Author Topic: Jetta GLI ...337 TBD. And it's grey, that's been established  (Read 3070 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
I was at Mtn. States yesterday and checked out the Jetta 337's...nice cars.
It doesn't need any mods except a chip. It's all already done, including Rogaro seats and all the trimmings. It doesn't come with fully electronic seats and HVAC and stuff though. I think I could own one however.

Also, I talked with my insiders there and the dealership sales-wise is falling apart. Most of the guys who've been there 5+ years are leaving. From what they say, it's not just their dealership either. VW's just making some bad decisions
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Scuba2001

• Modded
Jetta GLI ...337 TBD. And it's grey, that's been established
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 11:23:31 AM »
Yeah I can agree with that last comment.  VW isnt wanting to push any of their cars off the lots as much as the other car companies.  VW thinks that they can push a large luxury sedan on the market and expect it to sell like sliced bread.  VW doesnt realize that the car market today is soo competitive and that they have to be willing to deal to get a sale.  The dealer has to be customer oriented and be willing to get their face dirty and kiss some butt.  Salesman education is key with new model lines.

The Jetta GLI is a nice looking car.  One local dealer had it in Nimbus Grey with the BBS's and powdercoated calipers, etc.  One thing I would recommend would be to lower the suspenion as its still a little too high, and some decent window tint, say about 35-30%.  And we can never forget a chip and DV.

VW, shape up of ship out.  It wont be too much longer before they fall back into oblivion with their plumiting sales.

Steve

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 11:23:31 AM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 11:33:25 AM »
I agree...the GM here at Mtn. States told VW,"Let me run my dealership like I want to or accept my resignation..." His resume's on the market and he's been with MS for like 10 years.

Yes, I does need the chip, DV and new tint, but the car already sits almost 1.5" lower from the factory...the BBS wheels are sick! Anway....MS has had 2 for a few months and just got 3 more and still haven't sold any. I think they've only sold 2 Phaeton's, 1 used since they've been out. Oddly enough, they sell the Touregs really well.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

GTIguy

• Stock
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 11:47:45 AM »
Ok..let me be anal just because..

It's a Jetta GLI, not a Jetta 337..no such animal

Also they are not offered in Nimbus grey, that's an Audi only color as far as I know.

Ok..anal mode off..

Bang for the buck in my opinion you can't beat the Jetta GLI...the car is basically done cosmetically, just add a couple performance options and you're done.

The GLI comes with the same sport suspension as the 337 and 20th AE GTI's had.  In my opinion hands down the Best stock suspension ever bolted to a VW.  Take one of these cars for a drive and you'll understand where I'm coming from.
itrous is like a really hot chick with STD's, you really want to hit it , but you're worried about the aftermath.

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 01:45:55 PM »
Quote from: "GTIguy"
Also they are not offered in Nimbus grey, that's an Audi only color as far as I know.

Nimbus Grey is also a VW color and was used in some of the 99 and 2000 models.  1552's Mk4 Jetta coupe was a Nimbus grey car.

You're right about the suspension though, it already sits lower then stock.  To me with the bigger wheels that are on this car it just looks slightly out of place to still have 3 fingers width of wheel gap, just my take on it.

The rear rotors on this car are also vented rotors (not sure if the 337/20th AE cars have these, but I know the R32 does)  which adds to the great stopping and handling of the car.  Its a very nice interior, and the Recaro's are just so comfortable to the enthusiest.  Dealers may not be selling them as much as they thought because the avid enthusiest is going to say that there is no true engine difference between the GLS and GLI line.  Yes, the brakes are different, and suspension.  But most enthusiests are going to upgrade the suspension, brakes, engine and may much less then they would by getting a GLI.  And most 'point A to point B drivers arent going to see a huge difference between a GLS and a GLI.  And, can your normal car salesman really go to the full extent of showing the difference to move these models?  Dont count on it.

Steve

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 02:05:18 PM »
Nobody liked the VR6 in the GLI? That didn't last very long.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 02:10:44 PM »
Well, VW's calling the it the 337. Whatever, it's cool and I want one.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

GTIguy

• Stock
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004, 02:16:40 PM »
Quote from: "Scuba2001"
Quote from: "GTIguy"

Nimbus Grey is also a VW color and was used in some of the 99 and 2000 models.  1552's Mk4 Jetta coupe was a Nimbus grey car.

You're right about the suspension though, it already sits lower then stock.  To me with the bigger wheels that are on this car it just looks slightly out of place to still have 3 fingers width of wheel gap, just my take on it.

The rear rotors on this car are also vented rotors (not sure if the 337/20th AE cars have these, but I know the R32 does)  which adds to the great stopping and handling of the car.  Its a very nice interior, and the Recaro's are just so comfortable to the enthusiest.  Dealers may not be selling them as much as they thought because the avid enthusiest is going to say that there is no true engine difference between the GLS and GLI line.  Yes, the brakes are different, and suspension.  But most enthusiests are going to upgrade the suspension, brakes, engine and may much less then they would by getting a GLI.  And most 'point A to point B drivers arent going to see a huge difference between a GLS and a GLI.  And, can your normal car salesman really go to the full extent of showing the difference to move these models?  Dont count on it.

Steve

1552's Car was a custom paint job, that was not the original color of that car.

Yes the rear rotors on the 337's and 20AE's were vented. They also had the Audi TT front 12.3 inch brakes, as does the GLI.

The GLI is nothing more than a combination of the 337 and 20AE with 4 doors and a trunk.  All the mechanical goodies are the same.

Which 99 models did VW offer in nimbus grey? That's news to me..and I doubt it's validity.
itrous is like a really hot chick with STD's, you really want to hit it , but you're worried about the aftermath.

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004, 03:31:43 PM »
Im not sure of the exact years it was offered.  It was a rare color for VW just like Ink Blue and Fjord Blue on the Passats.  It wasnt a mainstream color but you find them around every so often.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2004, 03:54:21 PM »
Quote from: "TLJR20v"
Well, VW's calling the it the 337. Whatever, it's cool and I want one.

Yep, that's how they had it labled at the Denver Auto Show, too.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

GTIguy

• Stock
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2004, 04:28:46 PM »
No mention of 337 on the VWOA website.

http://www.vw.com/jetta/

I think a lot of folks just called it a Jetta 337 because it is similar to the 337

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2004, 05:12:14 PM »
Is this not Nimbus grey, or is it another shade of grey?

I may very well be mistaken and it could be a charcoal grey, but not sure.

Steve

GTIguy

• Stock
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2004, 05:30:58 PM »
No that isn't Nimbus Grey...

GTIguy

• Stock
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2004, 05:31:49 PM »
This is Nimbus, Audi Color only:

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2004, 05:49:11 PM »
The Jetta's are Platinum Gray
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2004, 05:55:09 PM »
Ok ok, dont get so hostile.  Too many grey's to keep straight.  8O  Either way, its still a nice color.

GTIguy

• Stock
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2004, 06:58:35 PM »
LOL...I'm not hostile.

Guess my tone just didn't come over well via the computer screen

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2004, 10:12:20 AM »
Haha...your tone was a little grey...hehhe
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

GTIguy

• Stock
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2004, 10:16:13 AM »
:cool:

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2004, 01:48:09 PM »
Pat and I sat in one at the Denver Auto Show and I liked it a lot.  It was very nice and the seats were bery well bolstered.

VW would do a lot to improve it's image by putting out more cars like this.

From a business perspective it sounds like VWOA is really setting its dealers up for failure.

Hopefully that will change though, but regardless, VW always seems like it is behind the curve on customer service.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2004, 06:10:04 PM »
I don't think that Nimbus Grey color was ever offered on any VWs.  It is a TT exclusive color (with the Optik Baseball leather interior option made originally for that color).
The Nimbus Grey is an unusual non-metallic deep putty grey (kinda like grey bondo with a clearcoat finish).  There is no color depth in it which makes it very unique.

The Silverstone Grey which is offered on later Jetta/Golf IVs is very close in tone but it metallic and has depth (it was first introduced on the B5.5s), I think it might be called Platinum Grey on Golfs and Jettas.  I've seen it on a few GTIs and GLIs and looks really nice.  I'm pretty sure that pic above is in Silverstone/Platinum Grey.

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if Mountain States relocates or close down all together.  The dealership is aging badly and seems like it's in a state of neglect for quite some time -- However, many of the VWs I've seen in town have the round Mountain States sticker on the trunk so I think they are doing well in terms of sales.
Yeah, I heard sales of VWs across the country has taken a nosedive (with exception of the Touareg), this is due to VW's aging models while competition coming up with better cars).

I didn't know Mountain States is authorized to sell the Phaeton, it seems like such a dumpy dealership to buy a $70-100,000 car.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2004, 06:32:31 PM »
Alan,

Excellent description of the color qualities of the two grays!

I also really lke the Nimbus Gray for the TT.  Just the name itself evokes a serious mental picture.

Or here's a real picture:
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.