Author Topic: VW Aero Wiper review  (Read 1176 times)

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
VW Aero Wiper review
« on: May 13, 2004, 02:57:22 PM »
Finally gat a chance to use my Aero Wipers with this recent wierd, but welcomed wet weather.

I installed these babies a couple weeks ago at our last big garage GTG.  I have gone through many different kinds of wiper blades but none really worked for me.  
- The OEM didn't make contact to the windshield well and didn't wipe it that smoothly, eventhough it was adjusted a couple times at the dealership.
- I replaced these with the VW Snow Blades (from the Driver's Gear Catalog), but I expereinced similar problems.  I found out that these wipers are basically the stock ones with a rubber boot that covers the metal bridge of the blades.
- After the Snow Blades I switched to the Bosch Triple Micro Edge which was a nice improvement, but I experienced some streaking after almost a year of use.  Also these wipers didn't fair too well in winter conditions.

After seeing these cool Aero Wipers in the dealership on some of the newer models (Touareg, Phaeton, R32 and Passats), I was thinking of giving these a try.  They have a very clean and sleek look, which you don't see much in terms of wipers, and from behind the dash they are not that noticable and are unobtrusive.  Having no metal bridging for the blades is a innovative idea, and looks cool when you lift the wipers from the windshield (they droop and go limp).  Once they are on the windshield they make even contact with the curvature of the windshield and stuck very well to the surface.

In the rain and snow, there was no streaking, were very quiet, and cleared everything in one pass.  We'll see how they fair up in winter conditions and long term durability.
They are pricey at $130 for the pair (this includes new arms which are required for proper and easy installation) which I bought from Parts4VWs.com, but I think they are well worth it in terms of quality, durability, and looks.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
VW Aero Wiper review
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 03:16:30 PM »
Alan, would you mind if we added this to the reviews section?

Rocky Mountain Club B5

VW Aero Wiper review
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 03:16:30 PM »

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
VW Aero Wiper review
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 03:28:21 PM »
Sure, I could also add some pics and installation instructions for the Mod section.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
VW Aero Wiper review
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 03:28:38 PM »
Sure, I could also add some pics and installation instructions for the Mod section.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
VW Aero Wiper review
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 07:41:21 PM »
Nice work, Alan - When it comes time to replace the blades (which will be in about 3-4 months) you can easily swap out the rubber insert for silicone.  Wal-Mart sells replacements for about $5.00 and it takes about 5 minutes to do.  I have done it a couple times and it is a nice upgrade from the OEM rubber.

BTW – I love the aero blade wipers on my car.  They are great in the snow.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065