Author Topic: May 1 Garage Day Plan/Info  (Read 7965 times)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
May 1 Garage Day Plan/Info
« on: April 27, 2004, 07:44:54 PM »
To narrow down the topic and provide info for everyone what the game plan is...though I would start a new thread

We are meeting at my house between 9-10am on Saturday May 1st, weather permitting.  If you still need directions, either email me or PM me.

major projects for that day include:

Daves control arms and tie rods
Van's sways
brake flushes for many, many people
possible boost gauge installs
detailing
belly pans
--what am I forgetting, the list seems smaller than I remember....

we were gonna do Andrews sways, but he is gonna hold off for a while, so that leaves more time to detail cars and get things ready for VWOTG or New Mexico, where ever people might be headed.

Things to bring, ramps or jack stands, those are great for brake flushes and for the sways...special tools for your job that might be required, as I only have one set of tools and we have a lot of cars to work on. Detailing supplies, waxes, buffing compounds, including towels and other cloths as needed.  Other supplies that you think might be useful to the group.

I will have the grill up and running, so bring anything you might want to fire up and have for lunch...as well as drinks.  I am sure there will be plenty to share if everyone chips in...I can't afford to do ribs and burgers again for everyone, so it is more of a pot-luck kinda BBQ.  If you want to eat, then plan on bringing your own or stuff and maybe share with others.  We may also want paper towels, cups and things like that....for clean up and grease removal.  extra chairs for outside would be good so we can sit and chill.  If anyone has those large pop up tents to cover the cars in the drive way, we can detail outside, that way we can get more done.

Beer would be good, but remember, we will be outside all day, and may need some water or something like that as well. (I drink diet pepsi in case anyone was wondering, hehe)

I think that about covers it, I think we should be able to accomodate everyone that wants to work on their car if we all chip in and help each other out.  I plan on having a great time, hope to see you all there between 9-10am.  If I left something out, let me know and I will add it to the list.

cheers
jon

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 08:44:36 PM »
I will bring my tools by on Wednesday.  Damn, I hope I do not bottom out the car with tools, ramps, jacks and all!
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 08:44:36 PM »

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 08:51:40 PM »
Man this is going to be fun!!

I will be there in the afternoon to swap my vacume lines.  I will also be  roughing people up for donations to the Charity Drive.  So any spare change found in the seats of your car, the couch, and the pockets of the pants you wore to the strip club the night before (you all know that is where you will end up after a night of boozing at Alan's place) is much appreciated.

I am going to bring my hat and red-neck attitude so pony up or will will face my wrath!! :evil:

TIA to Jon for hosting.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 12:00:06 AM »
Link to www.audiworld.com rocky mountain region thread for who over there is planning on coming and what they want to accomplish...looks like some clear corners and some boost gauges....

http://forums.audiworld.com/rockymtn/msgs/18164.phtml

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 12:48:40 AM »
I plan on being there as early as possible.  I am getting a PET scan on Friday so i may still be "recovering" into Saturday so I'll have to play it by ear.  I will be bringing the bleeder, my jack stands, 10x10 Canopy, tools, Coors, water, some food, and I bet I can find some diet pepsi sitting around somewhere ;)

I plan on helping MattyB out with his SS and try and assist with the Brake Bleeding since I want to see how it's done.

I also plan on doing some detail work on the Audi, those with the bufffers, I would like to get some instruction and assistance in polishing and buffing.  Why? Well my paint pens came in today and I need to touch up some spots, and I will need to polish and buff those as well as trying to buff out some other light scratches on the car.

If anyone can tell me what i need to supply for doing this type of stuff I would appreciate it.

For some of you this will be your first chance to see the new ride.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 01:09:05 AM »
Jay, Alex and I are detailing our cars from top to bottom Sunday at his place.  There's probably room for one more car if you want to take the time.  I don't plan on doing anything to my car at Jon's.  It's just going to be so damn busy already.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 01:13:18 AM »
Jay, I for one am real excited to see the new ride.

As for the detailing stuff, I have some pads for the buffer, but they will only go but so far.  There are several detail shops around the area and your basic Mcguires or Mothers polishing and waxing compounds will be good for starters.  There is a place off of north Federal that has the finesse-it that is by 3M, but that stuff is real spendy and is good to do that only every once in a while as it takes down the clear coat.  the place I go to is at 74th and Federal and called Finish Master, they also sell the buffing and waxing pads.  They can help you with recommendations on the other products they have in stock.

cheers
jon

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 01:16:51 AM »
I'll plug Detailer's Paradise here.  Talk to Nick for the goods, including foam pads.  There's also a place on the SW corner of Broadway and 4th that sells this stuff.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 02:00:07 AM »
Quote from: "Denver Pat"
I'll plug Detailer's Paradise here.  Talk to Nick for the goods, including foam pads.  There's also a place on the SW corner of Broadway and 4th that sells this stuff.

- Jay - good luck with the scan on friday. Hopefully everything turns out ok.

- If you guys are going to be detailing pick up a set of pads for yourself from Nick over at Detailers Paradise. These pads are not super expensive (~$10), but they only last so long.

I know Jon and everyone else is willing to share almost every tool they have and many of their detailing supplies, but it would be really nice for everyone that is going to share Porter Cable buffers with everyone that each person supply their own foam pads.  According to Nick these pads usually only last about 8-10 uses before they get pretty beat up.  If you guys need supplies Nick has almost everything in stock.

Sorry i am going to miss another GTG...  Hopefullysee everyone  next time:(

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 02:04:51 AM »
Quote from: "Eric18T"
...but it would be really nice for everyone that is going to share Porter Cable buffers with everyone that each person supply their own foam pads.

Good call, Eric.  You can never have too many pads, polishes and waxes around.  The more we can get the better.  Like Jon said, some of the stuff is not cheap.
Sorry to hear you're gonna miss the GTG, Eric.  We'll hook up soon.
-Chuck Patterson

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 07:51:36 PM »
I'll bring a box of detailing supplies, and I'm picking up a Porter Cable buffer tomorrow with plenty of pads.  Don't know how much detailing I'll do since I have a few mods to do to my car, but I'll bring the supplies to share anyways.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2004, 07:55:44 PM »
nice Alan, every bit we can get will help.  I have heard mixed things about the weather, so we may not even be able to detail if it is raining....

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2004, 07:56:35 PM »
I have a orbital/random buffer and a couple of pads that someone can use.  Probably not as fancy as the Porter Cable, but it has served me well for many years.  I will bring it Saturday.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2004, 01:12:29 AM »
Quote from: "Denver Pat"
Quote from: "Eric18T"
...but it would be really nice for everyone that is going to share Porter Cable buffers with everyone that each person supply their own foam pads.

Good call, Eric.  You can never have too many pads, polishes and waxes around.  The more we can get the better.  Like Jon said, some of the stuff is not cheap.
Sorry to hear you're gonna miss the GTG, Eric.  We'll hook up soon.

Looks like i will be attending afterall. The weather where i was heading isn't looking too good, so it looks like i can hang out with you guys.  I will bring my Porter Cable over so if someone wants to use it they can.  Does anyone need me to bring any tools? Or a jack?

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.amandaspear.com/ubergrrl/index.html
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2004, 01:30:08 PM »
Glad you will be able to come, Eric - you ought to bring whatever you have- tools, jack, etc.. we can always use them. We never can have enough jacks. I know I need a jack and some jack stands to work on my belly pan which I will try to pick up before Saturday, but I may not be able to...
MWJD?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2004, 01:47:33 PM »
Well my scan got cancelled, thanks to One Health Plan bastards.  Anyway, doesn;t look like a barium hangover for me, so I should be there bright and early so i can have the tent and my tools there for use.  Avs play at 1 though!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2004, 06:11:05 PM »
No worry about the Avs or the Derby, the TV will be on and working, so those not tooling, can provide updates on the games/races for the rest of us...

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2004, 07:16:33 PM »
I just went to Detailer's Paradise, well actually Nick & Heather's home (where they run their business).  Awesome couple who are experts in detailing -- we must have spent over an hour taking about waxing/polishing/buffing, Heather even did a check up on my car and told exactly what I do and don't need.
They carry Klasse and Einzett products where are hard to find locally.

They are willing to do demos at GTGs and special GBs.  I can't say enough nice things about them -- it's so nice to support locally to such great people like them.  I have a bunch of their cards and stickers to pass around on Saturday.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2004, 07:19:22 PM »
That's awesome Alan! Do they have a website?

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2004, 07:24:36 PM »
Quote from: "aowhaus"
I just went to Detailer's Paradise, well actually Nick & Heather's home (where they run their business).  Awesome couple who are experts in detailing -- we must have spent over an hour taking about waxing/polishing/buffing, Heather even did a check up on my car and told exactly what I do and don't need.
They carry Klasse and Einzett products where are hard to find locally.

They are willing to do demos at GTGs and special GBs.  I can't say enough nice things about them -- it's so nice to support locally to such great people like them.  I have a bunch of their cards and stickers to pass around on Saturday.

That is awesome Alan, you should have invited them over for Saturday, there will be a ton, and I mean a ton, of people here

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2004, 07:25:32 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"
That's awesome Alan! Do they have a website?

www.detailersparadise.com

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2004, 02:20:37 AM »
A much as I would love to come to this one, I won't be able to. I already have plans with the wife to test drive a few new cars for her. She really wants to test the new Turbo PT Cruiser convertable. And I want to look at that new Chrysler Pacifica. Of all the new half-SUV, half-car things on the road, I like that Pacifica best of all. It looks very nice and it is All-wheel drive to boot. Not sure if she like it or not, but I'll test drive one on a closed course this Saturday and see. Wish me luck with the Chrysler products... Ha!
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2004, 02:21:10 AM »
He's alive!
-Chuck Patterson

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2004, 04:01:47 AM »
Quote from: "Chas"
A much as I would love to come to this one, I won't be able to. I already have plans with the wife to test drive a few new cars for her. She really wants to test the new Turbo PT Cruiser convertable. And I want to look at that new Chrysler Pacifica. Of all the new half-SUV, half-car things on the road, I like that Pacifica best of all. It looks very nice and it is All-wheel drive to boot. Not sure if she like it or not, but I'll test drive one on a closed course this Saturday and see. Wish me luck with the Chrysler products... Ha!

Chas, those Pacificas have done very, very well.  there are several of the guys on the allroad forum that have switched over and seem quite happy.  Obviously not quality control comments as they are so new, but initial impressions seem favorable.  Good luck with the car shopping...let us know how it goes, and you will be missed on Saturday

cheers
jon

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2004, 02:29:56 PM »
I can't wait to see Chas's wife driving around with a Turbo PT Cruiser and a custom FMIC!

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2004, 02:42:29 PM »
Quote from: "shummer"
I can't wait to see Chas's wife driving around with a Turbo PT Cruiser and a custom FMIC!

8O  :lol:
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2004, 02:58:20 PM »
We all know that no matter what mod's are done on the ride, she will never get off the stock wheels :P  :P  :lol:  :lol:
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2004, 06:33:59 PM »
I hope everything went well, sorry i had to go back to get the Bleeder.  The Passat is sold and everything should be done by Thursday!

Also, I had all the shirts and frisbees in the trunk, I know there are some of you that i owe this stuff to so speak up.  I will go back though all my PayPal things to see what I was sent money for.  I want tog et this stuff to you before VWOTG and before some of you head to ALBQ.

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2004, 08:40:25 PM »
Jay,

Thanks for going back to get the brake bleeder. That device helped a lot! It turned a 3-person job into literally a 1-person job and cut the time to do it in half - really! We got 3 out of 4 cars done. Matt couldn't find his security key for his lugbolt so it was a no go for him.

Oh, we did Alan's last and once again, the brake fluid did not mix in 1/2 of the reservoir after all 4 corners were bled, but after we installed the wheels, it mixed! So I guess we just had to wait a few minutes.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2004, 11:54:11 PM »
Yeah, that bleeder rocks.  The hardest/longest part of it was taking off and putting the wheels back on.  After a little bit of driving I noticed a slight improvement in feel.

Thanks Jason for progamming the VAG com to the tip sport mode.  I'm really impressed, a couple minutes and shifts were smoother and faster -- a noticable improvement.  I enjoyed every minute of my drive home.

Oh, and the winner of our What time Jay will show up at Garage Day pool, goes to Hawk with his 10-10:30 bet.  He gets the winning jackpot of a whopping $6!!! (oh, and Jason owes you a buck).

I'll have pic posted soon.
Thanks to all, it was a great time!!!