Author Topic: CBar??  (Read 1738 times)

XCMTBing

• n00balicious
CBar??
« on: May 13, 2004, 06:05:25 PM »
I don't frequent this site all that often but I've seen the "CBar" mentioned multiple times.  I know at the one GTG I attended one gentlemen put it on his Passat. It's seems obvious based on appearances that it acts as a brace much like a strut tower bar/brace does but it's on the bottom.  Am I way off base? Where do I get one, how much, does it work on the V6, what are the advantages and/or disadvantages? The only major disadvantage I see is that it makes my clearance a bit less and in some of the places I go with my Passat that could be a big deal.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
CBar??
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 06:43:30 PM »
Yes, it can reduce clearance, but only a little bit.  It's really not a major concern.  If you want one, send an e-mail to Chas.  He can set you up with one of them.  You are correct in thinking it acts like a upper strut tower brace.  It lessens flexing in the front of your car.  It helps to make steering more responsive and lend a more solid/planted feel to your car.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Rocky Mountain Club B5

CBar??
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 06:43:30 PM »

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
CBar??
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 07:09:51 PM »
I would highly recommend one.  It tightens up drivetrain "slop" and make shifting tighter in general.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
CBar??
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 07:10:53 PM »
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"
I would highly recommend one.  It tightens up drivetrain "slop" and make shifting tighter in general.
How?  It's not a DTS.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
CBar??
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 07:13:07 PM »
Don't ask me, but it just does.  It was immediately noticeable.  My shifting was better, smoother and also my headliner became an interesting shade of mauve.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

madigan

• Modded
CBar??
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 04:01:02 AM »
IIRC, your still rolling on stock suspension? I don't think you'll notice a big difference since your not lowered...

Talk to Chas. He has gotten complaints from some people who claim no improvement in handling...those people did not have aftermarket suspension...
mad wagon

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
CBar??
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 09:59:34 AM »
Very true Mark. I've also heard that it doesn't have as much affect on the B5.5 as the B5. But I've never driven a B5.5 with it so this is just hear-say.
They come in V6, W8 and S4. I love mine. It adds that stiffness that I was trying to get for a while. Tightens up my steering ad the drivetrain slop is reduced.
However, if you have stock suspension a couple thing might happen:
1) you could notice no difference
2) you will notice how bad your stock suspension is and proceed to spend even more money on your ride...not a bad thing in my opinion. :lol:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Chas

• Modded
CBar??
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 01:31:00 AM »
Yes, I make these. And have installed everyone of the bars on each of these person's car. The bar is very much like the upper strut tower bars on cars with MacPherson strut front suspension. The Audi A4 and B5 Passat have a double firewall and that querky 4 link suspension that keeps the top end real tight. But it's the bottom end that needs to be tied together. Think of it like a box with only three sides. The box will twist and deflect in a side to side motion if forces are applied. But once the fourth side is added, the box become noticably stiffer. That's basically it.

To date, there have only been a couple folks who have told me that they felt no difference once the bar was installed on their stock Passats. But there have also been people with stock suspension Passats that have told me that the bar made a uge difference. The only explaination I have for the discrepency is that some people are just more in tune with thier cars. The bar works whether the suspension has been modified or not. It has to. The effect is just more enhanced on those cars with modifications to the suspension or wider than stock wheels.

PM me here or over at CB5.com and we can talk. I'd be happy to answer all your questions pertaining to your situation.  :)
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

Noob_Shum

• Modded
CBar??
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 12:14:13 PM »
Quote from: "madigan"
IIRC, your still rolling on stock suspension? I don't think you'll notice a big difference since your not lowered...

Talk to Chas. He has gotten complaints from some people who claim no improvement in handling...those people did not have aftermarket suspension...

My suspension is all stock, and I had a pretty meaty factory steel LTB, but the C-Bar made things stiffer :)

Jonathan

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.amandaspear.com/ubergrrl/index.html
CBar??
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 03:56:37 PM »
Quote from: "Noob_Shum"

My suspension is all stock, and I had a pretty meaty factory steel LTB, but the C-Bar made things stiffer :)

Jonathan

Yes..but the stock suspension in an S4 is quite a bit different (better!) than that of a stock Passat.. hehehe....
MWJD?