Author Topic: Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!  (Read 1545 times)

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!
« on: May 10, 2004, 06:33:23 PM »
So I meet a couple guys for a bike ride yesterday morning, stop for a couple errands and head home.  A couple blocks from home I pull out the keycard for my building like I usually do.  Pull up to the entrance to the underground parking garage, wait for the door to open and start to go down the ramp...

CRASH!!!  What the?!?  OH F___!  My bike was still on my damn roof rack!   :cry:  I totally forgot about it!

Outcome: My bike seems ok.  My aero bars took the impact and just got pushed down a little.  My roof rack and my car are not so lucky.  Gonna need two new bike carriers and now I've got two little dimples on the roof of my car from the tail ends of the bike carriers hitting the roof. :evil:   Also a deep scratch on the C pillar from (I think) the rear derailler.  :angry:

Needless to say, from now on, my garage keycard will go in the trunk whenever my bike goes on the roof.  Learn from my mistakes kiddies and be careful!

Now, who knows a good bodyshop? :-(
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 06:38:39 PM »
Damn Alan!  I wish that this would never happen to another biker ever again, but It has happend to me, Rian, and who knows who else.  

I did it on my Pathfinder right before I sold it and then on my B5 a year later.  It is a terrible feeling.  Southeast Auto body does great work.  I did mine up in Fort Collings and I used Carriage House, who also did a great job.  Cost me $1200 though...yikes!

Now, whenever I put the bike on the car, the garage door opener gets pulled from the sunshade and put on the seat.  Habits are just too hard to break, especially when you are tired, as I was in both circumstances...

Don't be too hard on yourself...it's not worth it.  Believe me, you will remember next time, so don't beat yourself up.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 06:38:39 PM »

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 06:43:25 PM »
Yeah, it was just force of habit to head into the garage when I got home.

I think I'll invent a collision avoidance alarm like they have on the back bumpers of SUV's, but put it on my roof rack facing forward.  ;)
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 08:15:55 PM »
Damn, that sucks.  That sucks bad.  You might want to try calling my friend Ron @ Hampden Auto Body.  I don't have their number, though.  He gave me his grill for free and sold me another part damn cheap.  Very nice guy.  I told him you might be giving him a call, so he'll recognize the story if you talk to him and he knows we're friends.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 08:22:47 PM »
I have done that before and it sucks.  What the heck is going on around here with cars getting F-ed up...
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 08:30:03 PM »
Oh man, you just had to say that the week leading up to the Albuquerque trip, didn't you?  =P
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 09:05:26 PM »
Sorry about that Alan, that does not sound good.  My father did that once, destroyed 2 bikes and the upper part of a garage, he never stopped as he drove in, just kept going.  I think he was way tired.  

I always move my garage door opener when I have my bike on there, learned that from my dad's experience, so moving your key card is a real good idea.  It is so easy to forget they are up there.

cheers
jon