Rocky Mountain Club B5

Discussion Forums => General Discussion => Topic started by: methodicalmayhem on June 19, 2007, 06:09:24 PM

Title: Plastic adhesive
Post by: methodicalmayhem on June 19, 2007, 06:09:24 PM
What is a good all weather plastic adhesive to use without ever having to worry about it coming apart due to freezing weather or severe vibrations?

I have a little mod coming up that I need to adhere two pieces of plastic together and want to make sure that I never have to worry about it breaking apart. TIA.
Title: Re: Plastic adhesive
Post by: A4play on June 19, 2007, 06:17:23 PM
how strong does it have to be? if you use something like weld-on it's a really nice clean joint you wont see the glue it melts the two pieces together a little like superglue, but I've noticed if its not applied just right it can be somewhat weak. if you have a good surface area to glue, and you can rough up the gluing area, PL400 is probably one of the best adhesives out there. It usually comes in a caulk tube, but I think home depot and those stores sell it in a squeeze tube now. Of course I'm always a fan of hot glue hehe you'd be amazed what you can do with that stuff  :)
Title: Re: Plastic adhesive
Post by: methodicalmayhem on June 19, 2007, 06:35:02 PM
Will be taking a standard sized europlate frame and shrinking it down about 8 inches from side to side. So it would have to be strong enough to be able to be mounted to the front of the car without breaking at the seam.
Title: Re: Plastic adhesive
Post by: 03Indigo on June 19, 2007, 06:44:57 PM
quick set epoxy is the best bet, with roughed up edges, that stuff is solid.  You can get 1,5,30 minute set times....the stuff that is mix and apply.  I used it to re-attach some interior trim pieces on my doors...and they are the pulls...and they hold just fine, in fact, you would not even know I did anything.  I picked the stuff up at Lowes, but used the 30 minute set time as I wanted time to get the large pieces in place....but the 5 minute would have worked fine as the 30 minute actually took near 2 hours to set fully and not move.  I had to use clamps to keep everything aligned, which was a pain.