupes Mercedes offers. I never saw the sticker on one of those bad boys. I'm sure they're not cheap. Chrysler seems to think highly of their cars as of late. The loaded Pacifica sold for $41K!!!  :o  :dontgetit:

Anyhow, it was good to see what other car companies are doing. I think VW is on the right course.  :)
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

Noob_Shum

• Modded
Re: Drove the new Chrysler Crossfire and others...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 04:48:34 AM »
Quote from: "Chas"
The stupid girl who was sitting in the passengers seat was a total pill. "You'll have to slow down! You'll get a chance to go fast later in the course." Shut up!

:lol:  8)

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 04:48:34 AM »

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 01:30:08 PM »

:-(  :oops:  They need to through a supercharger on that pig of a car/truck hybrid. Other than that, it was great... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Nothing like a little whirl to put your day in motion. Except maybe some spool that does the job quite nicely as well. 8)
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 05:30:13 PM »
I did take a look at the Crossfire.  It is surely a unique car and nicely price, however I agree that the interior build quality and materials are on the cheap side.

The center dash and console is straight off the MB SLK, but instead of the carbonfiber or wood trim, Chrysler used a very cheap looking and feeling glossy silver painted plastics.  Like the Audi TT, I felt the interior very confined and clausterphobic, with it's very tight fitting seats and small windows.  I'm certainly not a big guy and I was surprised that this American car doesn't seem to cater to American-sized drivers.

The auto-stick transmission is very nice and while I didn't drive the manual, I heard the auto is the better choice since it is more refined and better suited to the engine.

The black on white guages with Times numerals are very classy and gorgeous, I wonder why no one else could do beautiful gauges like Chrysler.

The Chrysler Pacifica is also a nice alternative to a wagon or a SUV, though the interior quality and finish are still lacking, it's definately much better than other Chrylsers.  I read in a recent magazine that Chrysler made too many loaded Pacificas which hurted their sales and didn't meet their sales expectations.  More base and lightly optioned models are being produced, so I guess you could get a good deal on a loaded one (the Nav system intergrated with the speedo is a cool option).

I always hated the interior of the PT Cruiser and I'm surprised that it hasn't been improved this whole time.  The color coordinated interior trim with the exterior is a nice idea, but hight gloss paint on plastic (like the Crossfire) and where it is used, is a major letdown and cheapens the look even more.  The steering wheel is probably the ugliest looking around and it reminds me of a steering wheel of a boat -- the spokes are too spindely and awkwardly positioned and the pie plate center airbag looks dated.

You have an interesting selection of cars to choose from.  I suggest the new and greatly improved Toyota Solara Convertable if you are looking for a family convertible and the Chrysler 300C/Dodge Magnum Hemi to compare with the Pacifica.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 06:05:43 PM »

First off, the Pacifica was a very neat car/truck thingy. Very plush and well appointed. It drove like a big (and I mean really big, 4300 lbs. worth of big) car does. Solid, but the steering was light and quick. The only major drawback to the Pacifica was it's engine. Way under powered! it's a 3.4 liter, normally asperated engine developing 250 hp at 6250 rpms. Who drives a big ass car like that to get all the ponies out???

Well Chas, the Allroad weighs in at 4300lbs and comes stock with 250hp out of 2.7liters...but it does have the twins to help get the numbers up.  So from a numbers standpoint, it is very close to the allroad, but with more room.  I know of 2 allroad guys that switched over to the Pacifica and they are happy, but feel it is underpowered...outside of that, they love it.  I do agree with you though, for something that heavy and a NA engine, it should be in the 350hp mark, that would help out a ton, but then milage will suffer I think...but at those price ranges, who cares, right? :lookround:

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 02:45:54 PM »
What you say is true Jon. But you forget, with a modern turbo charged engine and ECU system to control it (as you well know) things can be improved. With the NA Pacifica engine you'd have to spend a lot of cash to get a simular result as chipping an Allroad.

BTW, how much are used Allroads going for these days Jon?  8)
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!