Author Topic: TDIs in CO are teh suck!!!  (Read 2162 times)

s4LEX

• Stock
TDIs in CO are teh suck!!!
« on: May 05, 2004, 10:05:42 PM »
Just kidding. Actually I was dreaming last night about finding a clean TDI backup car to replace my utilitarian gas guzzling Bronco 5.8L. Now that I'm all grown up I don't find myself hauling 4 kegs around very often, so I could probably fulfill my needs with a much more sensible vehicle.

My dream TDI: White 2-door Golf GTI style w/ TDI engine running bio-diesel, roof rack, and Subie Outback ground clearance. Rip the back seats and carpeting -- Rhinoline it baby. Save some weight and haul gardening supplies around. Anyone install an Allroad suspension in a Golf for the occasional "jeep trail ride up to a sweet camping spot?" Throw some rally tires on and run Pikes Peak in the open class as a proto-bio-racer... spiked tires and Georgetown in the winter...

Good karmic balance for my black S4 bi-turbo (and pay off the debt incurred while driving my V8 5.8L urban assault vehicle for 10 years).

Back to reality -- seems TDIs only come in 4-door models. Anyone care to differ? How hard would a engine swap into a GTI be?

Did a search on the Denver Post classifieds, Autotrader, Craigslist last night. Only found 4 TDIs for sale in a 300 mile range (that included one late-80's Jetta with like 300k miles) and two were essentially asking MSRP. Heard that VW charges a premium for TDIs, but didn't know that owners did too! It seemed like there were 200 used VR6's and a SLC Corrado bounty by comparison.

What's up with that, anyone have a TDI -- do they suck in CO (mountains and winter) or do TDI owners just keep their cars forever? I see them advertised by the Boulder VW dealer all of the time so you would think there would be several used ones on the market.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 10:18:35 PM »
TDIs are made very well.  Their low horsepower is made up for with massive amounts of torque.  When the MHIV TDI was available an owner came on a drive with teh now defunct 5280_hydro fgroup and he kept up without much struggle. Shifting is key though.

With a chip you'll increase HP and efficiency and torque.  It wont win and quarter miles, but you'll get 800 miles to the tank ;)

I don;t know how the "older" TDIs pair up, but the late model ones are pretty good.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 10:18:35 PM »

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 02:01:46 AM »
Quote from: "gietl"
TDIs are made very well.  Their low horsepower is made up for with massive amounts of torque.  When the MHIV TDI was available an owner came on a drive with teh now defunct 5280_hydro fgroup and he kept up without much struggle. Shifting is key though.

With a chip you'll increase HP and efficiency and torque.  It wont win and quarter miles, but you'll get 800 miles to the tank ;)

I don;t know how the "older" TDIs pair up, but the late model ones are pretty good.

TDI's are great, And no i won't sell you ours. We like it to much. Add a chip and injectors and well, look out.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 03:34:07 AM »
I like the way you're thinking, Alex.  I think part of the reason why there's not too many in the secondary market is because not many are sold in the primary market.
TDIs are very, very popular in Germany and will likely become increasingly popular here in the next several years.  Clearly there is a cultish following right now, but I suspect that is gradually changing.  With common-rail technology, this stuff is bound to be appealing in an environment of rising gas prices.
Now, let's see you bring that dream machine to reality!
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 03:54:48 AM »
Hmm Georgetown, spiked ice tires... sounds like i have a new hobby next winter,  My Golf would haul ass on a frozen lake with spiked ice tires. :D

Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

s4LEX

• Stock
Old tires...
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 01:30:43 PM »
No better use for worn out tires than ice racing! Now I just need to find a cheap Golf TDI, but first I should probably sell the Bronco. Anyone in the market for a full-size SUV that sucks on gas?   :D

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 01:32:59 PM »
I already have one, my Scout gets about 8mi/gal. :)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 07:21:50 PM »
If I did not have the Mini, I would be all over one of the TDI's, those are awesome.  No use for a gas guzzler, I have one, mainly because i drive it too fast, hehehe

cheers
jon

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2004, 10:32:42 PM »
thier is no such thing as driveing too fast unless their are lots of little kiddies around or you hit some pole or other fixed object and wake up in the hospital and they tell you you were driveing too fast but you rember nothing. then you were probly driveing too fast. sorry im in a rambleing mood today. :D

Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2004, 02:49:02 PM »
Quote from: "Denver Pat"
I like the way you're thinking, Alex.  I think part of the reason why there's not too many in the secondary market is because not many are sold in the primary market.
TDIs are very, very popular in Germany and will likely become increasingly popular here in the next several years.  Clearly there is a cultish following right now, but I suspect that is gradually changing.  With common-rail technology, this stuff is bound to be appealing in an environment of rising gas prices.
Now, let's see you bring that dream machine to reality!

When we were looking for one for my wife last year, no one knew anything about them.. But there is a very large cult following for TDi's and they are very tunable.  We had to have the dealer locate one for us and he was not really intersted in doing that and tried to sell us a 2.0L in it's place. My wife became very fustrated with the dealerships and we finnaly went to one that actualy had what she wanted in stock and we drove it home the following day. Most people that buy TDi's buy them knowing what theya re getting and keep them for a couple 100k miles. The motor if well taken care of will easily go 300k miles and is very common in europe. The biggest problem with TDi's here in the states is the quality of deisel we get here. Our diesel has a very high sulfer content and isn;t optimal. By 2006-2007 we will have better diesel here, but more states are goign to be banning the sale of new diesel cars.  Mass and NY  will not allow the sale of any new diesel cars in their states after 2003. Trucks and work vehicles are still for sale, but cars like the TDi and th Benz are no longer avaliable.  Because of the legislative process many manufactuers are relectant in the NA market to introduce new deisel motors.

Over all the VW TDi gets 2 :thumbsup: