Rocky Mountain Club B5

Discussion Forums => General Discussion => Topic started by: ianacole on June 28, 2007, 11:10:20 AM

Title: Peace out!
Post by: ianacole on June 28, 2007, 11:10:20 AM
I'm off to MAM!!! (


Have a safe weekend everyone!
Title: Re: Peace out!
Post by: 92UrS4 on June 28, 2007, 12:29:32 PM
Have fun....punk, oh and good luck.
Title: Re: Peace out!
Post by: dubaudi on June 28, 2007, 02:20:00 PM
Good luck Ian! Have fun! ;D
Title: Re: Peace out!
Post by: Guinness on June 28, 2007, 02:32:25 PM
Hope someone will be taking lots of photographs  :)
Title: Re: Peace out!
Post by: ianacole on July 02, 2007, 01:14:11 PM
Well, I'm back, and it was a hell of a weekend.  I'll type out the story when I get some time this evening or tomorrow.  It would have turned out a lot worse if it weren't for Todd and APS!!!
Title: Re: Peace out!
Post by: DenverPat on July 02, 2007, 01:22:38 PM
Glad to hear you made it back.  Thanks again for having me stay with you.  I look forward to hearing how it all worked out.
Title: Re: Peace out!
Post by: kraut-sled on July 02, 2007, 02:52:20 PM
Welcome back.  I look forward to your take of events that made all our weekend more exciting.
Title: Re: Peace out!
Post by: ianacole on July 02, 2007, 04:22:49 PM
So, the story starts at about 10pm local time in the middle of nowhere, Iowa.  We take the exit off I-29 that is indicated by the highway "Attraction" sign for MAM.  Once off the highway, not another sign to be seen, nor is there anything else to see as it's flat and dark at 10pm in Iowa.  So, right off the exit is a closed gas station and an open motel.  I go in to ask the hotel clerk if she could tell me where the gate for the  track is, and her response..."I have no idea, I think it's 1/4 of the mile down the road."  ::)  Well, proceeding with trepidation, we find a gate about 1/4 of the mile down the road, which turns out to be the drag entry, and locked (the main gate was to be unlocked), so I jumped back in the rig and made my way around the track.  We found the main entrance, unlocked, at the southeast end of the area, where the motel is at the northwest corner ::)  So, anyways, were good, no hookups for the night, but that's what a generator is for, right?

Friday morning, I get up at 8ish, step out, and immediately start sweating.  It's 84 and muggy.  I put the canopy up, pull the car out, and retreat to the air conditioning of the rig.  Following breakfast, I go to the main building to find out about their "Fast Friday" track activities.  Turns out to be $110 for the full day, or $80 for a half day.  After talking with Megan it's decided that I could go out in the afternoon for the half day.  Cool, get some track time with the new tires and the new dynamics of the car with the cage.

2pm rolls around (start of afternoon session), I jump in my car and head out on the track.  Pit out exits into turn 14 that leads to the front straight.  I'm in second gear as I exit pit out lane, negotiating the final part of the corner to get onto the straight.  On the straight, shift into 3rd, punch it, and....nothing but climbing RPMs.  Ohhhh, guessed it, clutch was dead.  I use the first couple of corners to verify this, hoping that it'll start to grab, to no avail.  I get the car around the track (not even a full lap), pull underneath the canopy, jump out of the car and grab my phone.

The story would have a much worse outcome if it weren't for the fact that Todd at APS rules!!!  I call him at ~3:30pm his time, Friday, after all the shops on the east coast are closed, and with only 30 minutes before central time zone shops close.  I tell him my woes and ask if he can work on finding a clutch in the area or have one overnighted.  He drops everything that he's doing and starts working on finding me a clutch.  Meanwhile, I start dismantling the car.  ~1.5 hours later, we have the tranny on the ground, and a call from Todd letting me know that a new clutch is coming from Southbend clutch and will be delivered to a local dealership in the morning.  Whew!  The weekend may not turn out to be an entire loss after all.

After talking with Todd, it was decided that we should try to save the 7lb. flywheel that's on the car because SB only had a 14lb. one on hand (which they shipped).  I run out to the local NAPA to pick up some sandpaper, steel wool, burnishing pads, whatever to clean up the amazingly glazed flywheel, and a set of triple-square bits to remove the flywheel to make cleaning it up a little easier.  The response from the NAPA clerk when asking for the bits - "Triple...what?"  Great - guess I'll be cleaning the flywheel on the motor, not easy, but doable.  I get it all cleaned up, have a few people come over to inspect and bless my work.  Now, it's just a waiting game on the delivery of the clutch.

10AM Saturday morning, delivery time - I'm at the dealership awaiting delivery.  10:15, 10:30, nothing.  We don't know what delivery service was used, and calls to both major carriers net no information.  10:45, no delivery yet, so I decide I'm going to run up to the store and grab some provisions (I won't mention the panicked call to Todd who told me be patient).  Get in the truck I borrowed, back out, head out to the parking lot exit, when I see a UPS truck round the corner and pull into the dealership.  I pull back in and sure enough, he's got my clutch!!!  Whew!!!  Now all I need to do is get it back, get it installed, and have a 500 mile break in (yah, right ::) ).

A very nice clutch, by the way - a 4-puck, non-organic disc.

Once I get back, I get a lot of help from a variety of people to get everything back installed.  Takes about 2 and 1/2 hours to get it all back together, to include a bleeding of the clutch slave.  Now, does it work?  I get permission to jump in the middle of the HPDE1/2 group to get some time on the clutch.  I get in the car, put it in reverse, and start to try backing out.  The clutch grabs real early, and doesn't want to let go.  Floating the clutch is a learning experience as this clucth just wants to go.  I get out on track, run it a few laps before the checkered flag comes out, and everything is working fine.  I get one more session (20 minute) during the HPDE3 group, which allows for the true test of the clutch - Dave Balinget running my car in the 2 hour enduro that evening!!!

Sunday, I spent the day driving, getting faster each session as I learned the line, got comfortable with the limits of the new Nitto NT-01, and the rotation and the stiffness of the car since this was the first time on track since the cage was installed.

All-in-all it was a great weekend.  Todd was instrumental in making it all come together.  Without his help it would have been a very expensive sightseeing trip to MAM.  My heartfelt "thanks."
Title: Re: Peace out!
Post by: jayryan on July 02, 2007, 05:36:26 PM
Awesome awesome awesome!!
Title: Re: Peace out!
Post by: DenverPat on July 02, 2007, 06:38:02 PM
Great news, Ian!
Title: Re: Peace out!
Post by: SweetVW on July 02, 2007, 08:34:40 PM
WOW!  That is amazing.  I a glad the weekend was not a loss and that the new clutch is working like a champ.
Title: Re: Peace out!
Post by: 03Indigo on July 02, 2007, 08:45:22 PM
sounds like a stressful, but yet rewarding weekend, glad it turned out for the best.
Title: Re: Peace out!
Post by: shummer on July 10, 2007, 06:28:05 PM
Peace out!

Title: Re: Peace out!
Post by: Colorado_Baja on July 18, 2007, 08:27:16 AM
Your hardcore Ian.
Glad it all worked out in the end.